GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-18, 05:06 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I called them about 10x until someone picked up, their toll free # is disconnected and the main is a guys cell # I could tell by the background noise and the questions he was and wsnt able to answer. They ARE coming from china no matter which 1 you order, he wouldnt tell me the brand, wouldnt give me a straight answer. So obviously he is buying them as a wholesaler/reseller and probably having them shipped directly to the customer. The shipping options are, 5 days processing no matter what, express, which is the 50 dollar option I think is another 5 he said, BUT he wasnt very clear when I asked him a TOTAL, he kept breaking it up as in processing 5 days shipping X amount of days. The standard he said was 5 to 10 days so why pay 50 bucks??/ If you look at the website a rear view camera says add 10 bucks, you go to add it, he tries to charge 15 buckss. The only option I liked was the 2G amoount of space. Would I ever use that much? idk, but for the $ and the added space why not? the metal frame, Im not too sure about. If our fingers hands come into contact with it, and its painted over time its going to wear compared to dyed plastic. BeEvil might be able to chime in and say exactly what part is metal or plastic, if it really matters. also what G he got. IDK my A.D.D kicks in after looking at this **** after a while and I just want to order 1! I DID get a email from DLC so even though the website says closed they may still be selling, it just took a whilr, 2 days to get a reply. Yes, more than likely ALL these units if you look are the SAME ones, rebranede, they come from the same place with very slight differences in some software, hardware options are different, 1 or 2 g operating systems obviously they have to work in english and with our trucks. DLC software is the 1 that works in english if you look at other sellers, same pics, languages(foreign) specs everything identical except name on the box basically
Old 05-24-18, 10:44 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
Yes, more than likely ALL these units if you look are the SAME ones, rebranede, they come from the same place with very slight differences in some software, hardware options are different, 1 or 2 g operating systems obviously they have to work in english and with our trucks. DLC software is the 1 that works in english if you look at other sellers, same pics, languages(foreign) specs everything identical except name on the box basically
You got me thinking, so I did a Google / eBay / Amazon search and you're right - these units appear to be sourced out of China, and all these sellers are just resellers who get product shipped in and then resell with a markup.

I'm wondering if we can get enough of a group buy going, could we get a discount direct from the manufacturer... going to keep digging...

I'm a little concerned about these small outfits reselling the unit, I want someone who will stand behind the product to an extent. Some guy and his cell phone in a noisy environment doesn't exactly inspire confidence...
Old 05-25-18, 09:04 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

If anything I am going with DLC like BeEvil, so if you are getting ready to pull the trigger soon, let me know. Yes I learned a lot when I owned my business, store brand like oil, and brake pads, are actually (not all) are some name brands (not all top of the line, in different boxes, labels, etc. or the hardware is the same such as these units and the software may have some different (if any changes) it appears to me DLC may have went with the better OS and thats what they are selling, BeEvil did a lot of research and pulled the trigger. Sure 1 of us can take a chance and the units will hook up, fit all that but ENGLISH is the key here! Just like Samsungs S8 phones and the delay for Bixby the issue was getting the program translated into english, I dont see what the issue is! I dont have a problem with the language! lol

Last edited by DiabloX22; 05-25-18 at 09:05 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-25-18, 09:25 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

I will try not to blab, but back to these units, and a lot of other parts. I will give you a idea and let you run with it. If each 1 of these sellers made their own products and sold them, it would cost them way too much, their overhead and they would rely on sales to stay in business way too much. They out source from manufactures usually 1, 2 maybe 3 big bulk ones that spit these things out very cheap. These sellers buy them and put their name on them, thats why ALL the pics look the same and there is SO many! The manufacture doesnt need to or want to deal with or in business to sell to the public, they want to sell in numbers to sellers like on Ali, they dont care about mark up or what they do with them. They care about sales in numbers, to be honest 1 of these things we are paying 700 bucks for probably costs 50 to make. Not to get too into it, there are design costs, set up costs for the equipment etc all upfront, once all that is done and these are starting to be made the factory wants to spit them out and sell them as fast as they can. So the same thing goes with a lot of other parts, if you start thinking about it, if there were seperate manufacurers and factories for each brand of all this crap as we as consumers buy, which, dont get me wrong for some specialty items there are, but for the most part, its all the same ****
Old 05-25-18, 06:53 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

but ENGLISH is the key here!
Did you see on the DLC AliExpress page:

"OSD Language:Russian"

Uh..... I can't read Russian. Can anyone confirm if it truly is in Russian only?
Old 05-28-18, 05:40 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyCRX
Thanks! And unfortunately, I haven't yet. We haven't even been driving the GX much, recently. I installed one of the Android radios in my Focus sedan, and it's overall been pretty nice. I haven't had a chance to do it yet on the GX, because I want to take my time more and make sure everything is 100% right on the installation.

I should be able to look into it more in a couple of weeks, I believe. I'll definitely post back here once I'm done!

One question I have for the one that posted above of their installation functioning -- since the Android radios take a while to boot up, does it also take a while before the climate control functions begin to work after you start the vehicle? That could be a deal-breaker for me living in Texas and waiting that much longer for the vehicle to begin cooling down with an infant in the car.

Ricky
@RickyCRX - The Android system takes about 30 seconds to boot up. Worth the wait.
Old 05-28-18, 05:41 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by Turbinator
Did you see on the DLC AliExpress page:

"OSD Language:Russian"

Uh..... I can't read Russian. Can anyone confirm if it truly is in Russian only?
@Turbinator - My OSD is in English. I can't read Russian either. I think you can specify at checkout what language you want.
Old 05-28-18, 10:27 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

I am not or cant read Russian either. When I communicated with BeEvil it was English, his pics and comment, were English. I found out he was in Canada, I am sure he or some one will correct me if I am wrong I beleive English and French are the 2 languages mostly known there IF you were to assume. So I would not worry about that! Thats almost like saying we have to learn Japanese! For or Lexus, it sounds really really difficult to me!!!
Old 05-28-18, 10:30 AM
BeEvil
Driver

I am not or cant read Russian either. When I communicated with BeEvil it was English, his pics and comment, were English. I found out he was in Canada, I am sure he or some one will correct me if I am wrong I beleive English and French are the 2 languages mostly known there IF you were to assume. So I would not worry about that! Thats almost like saying we have to learn Japanese! For or Lexus, it sounds really really difficult to me!!!
Yes, I'm in Canada and the 2 official languages are English and French.
Old 05-28-18, 10:44 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Yes, I'm in Canada and the 2 official languages are English and French.
Old 05-29-18, 01:44 AM
Sjone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phoenix User Videos

Here's a guy who has done the install and taken several videos of it.

Last edited by Sjone; 05-29-18 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Fix link
The following users liked this post:
AAD2 (01-25-20)
Old 06-06-18, 08:34 AM
mudfunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like there are two big model differences -- with AC buttons and without. Units with the buttons are cheaper for some reason. Appears that you can choose to the use the AC buttons or On - Screen controls, but not both. Screens with AC buttons also have a built in location for the MIC. Still trying to figure out how "auto AC" affects the decision/setup for going with a button unit. My guess is that we would have to go to on screen controls.

There are a few different manufacturers of these units. For example:
Canavie
Chogath
Xuheng

I'm ready to buy, but the price differential makes me pause. Units look mostly plug and play with the exception of the OEM backup camera issues and maybe a firmware update.
Old 06-06-18, 08:46 AM
Sjone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen several people reporting issues such as receiving incorrect wiring harnesses, difficulties contacting and receiving support, and having CAN bus issues. And that's just on the install. I've heard a few secondhand reports of them just plain dying after a couple of months. Unless you're experienced with car audio/electrical work, are comfortable with communicating through google translate, and are okay with paying 6-900 dollars for something that might crap out in a month, I would hold off on these for a while. Also, other than a single one with full functionality, the best cases I've seen so far have reported about 85-90% functionality.
Old 06-07-18, 05:06 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by Sjone
I've seen several people reporting issues such as receiving incorrect wiring harnesses, difficulties contacting and receiving support, and having CAN bus issues. And that's just on the install. I've heard a few secondhand reports of them just plain dying after a couple of months. Unless you're experienced with car audio/electrical work, are comfortable with communicating through google translate, and are okay with paying 6-900 dollars for something that might crap out in a month, I would hold off on these for a while. Also, other than a single one with full functionality, the best cases I've seen so far have reported about 85-90% functionality.
@Sjone - Where have you heard/seen these complaints? Would like to see for myself. I've had one installed for several months now and I have no issues. I had it professionally installed. It's been through a Canadian winter and functioned great other than on mornings below -20C. But would come on after about 5min of warming up. I purchased mine from DLC through AliExpress. Please provide evidence. Thanks.
Old 06-07-18, 06:17 AM
mudfunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phoenix android radios appears to have a physical location in the US and offers a 1 year warranty. A little more peace of mind

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?