GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

4Runner V8 vs GX 470

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 03:55 PM
Cbeeker
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GX470 is the way to go for towing...nothing quite as easy as using the backup camera to hook up to your trailer. No getting in and out to check by yourself. Also the wiring harness for electric brakes is ready to plug in, allowing easy electric brakes for your trailer. Of course the 6500 tow rating could be concern, but go with an aluminum trailer, which is half the weight of a standard steel car hauler, and you are set to go. My 16 ft aluminum car hauler weighs only 1140 lbs, Leaving lots of weight fr the vehicle on my trailer. I leave my 3/4 ton Dodge pickup home and instead haul with my GX470, and smile while I go done the highway.
Old 10-31-12, 06:20 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So, why are the 4Runner prices almost the same as the GX?! If the GX holds its value, then the 4Runner is an All-Star. What's the rationale behind it all?!

* Neither truck suffers any glaring quality / reliability issues. The GX has niggles here and there, but I'm sure the 4Runner has them too.
* Both get dismal MPG. Even the V6 4Runner doesn't do much better than the V8 GX or 4Runner.
Old 11-02-12, 09:54 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
-gx better tow vehicle with is rear air suspension

-gx will have a few more luxuries like rain sensing wipers, auto down/up all windows, wood steering wheel

-4r will keep value better cuz it's simpler to maintain (no rear air)

-gx feels more significant... it's a bit heavier and has a lot more sound deadening that you can't reproduce in the more "tin" like 4r (eg thicker windows)

-cracked dashes happen on the 4r as well

you can't go wrong with either, but given your towing needs, the gx wins hands down. just make sure to get an '05 and up.
Why 05 and up? Not much difference from 04 with a few grand savings
Old 11-02-12, 11:22 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Why 05 and up? Not much difference from 04 with a few grand savings
There is a difference between the 04 and 05 model - it's called ~35 more horsepower and VVT-i. An yes, it makes a difference in a heavy SUV. There were a few other minor improvements that were introduced in 2005 model.
Old 11-04-12, 07:29 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Test drive both. You will know for yourself

I tried both and GX470 was no-brainer. Suddenly 4Runner looked cheap and plasticy inside (economy class), while GX470 felt like first class travel.
Old 11-04-12, 08:33 PM
Lexor470
Driver School Candidate

I'd recommend the GX470 just because it looks nicer and the quality of the interior is excellent. I mean, both cars are reliable, but the GX470 is car that you can daily drive, go outdoors, or drive to a fancy wedding with class and style.
Old 04-23-13, 02:37 AM
Westerner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RickC5
Infinirx, That 4Runner has a hood scoop = V8 Sport model.
Having a hood scoop just implies the Sport trim, not necessarily the V8 as well. I test drove a V6 Sport with the hood scoop today, for instance.

I also test drove a GX 470 afterwards, and definitely echo the comments above about the 4Runner having less headroom and a weird, oddly low-to-the-floor/feet-forward driving position.

I did not care for either of those things, and ended up liking the GX much more than I'd anticipated.

If you're bored you can read my review of both here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/11547941...ts/8kJAkPDzLPF
Old 04-24-13, 02:33 PM
ca5280
10th Gear

I owned a 2003 4Runner Sport (V8, leather and Nav with XREAS), sold it and bought a used 2007 GX470 "sport" with KDSS, Ive owned both for over 3 years so here are my reflections.

The power difference between the earlier and later 4.7's is significant, both handled well for trucks but the GX KDSS is superior imho. I think both are equal or close in towing capacity however the GX has an adjustable heigh rear suspension (adjustable at <5mph, then back to normal height) which is excellent for connecting trailers, loading boxes etc.

With comforts and technology the Toyota JBL/Nav system was nice but the GX Mark Levinson system is obviously better, the auto lock/unlock, seat memory, reclining rear seats, leather quality and sound proofing has the GX blowing the T4R away. After driving a GX, the T4R does feel "cheaper" inside, but again, its Lexus vs Toyota. I absolutely dislike the barn door, but also prefer the split tail gate of a previous 2000 Lancruiser better than the lifting tailgate of the T4R, although the lower-able rear window is great with dogs.

For 4x4 performance, getting after market parts for either is tough, for OEM vs OEM, I prefer the GX. Yes the tranny and motor are almost identicle aside from previous gen being 35-40hp down, however the GX is more confidence inspiring. For effeciency and maintenance it's a wash, they both get similar mileage and I use Toyota for Lexus maintenance. Both do well resale. I do take my GX offroad, camping etc.. my experience is that others appreciate that I have no fear taking my 'pretty" GX offroad.

In all honesty, I dont like most of the colors of the GX, they are geared more for soccer moms with their pastel shades. I have seen an interesting "moon grey" and I also like the elusive dark blue, however, I was instantly sold on my "sport" GX with its gloss black and grey interior, dark grey wheels and titanium trim, definitely looks like a dudes suv. Some days I consider selling it (looks and drives almost new for 90k) but cant imagine what else I would get instead, the newer T4R and GX460 just doesn't do it for me, especially at their price points :-/

I dont regret selling the T4R for the GX, the GX is much nicer for going out etc, the GX is traller inside, the T4R is a smidge wider inside. the T4R has longer storage after the rear seats, but the GX is taller. Cost of ownership outside of initial cost is the same, Im not 20, or even 30's anymore, so I like the comforts of the GX but both are respected quality 4x4 vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ca5280; 04-25-13 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-25-13, 10:01 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d33pblu3
I owned a 2003 4Runner Sport (V8, leather and Nav with XREAS), sold it and bought a used 2007 GX470 "sport" with KDSS, Ive owned both for over 3 years so here are my reflections.

The power difference between the earlier and later 4.7's is significant, both handled well for trucks but the GX KDSS is superior imho. I think both are equal or close in towing capacity however the GX has an adjustable heigh rear suspension (adjustable at <5mph, then back to normal height) which is excellent for connecting trailers, loading boxes etc.

With comforts and technology the Toyota JBL/Nav system was nice but the GX Mark Levinson system is obviously better, the auto lock/unlock, seat memory, reclining rear seats, leather quality and sound proofing has the GX blowing the T4R away. After driving a GX, the T4R does feel "cheaper" inside, but again, its Lexus vs Toyota. I absolutely dislike the barn door, but also prefer the split tail gate of a previous 2000 Lancruiser better than the lifting tailgate of the T4R, although the lower-able rear window is great with dogs.

For 4x4 performance, getting after market parts for either is tough, for OEM vs OEM, I prefer the GX. Yes the tranny and motor are almost identicle aside from previous gen being 35-40hp down, however the GX is more confidence inspiring. For effeciency and maintenance it's a wash, they both get similar mileage and I use Toyota for Lexus maintenance. Both do well resale. I do take my GX offroad, camping etc.. my experience is that others appreciate that I have no fear taking my 'pretty" GX offroad.

In all honesty, I dont like most of the colors of the GX, they are geared more for soccer moms with their pastel shades. I have seen an interesting "moon grey" and I also like the elusive dark blue, however, I was instantly sold on my "sport" GX with its gloss black and grey interior, dark grey wheels and titanium trim, definitely looks like a dudes suv. Some days I consider selling it (looks and drives almost new for 90k) but cant imagine what else I would get instead, the newer T4R and GX460 just doesn't do it for me, especially at their price points :-/

I dont regret selling the T4R for the GX, the GX is much nicer for going out etc, the GX is traller inside, the T4R is a smidge wider inside. the T4R has longer storage after the rear seats, but the GX is taller. Cost of ownership outside of initial cost is the same, Im not 20, or even 30's anymore, so I like the comforts of the GX but both are respected quality 4x4 vehicles.

Hope this helps.
+1

I'm itching for something to replace my '07 Sport, and I've driven a bunch of alternatives. Every stinking time I get back into my GX after the test drive it (at ~80k miles) feels better built, smoother, etc., than the new car I just got done test driving. It's maddening

Seriously, I typically keep cars for an absurdly short time+mileage. I initially bought the gx in '07 hoping my wife would end up taking it over (recent kids @ the time) but she rebuffed that idea and went from her Audi S4 Avant to a Q5 (which she loves). So, I ended up being "stuck" with this luxo SUV that I would have never considered buying for myself (I tend to be more of a performance or straight utility kind of guy, and I have an aversion to the Lexus brand).

Over time, the thing has wormed its way into my heart. The build quality, reliability, all-weather and terrain capability, the interior room, the interior quality all have added up to a winner. The on road handling frustrates me (even with KDSS), but that's a weak nitpick when you look @ the overall "value" of the vehicle.
Old 04-25-13, 11:00 AM
BFX
Driver School Candidate

I know most people buy these larger vehicles with objectives. For me and my wife it's just that simple, GX470 is the best looking SUV ever built by any car manufacturers. It never gets old to look at, every GX470 on the road turns my head, too.
Old 05-05-13, 04:59 PM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

have you tried looking at the Infinti QX56 05 + I currently own one an my dad owns the 05 GX470. both great cars but comparing them side by side I like my QX more. a little bit bigger stronger engine and nice look imho I know you didnt ask about the QX but just throwing it out there towing capability of 8900 pounds really handy.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 05-08-13, 01:18 PM
execdoc20
Driver School Candidate

The GX 470 Hands down.
Old 05-08-13, 02:49 PM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for a GX man.

I had that same option and went for a GX. Glad that I did.

Good luck.

O
Old 05-08-13, 02:53 PM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d33pblu3

In all honesty, I dont like most of the colors of the GX, they are geared more for soccer moms with

Hope this helps.
I agree.

I like blue and black. One day I saw a green GX '08 which I liked a lot, but idk if i'd like to drive that green either.

I went for a silver GX which looks very sporty and definitely a dude's car. If GX is not blue, black or silver, let your wife drive it.
Old 06-01-13, 11:47 PM
dundonrl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ourlee
i'm also thinking crew cab ram. when my soph. enters college in 3 years, i'm gonna quit spending my summers on lax sidelines and learn how to drive at s. jersey, pocono and the glen with my P car instructor friends. it would be cool to tire up the miata and tow it around.

i saw a contraption that hauls two full size jet skis on a winched rack that rests on the rails of an 8' pickup bed. i could bring the jet skis when A and I travel around with the pontoon.
I have a 2012 Ram 2500 4x4 with Cummins turbo diesel, Crew Cab and short bed.. my wife has an 07 GX470 with every bell and whistle (that I know of) and while it's a very nice SUV, for towing it doesn't even begin to compare to the pickup. (also it feels like I'm driving a sub-compact after driving the Ram, and my wife refuses to drive the Ram, because it is so big)