GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 03:20 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you came to the gx forum so you will hear lots of praise here on the gx...
but regardless... rx is a girl's car... this is not coming from just another guy but all my female friends drive rx330 or 350 and they even tell me it's made for a girl...

just get a honda pilot... car base platform like rx but big and heavy like the gx...

Last edited by clubsport; 07-18-12 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 04:26 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I double checked Edmunds to make sure my memory was correct. The cargo space behind the front seat with second row seats down in the RX 350 is 85 cu ft. The space behind the front seats in the GX 470 with second row seats flipped is 78 cu ft. The RX seats fold flat making the difference. The space in the GX may be more useable because it is more square. My wife and I both much prefer my GX over her RX on long trips
Old 07-19-12, 01:23 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdew002
No it's not. There are about 4 major blind spots, not to mention the rear tailgate window.
Yeah I am talking about overhead front. Your right about the blind spots. They suck. But that's not unique to the RX alone.
Old 07-19-12, 01:33 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clubsport
you came to the gx forum so you will hear lots of praise here on the gx...
but regardless... rx is a girl's car... this is not coming from just another guy but all my female friends drive rx330 or 350 and they even tell me it's made for a girl...

just get a honda pilot... car base platform like rx but big and heavy like the gx...
Honestly the whole "girls car" thing is a bunch of surface crap. I know what you mean, however it's culture that decides that and I really could care less about what others think in that matter. It's pretty juvenile and very surface. Cars have been designed the last twenty years with the woman's eye in mind. Fact. Know your industry.

I am really not interested in arguing about it over a forum. Talk is cheap. My RX is anything but a girls car. I can message you photos. It's been at SEMA and in talks now to be featured in a Japanese Car Styling Magazine. If we can't get around this subject well I dunno what else to say.

I expected some praise but hoped for some level headed opinions as well. So I think I came to the right place.
Old 07-19-12, 01:35 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrbyrn
I double checked Edmunds to make sure my memory was correct. The cargo space behind the front seat with second row seats down in the RX 350 is 85 cu ft. The space behind the front seats in the GX 470 with second row seats flipped is 78 cu ft. The RX seats fold flat making the difference. The space in the GX may be more useable because it is more square. My wife and I both much prefer my GX over her RX on long trips
Now THAT's very interesting. I am going to have to confirm that. Might be the thing that keeps me from getting one.

RX: Cargo capacity: rear seat down (cu ft): 84.7 and all seats in place (cu ft): 38.3

GX: Cargo capacity: rear seat down (cu ft): 77.5 and all seats in place (cu ft): 49.7

Good info. It's the space with the seats up (not the third row version) that I am concerned about. The GX has about 10cu ft. more.

Last edited by infinirx; 07-19-12 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 07:12 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by infinirx
Now THAT's very interesting. I am going to have to confirm that. Might be the thing that keeps me from getting one.

RX: Cargo capacity: rear seat down (cu ft): 84.7 and all seats in place (cu ft): 38.3

GX: Cargo capacity: rear seat down (cu ft): 77.5 and all seats in place (cu ft): 49.7

Good info. It's the space with the seats up (not the third row version) that I am concerned about. The GX has about 10cu ft. more.
Something else to look into is if those GX numbers include the 3rd row removed or just folded up. I'd estimate that they take up at least 20 cubic feet when folded in the truck.
Old 07-19-12, 10:29 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default this is not a personal attack

it's just an opinion... welcome to the wolrd of forums...
anyway, i realize ur not hindered by image... that's why i suggested the honda pilot... it's like the rx more than the gx... tons of space for golf bags...

btw i have own more than 3 sport coupes over the price tag of $35k each so i am not new to the car industry... i know single ladies are impressed by rolexes and nice cars so u ain't teachin me anything new... lol

Honestly the whole "girls car" thing is a bunch of surface crap. I know what you mean, however it's culture that decides that and I really could care less about what others think in that matter. It's pretty juvenile and very surface. Cars have been designed the last twenty years with the woman's eye in mind. Fact. Know your industry.

I am really not interested in arguing about it over a forum. Talk is cheap. My RX is anything but a girls car. I can message you photos. It's been at SEMA and in talks now to be featured in a Japanese Car Styling Magazine. If we can't get around this subject well I dunno what else to say.

I expected some praise but hoped for some level headed opinions as well. So I think I came to the right place.
Old 07-19-12, 10:58 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cdew002
Something else to look into is if those GX numbers include the 3rd row removed or just folded up. I'd estimate that they take up at least 20 cubic feet when folded in the truck.
Yeah that's the info I am wondering about. I dunno if they are talking about the same version or if that Cargo capacity: all seats in place (cu ft): 49.7 means the the third row. It's not enough detail.
Old 07-19-12, 06:45 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Point is that the GX is not a race car nor should it be confused with being fast.

"Trust, but verify." Quote by a former President of the US.
Old 07-20-12, 10:22 AM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Think the RX is just not big enough and I'm not a big guy. The GX is a more comfortable drive.
Old 07-20-12, 04:19 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Originally Posted by RickC5
I was loaned an RX350 when we last visited the Lexus dealer. Agree that there's not much room. The BIG difference IMHO, is that the RX is a car, not a truck. A very nice small car with AWD, but a car.

I guess it all depends on what you want.
I got one as a loaner a couple years back, too. They're definitely a different beast. Seems to me you'd drive an RX if you want pretty decent gas mileage AND a little bit of cargo/people space. Get a GX if you want no-so-great gas mileage AND you want considerably more cargo/people space, all-time 4wd, the ability to tow up to 6500 lbs and some other fancy extras that an RX doesn't give you.

Also something to note, it rides much more like a truck than an RX, so if ride quality is important to you (i.e. You have a long commute & really crappy roads) you may want to keep your RX.

My wife & I have gone back and forth debating whether moving down to an RX is a good idea, but we keep coming back to the facts:
1. Our GX is paid off 2. We have 2 great danes & a newborn that need a ride simultaneously sometimes 3. All-time 4wd is AWAZING for our hellaciously random Spokane winters 4. The list goes on, but I'm sure you can think of a similar list as to why your RX is great and why you should keep it.
Old 07-20-12, 06:42 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brycejaq
I got one as a loaner a couple years back, too. They're definitely a different beast. Seems to me you'd drive an RX if you want pretty decent gas mileage AND a little bit of cargo/people space. Get a GX if you want no-so-great gas mileage AND you want considerably more cargo/people space, all-time 4wd, the ability to tow up to 6500 lbs and some other fancy extras that an RX doesn't give you.

Also something to note, it rides much more like a truck than an RX, so if ride quality is important to you (i.e. You have a long commute & really crappy roads) you may want to keep your RX.

My wife & I have gone back and forth debating whether moving down to an RX is a good idea, but we keep coming back to the facts:
1. Our GX is paid off 2. We have 2 great danes & a newborn that need a ride simultaneously sometimes 3. All-time 4wd is AWAZING for our hellaciously random Spokane winters 4. The list goes on, but I'm sure you can think of a similar list as to why your RX is great and why you should keep it.
I agree with all your comments. If we had come across an RX instead of the GX, I doubt we would have bought it. Why? We already own an ES350, and another vehicle with minimal hauling capability and essentially no off-road capability we don't need. We traded in a 2010 Honda Ridgeline on our '08 GX, and while the Ridgeline was an acceptable truck, it's no Lexus! The GX meets our needs and we couldn't be happier.

Before I forget, our ES is the Moon Shell Mica color, which is PINK! The wife loves it and I don't care. It's a great highway car even if it's considered a chick car. Actually, an RX might be a good vehicle to replace the ES in a few years.

BTW- That RX we drove had some really nice features, like the hole under the console for the wife's purse and those huge, hinged storage compartments in the front doors (no wonder chicks LOVE it!). We both thought the "joystick" was gimmicky, and not as user-friendly as the GX's touch-screen, but we were able to use it after a short learning curve. We only drove the RX in town, so can't comment on road manners or quietness at highway speeds.

Re: Cargo space--I did some crude measurements in our GX with the third seat removed & the second seat folded and came up with about 90 cubic feet of space. Now this sure wasn't scientific by any means, but it's sure obvious to me that there's much more than 77.5 cubic feet of space back there. It's HUGE--MUCH more room than the RX we drove--MUCH more.

Last edited by RickC5; 07-20-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 07:13 PM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

I drive an 08 GX while my wife drives 08 RX350...that being said - I never mind driving her car if necessary - it's smoother on paved roads, good acceleration (RX330 has an older 3.3L engine, which is not nearly as peppy as the new 3.5L, so if you think acceleration is important - definitely go with the RX350 (starting from 2007 model year).

Cargo space is definitely more ample in the GX - I removed the 3rd row seats (tinted the rear quarter and back windows to limo dark cause there"s no cargo cover option if GX has 3 rows) and trust me the cargo space does not begin to compare - RX roof is too sloped to accept any large items.

GX is more quiet, especially at highway speeds, given it has 17" wheels with fat tires 265/65, as oppose to RX 18", which are considerably noisier. I also think the cabin insulation is better in the GX.

One minor gripe I have with the 1st Gen GX is that they do not have auto-dimming side mirrors, which IMO is a shame cause a much cheaper RX and ES have them starting from 2001-2002 model year...not sure what Lexus was thinking! (They fixed that gaffe with the 2nd Gen GX460). As I enjoy driving at night lights from the traffic behind sometimes are bothersome, especially from the big trucks.

Fuel economy: my GX is 15-17mpg mixed and 20-21mpg hwy only. Our RX is 17-18 mixed but on hwy only it has given us as high as 27mpg on a recent 300m+ trip. So we definitely prefer driving RX on the long trips.

Whatever you decide to do - good luck!
Old 07-21-12, 06:38 AM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Well I'm sure Japanese women will love to read about it when the magazine hits the newsstand

On the RX forum you will find lots of people who prefer the RX, and if you don't do much off roading or encounter harsh elements very often, sure from a "driver's" perspective the RX is a better car. Smaller, lighter, handles tighter, faster(if it's the RX350).

But the GX is the choice for us here, we like the looks, capabilities and substantial feel. I was shopping for a truck when I bought mine.
Old 07-21-12, 08:50 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

I'd kinda like to see some pictures. Got any you can post?

Quick Reply: Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?