GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 10:12 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

infinirx,
I've just made this videos last week comparing 65 - 70 mph freeway noise between our 2012 RX350 vs 2006 GX470, taken with iphone4s (not sure how good iphone4s audio quality) , fully closed windows, sunroof and radio off, iphone 4s non-edited audio. I can't stand RX350 freeway humming noise, eventhough easy fix my kids just blasting the radio, the 4 blind spots and dashboard design sucks, although better highway gas mileage average (19 mpg), I did like bluish cluster color ( F-sport).
hear it for yourself.

RX350
http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/a...=2012RX350.mp4

GX470
http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/a...nt=gx470-1.mp4

Last edited by vince22; 07-22-12 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-22-12, 12:53 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^
wow nice videos dude...
2nd gen rx350 rocks... love those little cars... so damn expensive optioned...
Old 07-22-12, 03:33 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^
Agree, nice videos. Before I played them both I was doubting the difference in noise levels, but it sure is noticeable.

FWIW, our GX gets about 18-19 mpg on the highway, as long as we keep the speed at 65-70 mph. Our old Honda Ridgeline didn't get any better mileage with its V6, which was a dog.
Old 07-22-12, 03:40 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vince22
infinirx,
I've just made this videos last week comparing 65 - 70 mph freeway noise between our 2012 RX350 vs 2006 GX470, taken with iphone4s (not sure how good iphone4s audio quality) , fully closed windows, sunroof and radio off, iphone 4s non-edited audio. I can't stand RX350 freeway humming noise, eventhough easy fix my kids just blasting the radio, the 4 blind spots and dashboard design sucks, although better highway gas mileage average (19 mpg), I did like bluish cluster color ( F-sport).
hear it for yourself.

RX350
http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/a...=2012RX350.mp4

GX470
http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/a...nt=gx470-1.mp4
Funny and that's the new 3rd gen 350. You would think they would have improved ALLOT on cabin noise but seems no.
Old 07-25-12, 10:19 AM
Rgf49er
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have owned 4 Lexus since 2008, 3 of them GS300 (98, 2001 & 06) The 06 is my favorite.I have driven everything as for 5 years I would go to all the Lexus events and drive them and my service manager at Lexus always supplies a loaner from RX, ES, SC430, etc. Before you read on, note I love my 2004 GX470 and have found NO other SUV value to price to quality match or supass the GX. The GX470 I own I bought in October 2003. I have over 152K miles, driven as much as 3600 miles in one week (June 2012) from San Francisco to Colorado Springs to Mt. Rushmore. My GX replaced my 98 Expedition Eddie Bauer, which I had for 6 years and I loved it. I sold it as the gas mileage was horrible. The new RX is very nice but as far as what would I buy the RX450H is worth looking at if you want a SUV with a car like feel. The gas mileage is great but it is equal to my GS300. I have driven several over the last 9 years and the new hybrid is the best. Horespower in the RX450H is very good and the car is very quiet. Room in the back does not support a 3rd row but it has good space. If you want a car like feel you might want to get a GS350 or the GS hybrid. The RX. is a very good car and I have plenty of friends who own one, but I warn them that the key to a Lexus like any luxury car is the maintenance. If you dont want to pay $100 for an oil change, then do not buy one. The price is of a RX450H is almost as much as as a GS and a GX460 / 470.

When I bought the GX I looked at the RX and the LX, but when I found out the interior of the GX was better then the LX, the fuel economy was better, the features, ride, and the configuration of the 3rd Row was easier the the LX. The vehicle is 6000 lbs. and came in handy with driving this year in 35 to 65 mph cross winds on the freeway. We were not thrown around like most other trucks. The GX tows, effortlessly, the load leveling works very well. Has greater power and can run at above average speeds and still got 17.5 mpg. I just changed the filter to an AEM K&N dry filter and my mileage jump to 20 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. The GX has a great tranny, I have driven in the snow, sleet and at high altitudes of 11k feet above sea level. The RX is a great starter car just like the ES is a great intro.

The question I would ask are you in need of a 3rd Row, do you consistently do maintenance of your vehicle? The cost of a 150k miles at the Lexus dealer is $900. $550 in labor, if you are handy you can do most of it yourself and save $$$. The GX and the RX like any SUV has some expensive parts, namely tires, maintenance, and since it is a Lexus you need to know it is expensive to maintain. IF you are handy and you dont mind getting your hands dirty then you can do most maintenance on your own, like changing your halogens for the cost of parts versus paying Lexus $100 per hour. (Turn signal light $3 part vs. Lexus $30 incl labor)

I love my GX470 I drive it everywhere, and my friends, colleagues and family note that the car looks brand new. I have everything from tow package, rear spoiler, DVD player ( a must for kids and long drives) 3rd row. I have moved furniture, big shopping trips to Costco and out on the town. My 16 year old daughter loves the sound system and she drives it daily to her high school and back. I have driven from Concord, CA to San Diego many times with as many as 6 people and their belongings to Football and competitions. The Load leveling feature works and works well. Their is more, I drive it to NHRA in Sonoma every year with 5 large adults, as tall as 6'5'' and I get lots of complements at the races. The power of the all the time 4 wheel drive comes in handy in soft sand, dirt and mud. If you need more drop me a line. BTW the resale value of a GX is better then a RX, but if you can't buy a GX then buy the 450H it is a great car.
Old 08-01-12, 10:56 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Guys thanks for your input. I am exited to say I am seeing two GX's this week.

One is a 2006 black on black. $22k Fully equipped. It's 101k miles though at about blue book price. So I am asking to take it into a Lexus dealer for a check even though they say they give it a 300 count check at their Audi dealer. Black on black is gonna get really hot in Cali but I love the combo.

The other Is about 72k miles 2007 white with tan interior. But it's allot more at $26k. Gonna be really hard to negotiate for that one. I need to keep in at about $20k. Plus I really am not a big fan of the tan interior. But LOVE the white.

Last edited by infinirx; 08-01-12 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 04:22 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2008 GX, that I bought almost two years ago. When I first bought it with around 46K miles, I set up an appointment to get the clunk fixed and the pitted wheels replaced, and other misc, thanks to reading this forum first.

During that time around Christmas, I was given a new RX to drive, while my car was being repaired. Due to a wheel delay, getting replacements, I had the new RX for about a week. Liked the electronics, interior storage features, joy stick on the consule, a little more nimble, but I couldn't get past the ride and overall road noise. The wind of the V6, trying to pull the crossover, was annoying.

Maybe I am a truck guy at heart, but gettng back in the GX, the absolute quiet and smooth ride (on the freeway) was heaven. Yes, you float a little on the softest suspension setting, but wind noise was less. If I don't put my foot too deep into the gas peddle, I don't hear the engine, and almost never feel it shift. In the RX going up a grade, the transmission has to kick back a gear, to pull the load. If the hill isn't too steep, the torque of the GX, just pulls through in the same gear. Also driven a Buick Onclave, the wind and noise of that 6 cyclinder, made it a very short test drive. Gas mileage isn't an issue for me. Yes, I run premium fuel, although I could get away with less octane.

My vote is GX.

Last edited by Ancient; 08-02-12 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 09:45 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I used to drive a Ford Expedition. Drove it 7K all over the USA and I will never forget it. The RX is nice. I love mine. I hate the cabin noise! It's so bad. Esp after I had the windshield replaced and but in an exhaust system.
Old 08-03-12, 03:52 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

After some painful negotiations Took this home tonight.

All I really want now is to get the rear spoiler for it. I love how it looks on these trucks.

bad pic but....

Taking it to Lexus in the morning for a good check up to see if I was not sold a lemon. So far it's fantastic. Full of power and all the options I could ever want.
Old 08-03-12, 05:23 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Looks great man
Old 08-03-12, 05:39 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome, Congrats!!
Old 08-03-12, 08:50 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Personally I feel it's what I should have gotten two years ago instead of the RX. Not that I have not had tuns of joy from the RX but ......
Old 08-03-12, 09:09 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by infinirx
After some painful negotiations Took this home tonight.
Congratulations! -- I joined the GX 'Club' three days ago so we're both new this week!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 08-03-12, 09:49 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kermee
Congratulations! -- I joined the GX 'Club' three days ago so we're both new this week!

Cheers,
Kermee
Yup! Different crowd than the RX. Interesting how each car group has it's own personality.
Old 08-03-12, 12:56 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Hey these headlights seem a tad yellow. Are they not HID? Would seem they should be. My 2005 RX night lights are.

Quick Reply: Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?