GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thought Process - Modding the GX

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 02:17 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thought Process - Modding the GX

As suspension issues approach, I'm trying to decide if the GX will become our wheeler, our if I'll start with something like a Wrangler and keep the GX stock, which is hard to justify if I'm mending the air suspension and replacing factory shocks. I've always been brand-blind, and generally have had a Toyota product in the stable along with some American and German too. So save your Jeep bashing please! It's an option. The problem is trying to convince myself that the GX isn't too nice to really hammer. I already get crazy looks wheeling the GX in stock form! But if you consider my pretty sweet 05 is probably worth 10-12K with 125,000 miles, it's vastly superior to a similar value Wrangler in some aspects; no need to worry about a V-8 swap, axle beefing, and hey, it's a ton more roomy with some cargo space to boot. Plus total comfort and 18-19 mpg on the freeway legs makes other off-road capable rigs look pretty archaic. Main advantage (to me) with a Wrangler is it's rustic nature seems more suited to running hard, and it's about as modular as anything ever built, with tons of aftermarket options. Easier sheetmetal repairs. On the other hand, I think the GX with tasteful mods will work better all around and will probably cost less than selling it, buying a Wrangler, and starting from scratch. Especially if I want a V-8 (which of course I do). I think the main stumbling block is deciding if I could risk the GX vs. a Wrangler on some really challenging terrain. Even if the total investment were identical. I think it's a mental thing! Has anybody else gone through the same thought process?
Old 10-12-15, 04:08 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zippinbye
As suspension issues approach, I'm trying to decide if the GX will become our wheeler, our if I'll start with something like a Wrangler and keep the GX stock, which is hard to justify if I'm mending the air suspension and replacing factory shocks. I've always been brand-blind, and generally have had a Toyota product in the stable along with some American and German too. So save your Jeep bashing please! It's an option. The problem is trying to convince myself that the GX isn't too nice to really hammer. I already get crazy looks wheeling the GX in stock form! But if you consider my pretty sweet 05 is probably worth 10-12K with 125,000 miles, it's vastly superior to a similar value Wrangler in some aspects; no need to worry about a V-8 swap, axle beefing, and hey, it's a ton more roomy with some cargo space to boot. Plus total comfort and 18-19 mpg on the freeway legs makes other off-road capable rigs look pretty archaic. Main advantage (to me) with a Wrangler is it's rustic nature seems more suited to running hard, and it's about as modular as anything ever built, with tons of aftermarket options. Easier sheetmetal repairs. On the other hand, I think the GX with tasteful mods will work better all around and will probably cost less than selling it, buying a Wrangler, and starting from scratch. Especially if I want a V-8 (which of course I do). I think the main stumbling block is deciding if I could risk the GX vs. a Wrangler on some really challenging terrain. Even if the total investment were identical. I think it's a mental thing! Has anybody else gone through the same thought process?
I off-road mine all the time. I recently owned a Jeep Wrangler TJ (98), and while it was a basket case, it was really a fun little truck. My advice after owning both, is get over the fact that the GX is too nice. While my wrangler was fun, I'd never consider driving it cross country on vacations, never consider going grocery shopping in it, never consider going on a date in it, etc. the GX is one of those trucks that works well for everything. Granted, most of my off-roading is on vacations out west, so it sees a lot of sand and slick rock and gravel and hardly any mud or other terrain that would really tear up the paint and stuff, but there's nothing like off-roading for 6+ hours, in the middle of nowhere, with Toyota reliability on your mind. My wrangler was small, noisy, unrefined, and boring, and my GX is 100% the opposite. I have a picture somewhere from a gnarly trail in Moab where we stopped to enjoy the scenery and 3 lifted Rubicons came up and were taking pictures of my truck and couldn't believe it was on that specific trail and how far it had made it. I then finished the trail and went back to the hotel room at 70mph with the A/C cranking and the radio on. You really can't beat that.
Old 10-13-15, 10:33 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
My advice after owning both, is get over the fact that the GX is too nice. While my wrangler was fun, I'd never consider driving it cross country on vacations, never consider going grocery shopping in it, never consider going on a date in it, etc. the GX is one of those trucks that works well for everything
You echoed one side of the "little voices in my head" as I debate the options. Thanks for your thoughts based on experience. Is your GX stock? The one thing that makes me a bit gun shy is that I have scrapped the bottom of the rear and front bumper covers, and I didn't think I was being very aggressive. I'm hoping 2" to 3" of suspension lift plus at least an inch from tires will make all the difference in that regard. That, and replacing the running boards with rock sliders ought to alleviate my anxiety a bit. When I had an FJ40, I didn't rarely worried about body damage - in my mind bolting on a front fender, or repairing a flat piece of sheet metal or covering damage with diamond plate wasn't big deal. I just need to learn to relax with the GX and have fun. I love seeing the faces on other wheelers here in the Spring Mountains as I take on terrain that defies the soccer mom-mobile image most have of the GX ... even some uninitiated Toyota guys!
Old 10-13-15, 01:47 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a quote from the dealer to replace the stock air bags with new oem system and take that to the wife to justify an ICON stage 1 or 2 lift.
Old 10-13-15, 06:56 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zippinbye
You echoed one side of the "little voices in my head" as I debate the options. Thanks for your thoughts based on experience. Is your GX stock? The one thing that makes me a bit gun shy is that I have scrapped the bottom of the rear and front bumper covers, and I didn't think I was being very aggressive. I'm hoping 2" to 3" of suspension lift plus at least an inch from tires will make all the difference in that regard. That, and replacing the running boards with rock sliders ought to alleviate my anxiety a bit. When I had an FJ40, I didn't rarely worried about body damage - in my mind bolting on a front fender, or repairing a flat piece of sheet metal or covering damage with diamond plate wasn't big deal. I just need to learn to relax with the GX and have fun. I love seeing the faces on other wheelers here in the Spring Mountains as I take on terrain that defies the soccer mom-mobile image most have of the GX ... even some uninitiated Toyota guys!
My truck is mostly stock. It's got rims and tires and FJ cruiser/metal tech rear spring conversion. I off road my truck a lot, most recently out west in Moab, among other places, and didn't have any issues scraping bumpers. Running boards are a different story, but it comes down to approach angles to avoid scraping things up. Oh, and older TJ Wranglers bring stupid money for what you get. I traded mine in and got $4g's for it. It was rusty, needed floor pans, didn't have a working radio, no A/C, just a soft top, and the check engine light was on. I can't believe how well they hold their value, meaning you're going to drop some serious coin for a nice one.
Name:  DF67928A-B57E-458E-9A59-A190D4224C13_zpshcdksosp.png
Views: 332
Size:  464.0 KB
Name:  91C00F01-EF2F-4DC7-B747-7CBE32D6135E_zpstvy0arfl.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  148.6 KB

Last edited by BlackCat81; 10-13-15 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 01:59 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Morphyne
Get a quote from the dealer to replace the stock air bags with new oem system and take that to the wife to justify an ICON stage 1 or 2 lift.
I like the way you think. Unfortunately I have pulled back the curtain on Lexus dealer service long ago, and my wife has seen what's behind. Deviating from my normal frugal ways, we bought our second Lexus used from a dealer a dozen years ago (unusual cash in pocket, a silly-favorable trade on a hated Taurus, and a month-end sales qutoa made the stars align). She thought it was great when we had several positive warranty/customer services. Shoot, they rolled out the red carpet, gave us a loaner when appropriate, and croissants and cappuccino were enjoyed for quicker services. It rules is elegant and fine service. But when the coverage faded and our inpedent Toy/Lex shop or my own labor was compared to the dealer, my wife was an easy sell on leaving "The Ritz" behind. If I were to walk in the house with a $5K estimate from Lexus, the first question would be "what exactly are you up to?"

Fortunately for me, new tires will be called for anyhow, and even my own labor plus OEM parts for stock suspension maintenance should still justify the economics of an aftermarket alternative. Perhaps not ICON, but I might as well ask big and settle for good; basic negotiating tactics!