GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Steering wheel controls not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 03:13 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Steering wheel controls not working properly

Since I've owned my GX my steering wheel controls only work if I turn the wheel full lock to the left or right. I had some free time today so I though I'd try and fix it. I removed the airbag and removed the steering wheel controls but didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Terminals and terminal pins looked good, the wires were firmly in their harness clips, I don't see any pinched wires, the ground wire is connected firmly between the two airbag clips and the flat ribbon cable connecting the 2 steering wheel controls together are fine.

The odd thing is the + & - cruise control wires are wired into the same master plug as the 2 steering wheel controls and it works fine so it's something w/ the 2 steering wheel control wiring. I'm at a loss, anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT:
I found several threads of other makes / models having this problem and some said it's the clock spring. Seeing as the cruise shares the same master plug as the 2 steering wheel controls it doesn't sound to me like it's the clock spring...if it was I'd have the same problem w/ the cruise control. And my horn works fine too.

Last edited by RCsGX; 11-17-13 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-17-13, 04:34 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Since I've owned my GX my steering wheel controls only work if I turn the wheel full lock to the left or right. I had some free time today so I though I'd try and fix it. I removed the airbag and removed the steering wheel controls but didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Terminals and terminal pins looked good, the wires were firmly in their harness clips, I don't see any pinched wires, the ground wire is connected firmly between the two airbag clips and the flat ribbon cable connecting the 2 steering wheel controls together are fine.

The odd thing is the + & - cruise control wires are wired into the same master plug as the 2 steering wheel controls and it works fine so it's something w/ the 2 steering wheel control wiring. I'm at a loss, anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT:
I found several threads of other makes / models having this problem and some said it's the clock spring. Seeing as the cruise shares the same master plug as the 2 steering wheel controls it doesn't sound to me like it's the clock spring...if it was I'd have the same problem w/ the cruise control. And my horn works fine too.

I know in the sc430 foum a similar symptom was diagnosed as a failure of the spiral cable.
Old 11-17-13, 05:06 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I know in the sc430 foum a similar symptom was diagnosed as a failure of the spiral cable.
Yeah that's the clock spring. It may be it but since the cruise shares the same plug as the 2 steering wheel controls I don't think that's the problem since my cruise works fine.

If I find a cheap one on eBay I might buy it just to test out. I don't really care about the steering wheel controls, I've never used them in any of my cars but I was bored today and wanted to tackle a project.