GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

engine winding noise diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 06:02 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default engine winding noise diagnosis

I just hit 100k and I will be taking my 06' in for timing belt soon. I just noticed a weird winding up sound from the engine during idle and lower rpm, I can't hear it with the engine running on the road, except for slower speeds. Any thoughts on that being a belt or tensioner or something? Also, I have heard a faint clicking sound at idle when I am in a drive through and the sound bounces off of the brick walls next to me. It's not a ticking exhaust leak, more of a click, is that a water pump?
Old 07-07-15, 06:26 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,275 Likes on 985 Posts

I think you're headed in the right direction. Something run by the serpentine belt. AC, h2o pump, idler/tensioner pulley. On some Lexus models, you need to remove the h2o pump to change the belt. Either way, if you go to an independent garage instead of the dealer, you'll save money. You can even provide the parts. Sometimes there is a slow leak/drip when the pump is going bad. You might be able to see signs of the coolant color under the pump. To pinpoint the ac, shut it off while idling the car and see if the noise goes away.
Old 07-07-15, 01:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

majority of the time the headers crack and cause an exhaust leak, and you hear the clicking/ticking.
almost sounds like an engine noise.

trick is to put your head down by each of the front tires and see which side its loudest on, and thats probably the side with the leak. my wifes has it on the passenger side pretty bad. at first it goeas away when warm, then as the crack grows it gets larger and the clicking stays.

it could be something else but its very common for the exhaust manifold to crack on these cars.
when the engine is cold and I first start it, I can put my hand near the exhaust manifold and actually feel the pulses and heat coming out from the leaking spot. its worth a check.
Old 07-08-15, 10:26 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also when alternator is going out it will make a whining noise
Old 07-09-15, 09:05 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Recommend you replace the water pump when doing your timing belt..
Old 07-13-15, 05:32 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

thank you for the help and guidance. I'm taking it in tomorrow for the timing belt and water pump. But, guess what??????? The noise just stopped the other day. I changed the air filter, cleaned the throttle body, and cleaned the MAF. I know that has nothing to do with it but it just stopped. I think it could have been the alternator because I think I could hear it more underneath the car near the alternator.
Old 07-13-15, 05:44 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Consider that it will be very easy to change the alternator when they're doing the water pump/Tbelt.
Old 07-14-15, 10:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the a/c compressor on my 03 made an a/c noise after sitting for a while, it too went away after a week of driving it again regularly. at least it went away that is good news!
Old 07-22-15, 08:22 PM
Playtobias
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

I had a whine which turned out to be my alternator. Replaced it at 138k.
Old 07-25-15, 09:32 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

It just came back again. I'll investigate more in the morning to try and pinpoint the location, what does an alternator replacement cost?
Old 07-26-15, 10:20 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I don't think it's the alternator. I can't pinpoint the origin of the sound. From the top of the engine it sounds like it's possibly on the left side closer to the air box but still near the valve cover? From underneath it sounds like from the center somewhere near back back of the engine and fire wall. Need guidance please.
Old 07-26-15, 02:45 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Well now I think it's the alternator. I just started the truck and it hesitated a smudge like the battery was low. Then as I was diving the nav screen went out and the battery light came on, then the brake and abs lights and vsc, then they went out. And now I can't start my truck again. Just click click click. I jumped it and drove it to a local shop. Can you guys confirm my diagnosis?
Old 07-26-15, 04:47 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

It's your alternator.
Old 07-27-15, 02:42 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,275 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggyG
Well now I think it's the alternator. I just started the truck and it hesitated a smudge like the battery was low. Then as I was diving the nav screen went out and the battery light came on, then the brake and abs lights and vsc, then they went out. And now I can't start my truck again. Just click click click. I jumped it and drove it to a local shop. Can you guys confirm my diagnosis?
You change your mind more than most. Good luck
Old 07-27-15, 06:01 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

yup, that's true. I hate anxiety

Quick Reply: engine winding noise diagnosis