GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX first generation ABS making interval noise, is this expected

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 11:27 PM
obvalks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX first generation ABS making interval noise, is this expected

GX 08 ABS making noise and comes and goes with steady interval during the drive

I did some searching and was not sure whether any other problems were related.

I think ever since we got new break pads installs it feels that ABS started to make noise with intervals non stop during the drive, I don't remember this ever being so obvious until the last couple of months

The breaks feel fine, however when pressing break pedal when the noise comes up you can feel it in the breaks.

Please let me know if any experiences this, I want to make sure whether this is normal

Thank you
Old 10-18-13, 11:31 PM
obvalks
Driver School Candidate

Made a video of the potential problem, thank you
Attached Files
File Type: zip
IMG_3230.zip (3.11 MB, 1092 views)
Old 10-19-13, 06:21 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just checked out your video. That is truly strange--never heard anything like that before. If that were MY truck, it would visit the nearest dealer ASAP.
Old 10-19-13, 06:26 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
I just checked out your video. That is truly strange--never heard anything like that before. If that were MY truck, it would visit the nearest dealer ASAP.
+1 ASAP!
Old 10-19-13, 09:32 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default Possible Answer

Check out this link and see if it sounds like the same thing. It's a different vehicle but may be related?

http://www.justanswer.com/lexus/5jte...termitent.html

Cheers!

Last edited by Crispy3M; 10-19-13 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-19-13, 12:14 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
Check out this link and see if it sounds like the same thing. It's a different vehicle but may be related?

http://www.justanswer.com/lexus/5jte...termitent.html

Cheers!
"one big expensive unit and prone to failure", that's nice
Old 10-19-13, 09:26 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can tell you Right NOW--get it replaced, Its the whole ABS unit getting ready to DIE and when it does you better hope you are going 5-10MPH cause when it goes, it goes NOW and you will have almost ZERO brakes. How do I know because My 08 had the same sound and luckily for me it died as I was coming into my driveway and I litterly had no brakes to stop. Had to get it towed to lexus and its like $2500.00. You have to get the WHOLE unit cause its cheaper to replace then to fix one part of it and then you need to do a Massive brake bleed after installed. DO NOT wait for this to fail on you cause it will very very soon trust me!!!! Just think if you going 70MPH and needed to stop and it failed NOW, you are toast, that noise is telling you Im about to fail any second

My 08 had only 42K on it when it went and I called lexus customer service and complained about it going out on such low miles and they agreed to pay half my bill so its worth a shot to give them a call and explain the issue.
Old 10-20-13, 05:01 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

So, the ABS warning light is not coming on?
Old 10-20-13, 11:02 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redrocks
So, the ABS warning light is not coming on?
It will not come on--no warnings at all, just makes that constant noise just like the video and everything works fine and out of the blue it happens. It WILL go out on him very soon and when it does Look Out!! He will get ALL the VSC/trac?ect....lights and a constant Buzz tone and no brakes! Been there done that and no fun.
Old 10-20-13, 12:26 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
It will not come on--no warnings at all, just makes that constant noise just like the video and everything works fine and out of the blue it happens. It WILL go out on him very soon and when it does Look Out!! He will get ALL the VSC/trac?ect....lights and a constant Buzz tone and no brakes! Been there done that and no fun.
Well, I'm glad you're safe but it seems that there should be some safety backup in case the main braking system fails. I would imagine you still had the hand brake, no?
Old 10-20-13, 03:00 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I had the Emer brake but did not use, when the system failed as it did you have "some" brakes but I mean very little stopping power is there if you needed it in a panic situation you are SOL.
Old 10-21-13, 09:29 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

That's not the ABS pump, that is the electronic power brake booster running excessively for some odd reason.

If you notice that these trucks do not have a Vacuum booster behind the master cylinder for the brake assist: its because they use that electronic pump to build up pressure for you to use. It should run every so often, but not THAT often! If it does fail, you will still have intact and functional brakes, but like what they said above, you will just have to mash the pedal down harder to bring the truck to a stop since there will be no power assist, which can be dangerous if it happens in traffic and you are not expecting it. It would be illegal to sell a vehicle that would lose all of its braking capability just because of a small part going out.

That is the same system that the 4Runners use, so getting it checked out at a certified Toyota shop or dealer could probably save you some money and diagnose what the heck is going on with it.

The Parking brake system is 100% cable actuated and independant from the main brakes and its hydraulic system, so no matter what it will still work, but it is more designed for holding the vehicle on hills and not so much for stopping, so it isn;t the most effective for bringing the truck to a halt.

Last edited by YoshiMan; 10-21-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-21-13, 10:18 AM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
That's not the ABS pump, that is the electronic power brake booster running excessively for some odd reason.
I read some something about that electronic power brake booster (I am a n00b so take with grain of salt) but from what I remember it had to do the A-TRAC system...