GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Handling characteristics of an SUV (specifically the GX-470)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-03, 09:30 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling characteristics of an SUV (specifically the GX-470)

Hi all,

Well the time is getting closer to getting my GX-470 and my first SUV and was wondering something about roll-over resistence.

Since I have never had an SUV before, I know they are more top heavy than a car but how much so?

In the past I have seen tests that SUV's roll over quite easy with aggressive evasive maneuvers. Is this still the case or have SUV's of the present been resolved of this problem?

More specifically, does Lexus (since it is a Lux. SUV have better roll-over protection that say the lower priced SUV's?
Old 03-26-03, 12:58 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,

when you make a choice to buy a vehicle like this you have to accept it and be warned and be careful.

Yes, it is A LOT easier to roll it over. In fact you always need to remember it and often work hard for this not to happen.
Old 03-26-03, 01:32 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I believe only the LX470 has roll-sensing side curtain airbags. The GX has the standard kind. Maybe next year, the GX will have it.
Old 03-26-03, 02:20 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default air bags

I may be wrong, but I am sure the GX has side airbags for the front and back seat, but not the 3rd row, also airbags overhead, at least that's what I get from the manual. Any vehicle can roll over, you just have to be a responsible driver.
Old 03-26-03, 02:30 PM
Cessna172
Driver

I understand that SUV's roll-over easier than cars as stated in my first post and I know how to drive accordingly.

What I am looking for is answers to my questions, not airbag info. or lectures on how to drive.

Sorry I don't mean to be short or rude, but I am just looking for answers to my questions, not info. that is totally off-topic to the questions I asked.

More specifically, I am looking for roll-over resistance info. as far as emergency maneuvers and on salom courses (like the magazines do with the "training wheels" on the vehicles).

I know all vehicles can roll-over given the right circumstances as going on to the shoulder or hitting a curb, but I am looking for info. on evasive/emergency type maneuvers on pavement in normal driving conditions.

As an example, if a car suddenly cuts in front of you and you need to quickly swirve to miss it, do you have to worry about flipping over on say the freeway going 70 MPH?

Thanks,
Donovan

Last edited by Cessna172; 03-26-03 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-26-03, 02:40 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Well, excuse me

Sorry to waste your time on questions being answered you didn't ask. Looks to me like since you've never owned an SUV you might should research the subject with your dealer versus the GX board. I thought we were all trying to help, but guess not. If you are getting close to getting your GX and this is a big concern why in the world didn't you research it long ago? Just wondering, don't mean to be rude. Guess none of us would know the answer to your question about going 70 mph and having to swerve to miss another vehicle, (would we roll over)? So far I haven't. Some questions just can't be answered until the circumstance happens, I guess.

Last edited by raybeck; 03-26-03 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-26-03, 02:55 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: Well, excuse me

Originally posted by raybeck
Sorry to waste your time on questions being answered you didn't ask. Looks to me like since you've never owned an SUV you might should research the subject with your dealer versus the GX board. I thought we were all trying to help, but guess not. If you are getting close to getting your GX and this is a big concern why in the world didn't you research it long ago? Just wondering, don't mean to be rude. Guess none of us would know the answer to your question about going 70 mph and having to swerve to miss another vehicle, (would we roll over)? So far I haven't. Some questions just can't be answered until the circumstance happens, I guess.
It's not a big concern and I am still 2 months away from getting the GX-470. I understand most have not seen those exact circumstances, but what I was trying to convey was that I was looking for info. on emergency maneuvers and roll-over resistance found in normal every day freeway type driving, not the less common going off the road onto the shoulder or hitting a curb where any vehicle can flip type of scenario.

No offense taken and hopefully no offensive given, just trying to get answers to my questions.

Thanks,
Donovan
Old 03-26-03, 03:03 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default cessna

No offense taken. Hope you can get answers to all your questions. I have been in some mighty stiff cross winds, and I think it handles decently. I know you didn't ask that question, but so far I have felt in control of my SUV, it handles wonderfully. This, too, is my first SUV and I had a lot of the same concerns, but so far sure haven't regretted purchasing it. By the way...are you a pilot? Just wondering from your "Cessna172". Good luck to you.
Old 03-26-03, 03:11 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: cessna

Originally posted by raybeck
No offense taken. Hope you can get answers to all your questions. I have been in some mighty stiff cross winds, and I think it handles decently. I know you didn't ask that question, but so far I have felt in control of my SUV, it handles wonderfully. This, too, is my first SUV and I had a lot of the same concerns, but so far sure haven't regretted purchasing it. By the way...are you a pilot? Just wondering from your "Cessna172". Good luck to you.
Yeah, I am am a private pilot and am current in the Cessna 172. Have about 150 hrs. now am currently looking into joining the Civil Air Patrol as a S&R pilot.
Old 03-26-03, 03:16 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default That's cool

Well, it is a small world. My husband is also a private pilot, otherwise cessa172 wouldn't have stood out to me. He has a (sp?) Bilanca Super Viking and another plane that I can't remember the name of. I call it a trick plane (which would irritate him to no end) but it is a high wing. I don't like flying, but he lives, eats and breathes it!
Old 03-26-03, 06:03 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

YOUR ANSWER:

Most SUVs nowadays have stability control which would help in preventing roll-overs. Only the Volvo has advertised it's "roll-over prevention" blah, blah. No one knows if the Volvo XC90 is any better than the rest of SUVs with "normal" stability control.

Only time will tell....