GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help, please, can't start the truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 09:48 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovelexus2
I also posted the same thread on the LS430 forms, and got some more input, below are posted by " Locksmithy"

:::::

Though this situation is described as satisfactory, please allow me to STRONGLY urge NOT to use lubricants containing graphite or Teflon, nor dry graphite in most any lock.

Mfr used a lithium paste grease, or equivalent. Introduction of graphite will GENERALLY create caking in the lock, and thus a malfunction.

IF there is sticking, it is because of either wear on the key, wear in the lock, or a lock wafer or wafer slot deformation. The repair is to service the lock.

So, even though in this situation, the sticky lock wafer happened to loosen up an work, this use of graphite will USUALLY only worsen a situation.

I have an ES300 2002 that the lock is jammed up in front of my service center right now. The graphite client put in did not cause a problem with the old worn keys, but once a fresh key that was not all worn down was used, no keys now work. We are doing an entire tear down under the dash. just to get the lock out, to service. Not Pretty.
::::::::
hope this will help , even I don't know if I should do anything else now.
This is interesting. I can't see how buying yourself some time with the graphite is going to harm anything. Either way, it sounds like the lock assembly will need to be replaced at significant cost. Am I missing something?

In my case, my truck started gradually getting worse (in the context of the key refusing to turn in the lock), to the point where it was happening 75% of the time. Based on an old post on the forum, I decided to give the graphite a try. In my case, YMMV, the symptoms have been gone for about 6 months. If they start returning, I'm going to hit it with graphite again. When that eventually fails, I'll go to the dealer & give them a bunch of money.

YMMV.

PS. A few seem to have missed the point that the OP can start his truck now... The poor lithium grease must be sad.
Old 09-29-12, 10:22 AM
Fillmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just posted the same problem with my wife's gx 470. At random times the key won't turn the ignition. Tried all of the solutions. Twising the wheel, banging the key in, rocking the car, etc.... Nothing works. After a period of time - one hour or half a day. Last time it happended she called triple a to two. The guy showed up got in the car and it started. Super frustrating. Might not happen again for another three or four weeks. We are afraid to take the car anywher for fear of being stranded. Dealer says unless they can replicate the problem, they can't fix it. I hate to start randomly replacing parts at a huge expense not knowing exactly what is wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-12, 02:30 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lovelexus2
Guys, thanks so much for all the great input. Just before I was ready to give up. Gonna call the towing and get it to the dealer, then I thought I gonna try one last thing, so i went to bought some graphite grease(thanks Stiles_s),and put into the ignition. After couple try, I gotta it work. woo, what a feeling. $4 fixed Hundreds of dollor proble( according to dealer when I called them yesterday, dealer advise they will need to open up the tumbler and check the whole thing, maybe change the ignitions and new keys) .

anyway, saved some money, and i am ready to go ahead.

Thanks again for everybody who is trying to help. Great advise from everybody.
GX ignition cylinder problems are very common. your wife putting the wrong key in it was the catalyst for the problem be moving the tumblers into a position they had never been to before. This actually is a pretty common problem for people with more than one lexus.

Best of luck, but it might be time to replace your ignition cylinder. a good cylinder wouldn't have a problem with the wrong key being inserted.
Old 09-30-12, 06:09 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
GX ignition cylinder problems are very common. your wife putting the wrong key in it was the catalyst for the problem be moving the tumblers into a position they had never been to before. This actually is a pretty common problem for people with more than one lexus.

Best of luck, but it might be time to replace your ignition cylinder. a good cylinder wouldn't have a problem with the wrong key being inserted.
curious, can you replace the lock cylinder without re-keying the entire truck?
Old 09-30-12, 07:38 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, have the cylinder rekeyed by a locksmith. this is how it's normally done. just bring the new cylinder to a
qualified locksmith with your current key.