GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Skid Plate Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 06:25 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Skid Plate Needed?

If you don't go off-roading, is it really necessary to have the skid plate? Bolts broke off during recent oil change and plan on drilling out the old bolts. But is the skid plate rally needed?
Old 07-03-12, 06:56 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
If you don't go off-roading, is it really necessary to have the skid plate? But is the skid plate rally needed?
No and no.

However, unless you plan to keep your GX until it completely self-destructs, the next owner may want to have it.
Old 07-06-12, 06:34 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RickC5
No and no.

However, unless you plan to keep your GX until it completely self-destructs, the next owner may want to have it.
Thanks. For the feedback. It seems that most GX owners don't go off road, so why have it. Should have been an accessory option. Another way for stealership to make money!
Old 07-06-12, 07:24 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Thanks. For the feedback. It seems that most GX owners don't go off road, so why have it. Should have been an accessory option. Another way for stealership to make money!
If Lexus had made it an "option," we would have complained that it should be standard equipment on a 4x4 like the GX.

They SHOULD have left a hole wide enough to get a big arm in to change the oil filter.
Old 07-06-12, 10:08 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cdew002
If Lexus had made it an "option," we would have complained that it should be standard equipment on a 4x4 like the GX.

They SHOULD have left a hole wide enough to get a big arm in to change the oil filter.
There is a big hole, just remove the skid plate.
Old 07-06-12, 03:05 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skid plate does keep debris away from engine compartment, which helps prevent corrosion. In a state which salts, the skid plate makes a big difference, I would say keep it.
Old 07-07-12, 03:24 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
Skid plate does keep debris away from engine compartment, which helps prevent corrosion. In a state which salts, the skid plate makes a big difference, I would say keep it.
Living in Western Colorado (no salt here), I hadn't thought about debris & salt getting into the engine compartment.

Thinking a bit more about leaving the skid plate off entirely, there's at least a possibility that the under-vehicle aerodynamics might also be disrupted/changed/modified in a negative way, resulting in worse gas mileage and possibly altered handling at freeway speeds.

So, while the skid plate can be left off, it just may be a better idea to simply re-install it after the oil change. Personally, I will re-install mine for sure. Who knows when we might be going to Moab again?
Old 07-07-12, 03:56 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

there are several people with infiniti g35 (car weigh 3.5k lbs) who lost their plastic undercover (twice the size of our skid plate)... i remember 2 of the members stated that since they are in california they just leave if off and no issues and stated unless you drive over 100mph regularly the driving dynamics didn't change at all...

also the gx is like over 1k lbs more than a g35 so the dynamic change is even less (and the undercarriage opening is smaller as well)...
Old 07-11-12, 07:49 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace the bolts with good quality stainless and apply anti-seize. If you really wanted to get creative: install pin-studs in the holes and attach the plate with quick disconnect pins(and rubber washers to prevent rattle), or you could use a wing nut with a retention pin to prevent it backing off. I can think of many other good quick disconnect options that would work well in this application, just make a trip to Fastenal or similar, I'm sure you will find something that will work. Whatever you decide I would keep the skid plate simply because it is not hurting anything being there and Lexus likely put it there for good reason.
Old 07-11-12, 09:19 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

1, the plastic undertray is not a 'skid plate.' a skid plate is designed to prevent your engine from coming in contact with hard 'things' that would damage it. so building a 'skid plate' out of plastic would be foolish.

2,the plastic undertray has multiple purposes. as well as those already stated, (such as fighting corrosion,) the plastics also:
-keep flammable materials (newspaper, etc) from entering the engine bay and causing a fire hazard
-improve undercar aerodynamics as well as improves engine cooling at the same time. without it, the air that travels under your car would go up into your engine bay in a turbulent mess, reducing cooling efficiency. where as with it, air will travel through your radiator and then exit the engine bay via strategic holes placed in the plastic undertray.

3, the idea of an actual METAL skid plate for under your car is a great idea especially if youre lowered. it will prevent damage to your oil pan via speed bumps, potholes, or other road debris.

anyways, youre fine running without one. your car wont overheat, and there most likely wont be a fire, but those are some of the reasons your undertray is there.
Old 07-11-12, 09:36 AM
Partywave
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.evolutionimport.com makes high quality aluminum skid plates for VW and Audi. I wish some company made a replacement skid plate/belly pan for Lexus GX and RX vehicles:

The plate is 5052 grade aluminum and is 4.8mm (.188 inches) thick.

Old 07-11-12, 10:20 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

damn, thats nice.
Old 07-11-12, 11:05 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ProperD
1, the plastic undertray is not a 'skid plate.' a skid plate is designed to prevent your engine from coming in contact with hard 'things' that would damage it. so building a 'skid plate' out of plastic would be foolish.

2,the plastic undertray has multiple purposes. as well as those already stated, (such as fighting corrosion,) the plastics also:
-keep flammable materials (newspaper, etc) from entering the engine bay and causing a fire hazard
-improve undercar aerodynamics as well as improves engine cooling at the same time. without it, the air that travels under your car would go up into your engine bay in a turbulent mess, reducing cooling efficiency. where as with it, air will travel through your radiator and then exit the engine bay via strategic holes placed in the plastic undertray.

3, the idea of an actual METAL skid plate for under your car is a great idea especially if youre lowered. it will prevent damage to your oil pan via speed bumps, potholes, or other road debris.

anyways, youre fine running without one. your car wont overheat, and there most likely wont be a fire, but those are some of the reasons your undertray is there.
My skid plate is metal. Are you referencing the piece of plastic attached to the bumper and skid plate?
Old 07-11-12, 01:32 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

ahh i see. sorry i am not familiar with your car, i am just used to people calling the plastic undertray a skid plate
Old 07-11-12, 01:39 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

on trucks it's always a metallic skid plate... on cars it's just an undercarriage cover made out of plastic...