GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New owner of 06 GX470 - tips needed to make this baby last!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 12:19 PM
aimcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of 06 GX470 - tips needed to make this baby last!

Hi guys! I am excited to announce that I am a new owner of an 06 Lexus GX470, it is fully loaded with every option you could get for this year. It has 95k miles and with purchase was also included a full 90k service - belts changed, water pump, new tires, and also it had needed a new cat converter. These things were all done prior to purchase.

So now I would just like some tips to make this last me 4-5 years. I know usually toyota/lexus products hold up very very well with few issues. So here are a few questions -

I know it says premium fuel only - does anyone else only run premium or will i be fine running unleaded? This is the same engine in toyota tundras that only require unleaded right?

Should I do synthetic oil changes or am I good with regular oil?

At 95k miles is there any other things that could potentially happen or with the 90k should I typically be good to go?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-13, 02:58 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

All fuel sold at pumps in North America is unleaded, the grades are regular, mid-grade, and premium. The '05+ GX470's have vvt-i and a healthy power bump over the older ones, and premium is recommended, that's what I'd run in it. I do put regular in our '04 though.

If you're going to change your oil every 3,000 miles I'd say your OK with mineral oil, if you're going with Lexus recommended oil change intervals I'd use synthetic oil.

Congrats on the purchase, post some pics!
Old 06-08-13, 05:05 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
All fuel sold at pumps in North America is unleaded, the grades are regular, mid-grade, and premium. The '05+ GX470's have vvt-i and a healthy power bump over the older ones, and premium is recommended, that's what I'd run in it. I do put regular in our '04 though.

If you're going to change your oil every 3,000 miles I'd say your OK with mineral oil, if you're going with Lexus recommended oil change intervals I'd use synthetic oil.

Congrats on the purchase, post some pics!
mineral oil?? baby oil is mineral oil?
Old 06-08-13, 07:30 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
mineral oil?? baby oil is mineral oil?
LOL, I suppose it is. Non-synthetic oil then.
Old 06-08-13, 10:29 PM
Niteblu
Driver School Candidate

Run regular unleaded, premium is to qualify as a low emission vehicles.The engine is not high compression, no need for a higher octane. Save your money.
Old 06-09-13, 07:12 AM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried both regular (87 octane) and premium (91-93 octane) in my '05 and don't see a significant difference in performance nor fuel economy, so I go with the 87. Experiment yourself to see whether you can justify the added expense.

In the 2005, Lexus GX manual states "Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended."

They changed the wording in 2006 to read:
"Select premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher for optimum engine performance. However, if such premium type cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91)."

As for the oil, I use synthetic, buy it on sale and change it myself every 5-7 k miles. Probably overkill but it makes me feel better. Conventional oil is acceptable to Lexus if you change it every 5k or less.

Enjoy the GX and do post a pic.
Old 06-09-13, 09:38 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran regular through my 08' for a couple tanks, all city driving, and noticed a two mpg drop in fuel economy, returned to premium and gained back the two mpg. The truck seems to be a little more responsive running premium.

Octane is a measure of resistance to knock, since all modern vehicles have anti-knock sensors which automatically adjust air/fuel ratios to eliminate knock you cannot damage your vehicle by using regular fuel. You will likely notice a loss of performance.

I like the oil to be dark golden brown rather than black when I change it so I use synthetic. Also all of my driving is near the ocean which is considered a harsh driving condition by the Lexus manual.
Old 06-09-13, 09:09 PM
Niteblu
Driver School Candidate

Octane research number is a level of combustion in fuel. The higher the number, the higher compression before spontaneous combustion (knocking). High compression engines need higher octane number to avoid spontaneous combustion (knocking or preignition), the 2UZ-FE engine is not a high compression engine. Using a good quality minimum 87 octane gas is all that is needed to run this engine without degrading performance. Your fuel economy should not be noticeable. On my '05 with 105k miles I average 17-18 mpg' 30/70 (city/highway) driving 87 octane fuel in CA. Use good quality fuel not from "joe's minimart and gas". Some brands work better in one engine than another in my experience.

Dino oil with regular maintenance is all I use and over the years I have had no problems with Toyota/Lexus engines due to oil.

Last edited by Niteblu; 06-09-13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 03:14 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
LOL, I suppose it is. Non-synthetic oil then.
a.k.a. "Dinosaur Oil"

I run 85 octane (sold here in Colorado due to high altitudes) in our '08 GX and it runs fine, delivering 17-19 mpg.
Old 07-11-13, 11:26 AM
txlincoln
Driver School Candidate

For gasoline I looked at http://www.toptiergas.com/....and I only run gas from these companies, I am running 87 octane in my 07 GX470. I usally run QuickTrip, but I ran a tank of Chevron and I might switch over to that.

I do my oil at the dealer so I run what they put in there.

I would suggest a cargo mat if you don't have one already, I use WeatherTech. If you have an AUX out for your audio system the AUX cable I like is from BlueRigger (
Amazon.com: BlueRigger 3.5mm Male to Male Stereo Audio Cable (4 Feet) - Supports iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android and other Smartphones: Kindle Store Amazon.com: BlueRigger 3.5mm Male to Male Stereo Audio Cable (4 Feet) - Supports iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android and other Smartphones: Kindle Store
)

Enjoy you new GX!
Old 07-15-13, 12:24 PM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txlincoln
I would suggest a cargo mat if you don't have one already, I use WeatherTech. Enjoy you new GX!
+1 on WeatherTech, I use these: http://www.weathertech.com/lexus/200...alfit/RSES/no/ and couldn't be more pleased. They are a little more than some of the other brands but are top quality. Made of very heavy duty plastic and fit is perfect. I didn't realize how much dirt was being ground into the carpet before I got them. I got mine from Cabela's for considerably less than MSRP. Make sure they are the digital fit floor liner.

I have the Husky liners in my 4Runner and the fit is very good however the material is very light duty, mine are showing considerable signs of wear after only two years. Pay a little more and get something that is going to last. I will be getting a set of WeatherTech for my 4Runner as soon as I wear a hole in the Husky Liners(which won't be long).
Old 07-15-13, 01:34 PM
Jimmybob
Driver School Candidate

I have both a 2006 Lexus GX 470 and a 2003 Tundra with the 4.7 liter V8.
I have noticed that engine response is the same.
At 75 mph on cruise engine RPM is 2200 with both vehicles.
I have discovered that 2006 Tundra engine parts are the same as 2006 Lexus engine parts.
Just replaced, at 130,000 all 4 O2 sensors. Same Denso Part # for both vehicles.
That having been said, the Tundra recommends 87 octane gas. I have been using 87 octane gas in my Tundra for 263,000 miles without a problem. Well, the cats gave it up at 225K, but otherwise no problems.
I have been using 87 octane in the Lexus since I got it in 2008 and have not had a problem other than the O2 sensors, which I understand are only supposed to be good for 100K, so I think I got my money's worth.
Old 10-08-13, 02:40 PM
Chilito
Driver School Candidate

1. Radiator replacement is a good possibility
2. Avoid Jump Start other car with you new purchase it can be very costly. believe me it cost me $1200 for a new Body ECU replacement.
Old 10-09-13, 03:51 AM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chilito
2. Avoid Jump Start other car with you new purchase it can be very costly. believe me it cost me $1200 for a new Body ECU replacement.
???
Can you explain... What happened and why? I just got an '07 GX and this concerns me, I love to help people in need over the years I have jumped lots of cars and would hate to say "Sorry I can't jump you off because my car is too delicate!"

I bought a LAND CRUISER PRADO rebranded as a LEXUS because the PRADO was not sold here... Not because I wanted the delicate LEXUS.
Old 10-09-13, 11:05 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

These are anything but Delicate, thats for sure! I had a buddy who decided to use his for some pretty Hardcore 4Wheeling, and it holds up as well as the older Toyota 4x4s did.

Quick Reply: New owner of 06 GX470 - tips needed to make this baby last!