GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 09:05 AM
tg9266
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=BeEvil;10081855]

Photos I took today. Everything works as it should. I wouldn’t worry too much about the different audio configurations. I’m pretty sure it’ll still be plug and play throughout the 2003-2009 model years. The connections will remain the same no matter what they changed elsewhere in the audio systems. just my 2 cents.
/QUOTE]
thanks for all of your posts regarding this unit. It works with US version with nav OR without?
Old 01-08-19, 04:08 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

@tg9266 It works with NAV units only. But still check with the manufacturer.
Old 01-08-19, 04:36 PM
Hog300
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So it looks like the only replacement for the non nav factory option is this tesla style unit? No trusted supplier with a double din will work? Pioneer...Kenwood...etc? It looks super nice with the big screen but I'm skeptical of this China manufactured unit.
Old 01-08-19, 08:15 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog300
So it looks like the only replacement for the non nav factory option is this tesla style unit? No trusted supplier with a double din will work? Pioneer...Kenwood...etc? It looks super nice with the big screen but I'm skeptical of this China manufactured unit.
Quite a few people have converted a Nav system to an aftermarket head unit. Yes, it does take some work but, totally doable. If you are interested, I have a spreadsheet detailing the ways.
Just curious, Where do you think the Pioneer, Kenwood, Etc. units are Manifactured?
Old 01-08-19, 08:31 PM
Hog300
Driver School Candidate

I know most electronics are manufactured in China but I would much rather there be some reputable company name selling the product. I've purchase cheap electronics online before and there is a reason they are cheap.
Old 01-08-19, 09:31 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dondekako

“appears to have” have we found out if really have a physical location in the USA?
Originally Posted by Kelevra
There is a location in Los Angeles, CA. I believe it is on Wilshire Blvd. Never been to it though.
Is it this one?
https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.com/
Phoenix Automotive
727 Brea Canyon Road Suite 9
Walnut, CA 91789

Old 01-09-19, 07:18 AM
Kelevra
Driver

Originally Posted by malmon
Is it this one?
https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.com/
Phoenix Automotive
727 Brea Canyon Road Suite 9
Walnut, CA 91789
Yes, Looks like they moved to Walnut, CA.
Old 01-10-19, 11:13 AM
2Sheds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog300
I bought and installed this unit.
It differs from the usual double-DIN units out there from Kenwood/Pioneer et al because it's actually wider that double-DIN (the screen is double DIN, the entire unit is the size of the old Lexus non-NAV unit). Also, it has several large, backlit buttons...and *****. Imagine that...buttons and *****. I'm not a fan of all-screen solutions. No tactile feedback, have to read the screen and good luck in direct sunlight...context menus keep changing... but that's only one man's opinion.

The plusses - factory "look", I now have an integrated backup camera, SD, USB, Bluetooth audio, Android 8.0 (will run anything Android including Google Maps or any other GPS app/tracker you want), can tether my phone to the unit, run the Torque app for diagnostic info, run Amazon music etc, can change the background lighting to anything I want. I'm also able to attach a couple of inexpensive USB cameras to it via the multiple USB inputs and record to an SD card, though I haven't tried that yet.

The minuses - installation was easy and straightforward but time consuming. Not the cheapest solution. The camera will occasionally freeze (maybe twice a month) but will reset when the power cycles. I also question the Android support, as there seems to be no way to update it...at least not yet. It will connect to my home wifi and get onto the web just fine...but the update seems to go nowhere. Google Play apps update fine.

...just my .02.

Last edited by 2Sheds; 01-10-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 04:16 PM
Hog300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks 2Sheds!!! That was more what I was looking for as a replacement.
Old 01-15-19, 10:03 PM
nick1409
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus GX 470 2005

Originally Posted by BeEvil

Its a front camera that I use in case of an accident. There are a lot of bad drivers in the Toronto area.
hello
can you provide me details of the person who install it in Toronto.
thanks
Old 01-16-19, 04:42 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nick1409

hello
can you provide me details of the person who install it in Toronto.
thanks
PM sent. Good luck.
Old 02-18-19, 06:34 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

I saw that Phenix site earlier today. Has onyone tried this product? I’m also hoping for an Apple Play version but it might work.
Old 02-18-19, 07:53 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

Default Would love to see your list!

Trying to figure out my options for this. Was hoping to find some sort of apple car play solution. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kelevra
Quite a few people have converted a Nav system to an aftermarket head unit. Yes, it does take some work but, totally doable. If you are interested, I have a spreadsheet detailing the ways.
Just curious, Where do you think the Pioneer, Kenwood, Etc. units are Manifactured?
Old 02-18-19, 08:14 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Originally Posted by ColoradoMH
Trying to figure out my options for this. Was hoping to find some sort of apple car play solution. Thanks!

You can use Apple Car Play with any of the Android units. You need a download and a dongle to do so.
Old 02-19-19, 05:22 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

@Kelevra Do you mind sharing that spreadsheet? I'm really leaning towards that Phoenix unit but a bit concerned if it will work. 2003 with NAV/ML. Thanks

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?