GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

4Runner V8 vs GX 470

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 02:31 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you say that Muti? Load leveling is always preferred over a sagging rear under a heavy load. Am I missing something?
Old 09-04-12, 02:50 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because it isnt as if Ourlee is talking about a stripper V6 4Runner, but an 08 V8 Limited. Lets be honest, Toyota doesnt say so and we dont like to think so, but were all pretty certain the drivetrain is identical between the 2. The 4runner standard rear suspension has a Live Beam Multi-Link Rear Suspension With Coil Springs and Gas Charged Shock Absorbers and is a hell of a towing vehicle. I agree that an air suspension can be nicer, but we also know they are prone to failure, leaks and other issues as well we all hope not to have to deal with, but many of us have. When you then take into account the price differences our friend has found on vehicles specifically in his area, its a little hard to say the GX is the hands down winner. To then tell him its impossible to find the prices hes listing when hes just told us those are the prices right in front of him is a little out of line IMO (I know that wasnt you SSS, Im sure everyone knows what I mean). So taking everything into account, I certainly wouldnt say one is definitely that much better than the other. Now I personally sold my 4runner when I bought my GX because thats what I wanted. But if our OP is seriously considering both, and the price difference is that significant and both are low mileage vehicles, for him it may very well be a flip of the coin decision as the 4runner holds appeal for him as it is, plus its got a hell of a lot of cash on the hood and wont ever have costly, difficult to diagnose and/or repair air suspension issues.

I mean I know which Id choose because I already chose it, but for the OP I think an honest examination based on his criteria, prices and need wouldnt really place that 4runner much, if at all, behind the GX as long as he likes them. I dont but he might. And thats A LOT of $$ delta!
Old 09-06-12, 06:01 PM
ourlee
Driver School Candidate

drove a local 06 SR5 V6 just to check out the ergonomics etc, absolutely hated the driving position. painful as it is for me to say this i like my pilot [minivan] much better. if i was going to go far east, it would be a 08 or so GX. "tin box" like comes to mind. too bad the pilot is such a *****, i'm full speed ahead with my love/hate on that thing.
Old 09-06-12, 06:05 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now thats understandable. I havent been able to dig any 4runner since the 3rd gen either. So back to the GX search? Not a bad thing Just dont limit yourself to an 08 Id say. Id include 06 on up if I were you. Thats my main advice. Good luck friend.
Old 09-06-12, 07:17 PM
ourlee
Driver School Candidate

i'm also thinking crew cab ram. when my soph. enters college in 3 years, i'm gonna quit spending my summers on lax sidelines and learn how to drive at s. jersey, pocono and the glen with my P car instructor friends. it would be cool to tire up the miata and tow it around.

i saw a contraption that hauls two full size jet skis on a winched rack that rests on the rails of an 8' pickup bed. i could bring the jet skis when A and I travel around with the pontoon.
Old 09-06-12, 08:44 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

yeah thats one of the big comparisons between driving the two. They really added a good bit of sound deadening in the GX so that potholes are thuds in stead of pows.....if that makes sense.
Old 09-06-12, 10:58 PM
cubnugen
Driver School Candidate

Default v8 4runner limited vs 2008 gx470 kdss

hello, i've been reading a lot of these posts about comparisions between the two... i've had an 06 v8 limited w/xreas *3 years* and now have the 2008 gx470 w/kdss (about a month now).. I really loved my 4runner but needed a 3rd row suv.... the choices were:

1)lexus gx470 w/kdss ** wanted due to less body roll in mountain roads*** pretty hard to find but found a couple across the US
2) 4th gen 4runner 07-09 **extremely hard to find w/ limited, v8, plus 3rd row*
3) Lexus GX460 ** pricey plus cargo room stinks due to 3rd row being in floor** looks nice but couldn't pull the trigger
4) toyota sequoia ** looked goofy like a dodge ram in front plus not a full time4wd for the wifey even though it has torsen so the wheels dont bind on dry pavement***

here goes...

v8 limited 4runner:

Pros:
1)won't get much attention and door dings at the mall or parking in the marina
2) lots of cup holders especially in the doors...
3) center console has lots of room and better armrest
4) 0-60 a tad faster not by much
5) *** no barn door plus rear slider for cargo and my dog***
6) I liked the climate control compared to the gx... i dont have to switch screens on the nav unit
7) handled a little better than the gx in corners... kinda car like...
8) i didn't have the rear air suspension on this one so maint/ failures are less costly
9) LED taillights
10) NINJA box *hidden compartment* in glovebox
11) bought it for 26k in 09 sold it for 21k with 30,000 more miles on it

Cons:
1) not much headroom
2) not as nice as the gx on the inside ** leather, moving steering wheel, wood etc* i didnt really care
3) 3rd row headroom was way too small to fit small children
4) a tad bit louder on freeway compared to the gx470
5) e-brake is pedal instead of lever ** pulling boat up the ramp is easier with the lever***
6) xreas and gx470 prone to failure too
7) driving position too low and long trips made our butts numb...

GX470 w/kdss

Pros:
1) deadly quiet kinda errie
2) i like the interior features...wood trim, softer leather, altimeter/barometer, rear entertainment, optitron gauges
3) more headroom
4) panoramic view of the road ahead compared to the 4runner
5) driving position sits me higher and less fatigue on my a$$ during long trips
6) double projector headlights
7) the2nd row passengers like the reclining seats.
8) seemed like i was speeding more since it was so quiet
9) lever type emergency brake
10) still corners almost as nice as 4runner
11) rear climate control

Cons:
1) ***barn door** i hate this plus my dog cant put his fat head out the rear anymore, plus it gets dinged when i fling it open when towing my boat
2) more prone to problems with rear air suspension
3) **cupholders*** the doors don't have any compared to the 4runner... plus the center console has them in there so it leaves less room for storage
4) no *ninja box in glovebox*.. CD changer in glovebox not in dash like 4runner
5) center console.. my wife loves to hold my hand and these flip down things kinda stink
6) people hating luxury cars... been dinged 3 times since having it....
7) no LED taillights like the 06-09 runners/gx460
8) costs more than the 4runner by 7-8 grand *i did get the CPO 0.9% though*

I've owned both and they have there differences... if I had to choose, i'd choose the 4runner with 3 more inches of headroom ... i don't really need the luxury features of the gx but they are nice to have.. 4runner rear hatch was awesome for tailgating ....sorry to offend anyone...
Old 09-07-12, 02:18 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the 470 shorter in the rear than the 4runner? Maybe it's just a trick of the eye in the outside design but seems that it's shorter., thus less cargo. If so I would add this as a Con to the GX. Please correct me if wrong.
Old 09-07-12, 06:24 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cubnugen
I've owned both and they have there differences... if I had to choose, i'd choose the 4runner with 3 more inches of headroom ... i don't really need the luxury features of the gx but they are nice to have.. 4runner rear hatch was awesome for tailgating ....sorry to offend anyone...
You didnt offend anyone. We're all big boys and girls here.

Thanks for the comparo from somone who has owned both. I'm sure the OP appreciated it.
Old 09-07-12, 09:57 AM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

GX470 FTW
Old 09-08-12, 07:42 PM
ourlee
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=SouthernSS;7470204]You didnt offend anyone. We're all big boys and girls here.

Thanks for the comparo from somone who has owned both. I'm sure the OP appreciated

Yes thank you.
Old 09-09-12, 02:07 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Isn't the 470 shorter in the rear than the 4runner? Maybe it's just a trick of the eye in the outside design but seems that it's shorter., thus less cargo. If so I would add this as a Con to the GX. Please correct me if wrong.
Ok well I did my own looking around since no one corrected me in any way. Funny thing is I was wrong by the shortness in length but there are some big size differences. The headroom people mentioned is wow different! Especially seeing the frame height is so similar. The 4Runner looks a tad wider.

I don't know these are the same year cars or even if that 4Runner is a V6 or V8 (thinking it might be a V6 though) but the GX is mine and the 4Runner is my parking neighbor.

Interesting comparison no? Not great photos but the point made:
Attached Thumbnails 4Runner V8 vs GX 470-img_4470.jpg   4Runner V8 vs GX 470-img_4471.jpg   4Runner V8 vs GX 470-img_4472.jpg  

Last edited by infinirx; 09-09-12 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-09-12, 05:28 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Infinirx, That 4Runner has a hood scoop = V8 Sport model.
Old 09-09-12, 10:01 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i just saw an '05+ 4runner towing a trailer today. that rear was sagging hardcore. Not a good look. again, if you're towing, gx470 hands down.

the seq is a full size suv. no comparison. it's even bigger than the land cruiser.
Old 09-09-12, 12:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would go for the GX if it were up to me and prices were similar.

Quick Reply: 4Runner V8 vs GX 470