GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX vs LX or continue GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 04:18 AM
JFJacob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GX vs LX or continue GS

Well, family is growing and I guess I might have to cjnage my beloved GS and start driving an extra-cargo, gas-guzzler SUT (for truck not vehichle) and needed the advise of fellow ClubLex.
the deal is a certified pre-owned 2000 or 1999 LX 470with 40k-50k for about $35 grand, or a brand new leased GX which would probably cost about $35 grand in 4 yrs.

What's your experience and what advise. I really hate to surrender to the SUT forums, but kids demand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Old 04-28-03, 08:39 AM
donaldak
Driver School Candidate

I would suggest you go with the new GX470. That way you will have a new car, be able to get the rear seat entertainment package (an absolute must for long road trips with kids in the 3 to 16 year age group in our opinion) and not have to worry about its past or what may go wrong.

We have just changed from a 2000 Land Cruiser (59k) to the GX470. We loved the Land Cruiser (our second V8 powered version) and we were sad to see it go. While the GX is smaller than the LX470 (7/8ths), you really do not notice while you are driving. It sounds the same, feels the same (although it is a little choppier over rough surfaces) and it has all the same degree of practicallity. The cargo space is the only area that I have really noticed that it is smaller. The GX has the same super smooth V8 and has the new 5speed auto (the 99/00 LX will have the 4speed).

Another thing to remember (and this was the key decision factor in making our change) is that the LX will need a major service at 60k, which for the Land Cruiser was $950 and I have heard it is $1300 if you have Lexus do it (they have to change the timing belt). In addition, our tires, the originals, were getting very close to needing changing (and that would add about another $1000 to the cost of owning). Our Land Cruiser needed front and rear brake pads and rotors turned at 50k. These are all things that you will have to pay for if you get the older LX.

Another pleasant surprise with the GX is fuel consumption. Our Land Cruiser returned an average of 11.5mpg performing normal "soccermom" type duties around town and 18mpg on long trips. The GX is returning 14.9mpg and 20mpg respecively (a 33% or so improvement due to the fact it is significantly lighter)!

The only thing that I do not like about the GX is the "Barn Door "at the rear. I would prefer the LX/Land Crusier Hatch/Tailgate. When the door is open it adds quite a bit to the length of the vehicle. We could open up the back of our Land Crusier in the garage with the garage door closed. Now we have to leave the door open to bring in shopping etc. I know that they had to do this to make sure that there was enough headroom for the 3rd row seats, but it is a real pain. The door also appears to open on the wrong side as you have to stand in the road on the drivers side to open it. I feel that it would be safer to open it from the curbside. This is probably due to the fact it was originally designed as a right hand drive vehicle for Japan/Australia (see other posts in this forum about the Toyota Land Cruiser Grande).

Hope this helps.

A

Last edited by donaldak; 04-28-03 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-28-03, 04:19 PM
lexfanbham
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up lx or gx

I just moved from a 01 land cruiser to a new gx and I love it! It is very smooth and extremely comfortable. Between the two I would go for the gx. I agree about the lx, it is an incredible ride, but you will have to take the financial responsibilities of a used car. So if you can get by without the additional room of the lx, get the gx and peace of mind that it will not need new tires or the additional upkeep. My land cruiser was not cheap to service so I can imagine the LX would be just as expensive. Either way you go, you will get a great vehicle, but for me the gx is the winner hands down.

Jaso
Old 04-30-03, 09:40 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

New is always better and since your gonna spend 35k why not check out a V8 4Runner Limited, in the end you will own it, pretty much has everything Lexus has at least mine does even the same quality service except the added cost for lexus service, I guess all the food they put out on different ocassions and such has to be paid for by customers who would otherwise never eat the food.

I compared my 4Runner to my ES300 maintaince cost and routine oil changes are 20 bucks but lexus charges 70, the Lexus 5000 mile service is free but the 10k is under 169 I think, my 4Runner has more stuff and does not need a 10k service but at 15k only requires 200bucks, they have an added premium but maybe that is cause Prestige Lexus is building a new place.

If you slightly interested in the 4Runner check out Prestige Toyota ask for Dave Costello never hurts to look and test drive
Old 04-30-03, 10:40 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

JF,

I would consider the CPO 2000LX. Yes, its not new...but if you find a clean one the CPO process must bring up to date all the major service on the LX. Further, the brakes, tires ect will all be new or pass inspection. You will have the CPO warranty so thats not a issue....and most of all you will be buying the truck not renting it with nothing to show for your 35k at the end of 3-4 years.

We purchased a 99LX CPO with 42k last year. All the major service was up to date including the 45k service that changed all the fluids, diffs, transfer, trans, coolant ect, ect....plus the brakes were replaced on the front, new tires ect... Yeah, the 60k service can run some money...but, I wont need to change all the diff fluids, trans or coolant. Hell with the timing belt at 60k thats a joke...your good to 90 or even 120k on the timing belt no problem.

The GX is tempting but the LX still runs/drives like new at over 50k.