GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wondering about resale already

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-02, 01:00 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering about resale already

I am thinking of grabbing a GX (I am #1 or 2 on the list at my dealer) and then if (1) the rear side door continues to bum me out, or (2) I like the new RX more, I would trade in the GX.

The question is .... how badly will I be burned? Assuming the full package and that the price is $50K, what do you think my trade in will look like in 5-6 months, with <10,000 miles?

(My current lease expires 1/3/03 - and I don't want to buy it out at the current residual. Renting an SUV in NYC is about $1K/mo, but if anyone has other ideas for bridging the gap...I would sure appreciate...can't use my SC430 in NYC winter).

Of course I may LOVE the GX...never know.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-02, 02:26 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are going to eat a ton of cash if you give the GX back to the dealer in favor the new RX, however, demand may be strong enough in the open market that you might be able to have someone just take over your lease. This way you're only out your down payment (heck, you may even be able to negotiate that into the sale as well). I would recommend that you hold on to your money, keep driving whatever it is you are driving, get your name off that waiting list, and wait for both the new GX and RX to show up on the showroom floors. Test drive both, then make an educated and wiser decision.

Last edited by Jayson; 11-13-02 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 11:48 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Add 3rd row later?

I am going to buy rather than lease - so at least I wont get killed with the early termination of a lease.

I want to buy the combination that will have the best resale - so I assume that means fully loaded. I would probably not be interested in the 3rd row/rear AC if I wasn't concerned about a possible quick sale (I will probably store the "3rd row" in my basement for the duration) - however I am afraid that most/many people will want it.

Does anyone know if the seats can be purchased after? Does the base vehicle have the required "hooks" for seat addition later?
Old 11-18-02, 02:44 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Well

I am thinking that while the 3rd row is technically optional.. it will be coming on all models being built. Kind of how leather is optional on some models. It's almost impossible to find a Lexus without leather. You'd need to specially order it, which would take longer. And I'm sure the hardware wouldn't be in the car if you didn't have the seat. It would take a mounting kit of some sort. Which might not even be possible without major work.
Old 11-20-02, 10:18 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Dealer filled me in

There will be no version of the truck without the third row. It is not an option. Oh well - thats one fewer issue to tackle.
Old 11-23-02, 05:25 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs down Hardly a suprise there!......

Originally posted by Knicksfan
There will be no version of the truck without the third row. It is not an option. Oh well - thats one fewer issue to tackle.
........typical Toyota marketing.....they give you the option only in theory ..........Remember the RX 300?? .....technically leather interior was an option, but where have you seen an RX with cloth seats?? .....go figure ........My point is why make the option list so confusing and unrealistic. In theory it seems very appealing to pick and choose options and "custom-build" the vehicle exactly to one's liking, but the reality is you can never possibly hope to get one the way you want it!

That's why I'm so pissed off with Toyota. I was in the market to buy an '03 4Runner Limited V8 4-WHEEL DRIVE with ALL the options they have (basically everything but the proverbial kitchen sink) - JBL/Navigation, Air suspension, Side Curtains and Moonroof (Don't really know what rocket-science this involves??) .........but, of course, true to Toyota's marketing games this vehicle exists only in theory, and in some "select" regions that the marketing morons think they should sell them, like North Dakota - go figure that one too - ....... and in the wishful minds of people like me

Last edited by vicpai; 11-23-02 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-23-02, 05:38 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Vic.. those are about the only way they have 4Runner Limiteds here in Chicago... Fully Loaded