GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help, please, can't start the truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 07:47 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, please, can't start the truck

I have 02 LS430 and 04 GX470. This morning, my wife accidently took the LS key and try to start the GX, after realize it is the wrong key, she went back to tak the GX key. , well It was not working anymore.

I can't insert the key in the ignition, but can't turn on at all. I am wondering if anybody knows about this. Do I have to town the truck to Lexus ? will any lock smith can do reprogram this? I am assuming that is the proble.

very appreicate for any input. Thanks Guys.
Old 08-13-12, 08:33 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure you have the right key...?
Old 08-13-12, 08:37 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Yes, I tried to use the right key to start later on. I only have one key for the LS430, and one key for the GX470. My wife took the LS430 and went to work, so I only have one key left. I can use the remote to lock and unlock the truck, just can't turn it.
Old 08-13-12, 09:17 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovelexus2
Yes, I tried to use the right key to start later on. I only have one key for the LS430, and one key for the GX470. My wife took the LS430 and went to work, so I only have one key left. I can use the remote to lock and unlock the truck, just can't turn it.
This probably won't help you because it sounds like you're stuck at home. But, my ignition key was sticking in the same way you're describing. Based on suggestions from this forum, I bought some graphite spray (designed for locks) and lubricated the lock. Been working great ever since.

My guess is she jammed a few of bits of the lock mechanism trying to get the key inserted or turned. They might come loose with some graphite and a little gentle persuasion.
Old 08-13-12, 10:13 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions, the key can go in and out of the ignition without any problem. but I might try it to see.
Old 08-13-12, 10:25 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hmmm i did this before too but i was able to start the car.

have u try reset the battery, maybe ?
Old 08-13-12, 01:51 PM
lovelexus2
Rookie

that is a good idea. thanks
Old 08-13-12, 05:07 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, the key can go in and out of the ignition without any problem. but I might try it to see.
FWIW, in my case, the key would go in fully but wouldn't turn. The graphite spray solved it for me ~6mos ago.
Old 08-14-12, 08:10 PM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your transponder detected a theft attempt & did it's job.
The key your wife tried may as well have been a screwdriver to the security system.

Left steps the reverify w a master key on the 430 forum.
Old 08-15-12, 06:32 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the key in, pull left on the steering wheel and try and turn the key, then try pulling right on the wheel and turning the key. You may have tension against the ignition lock. Obviously, step on the brake pedal too!

Last edited by Ancient; 08-15-12 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 08:21 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Guys, thanks so much for all the great input. Just before I was ready to give up. Gonna call the towing and get it to the dealer, then I thought I gonna try one last thing, so i went to bought some graphite grease(thanks Stiles_s),and put into the ignition. After couple try, I gotta it work. woo, what a feeling. $4 fixed Hundreds of dollor proble( according to dealer when I called them yesterday, dealer advise they will need to open up the tumbler and check the whole thing, maybe change the ignitions and new keys) .

anyway, saved some money, and i am ready to go ahead.

Thanks again for everybody who is trying to help. Great advise from everybody.
Old 08-15-12, 01:03 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Guys, thanks so much for all the great input. Just before I was ready to give up. Gonna call the towing and get it to the dealer, then I thought I gonna try one last thing, so i went to bought some graphite grease(thanks Stiles_s),and put into the ignition. After couple try, I gotta it work. woo, what a feeling. $4 fixed Hundreds of dollor proble( according to dealer when I called them yesterday, dealer advise they will need to open up the tumbler and check the whole thing, maybe change the ignitions and new keys) .

anyway, saved some money, and i am ready to go ahead.

Thanks again for everybody who is trying to help. Great advise from everybody.
Great to hear.

I have a feeling the LS430 key might of been the 'catalyst', since it's obviously keyed differently for the lock, to cause the tumbler to finally lock up.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 08-15-12, 01:46 PM
lovelexus2
Rookie

I also posted the same thread on the LS430 forms, and got some more input, below are posted by " Locksmithy"

:::::

Though this situation is described as satisfactory, please allow me to STRONGLY urge NOT to use lubricants containing graphite or Teflon, nor dry graphite in most any lock.

Mfr used a lithium paste grease, or equivalent. Introduction of graphite will GENERALLY create caking in the lock, and thus a malfunction.

IF there is sticking, it is because of either wear on the key, wear in the lock, or a lock wafer or wafer slot deformation. The repair is to service the lock.

So, even though in this situation, the sticky lock wafer happened to loosen up an work, this use of graphite will USUALLY only worsen a situation.

I have an ES300 2002 that the lock is jammed up in front of my service center right now. The graphite client put in did not cause a problem with the old worn keys, but once a fresh key that was not all worn down was used, no keys now work. We are doing an entire tear down under the dash. just to get the lock out, to service. Not Pretty.
::::::::
hope this will help , even I don't know if I should do anything else now.
Old 08-16-12, 08:34 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some graphite in your wifes ignition too!
Old 08-16-12, 08:54 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

You probably have four Issues from What I see.
Firstly this may be a **** question, Is your Key an Original Lexus Key. To know that there are Codes imprinted on the Key shell and the transponder chip inside. Do you have the Master key also called as the Valet Key. That would be the best bet to reset the lock as GX Engine ECU has detected a wrong key and immediately encrypts the Engine for theft deterrence.
1. First issue would be the Key itself as the unmatched key has locked the codes. ( Question do you have a Nav unit or Non Nav GX.
2. The Key Transponder Amp is fried. Possibility the key coil itself)
3. The Transponder Key ECU could have failed.
4. There is Unlock warning Switch assy below the steering column ( could have fried)

This is just a possibility one among the above.
Now if you have the Master Key I can give you the instruction to re-progam the key code into the ECU via the Nav unit, It is quite easy. But you need to know the codes.

Quick Reply: Help, please, can't start the truck