GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 10:26 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

It was around -20C
Old 01-20-18, 10:46 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by BeEvil
It was around -20C
So if it was parked outside at -10C, it would be fine still? Or is the system pretty sluggish until it warms up?
Old 01-20-18, 01:06 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

The cold is likely affecting the material in the LCD so it can't change phase & show you the image. What happens when you touch it - does the function still work?

CHip H.
Old 01-20-18, 04:29 PM
BeEvil
Driver

The screen remains black until it warms up. Then it slowly comes to life. Functions work but you really can’t see them so not an easy task until you can actually see.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 06:04 PM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by IanB2
So if it was parked outside at -10C, it would be fine still? Or is the system pretty sluggish until it warms up?
Sorry for the late response to this one. I missed it somehow. At -10 C the unit is still functional and not sluggish. But starting around -15C it starts to be slow and takes a few min to get going. Hope that answers your question.
IanB2 (01-22-18)
Old 01-22-18, 04:44 AM
kdburtch
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you been using the bluetooth function and how well is that working?
Old 01-22-18, 05:23 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by kdburtch
Have you been using the bluetooth function and how well is that working?
Yes, I use Bluetooth for phone calls and I stream my music through my phone as well. Absolutely no problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by BeEvil:
Dizzydre (01-28-18), kdburtch (01-22-18)
Old 01-28-18, 08:04 AM
Dizzydre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I use Bluetooth for phone calls and I stream my music through my phone as well. Absolutely no problems.
BeEvil, thanks for all your work and your responses on this product, I've been considering this since December when I first heard about it. I'm happy to see someone with it actually installed and working fine. I plan on ordering it for my 2004 GX470. Living in Southern California I don't I'll have to worry about the cold issue.

1 question I have for you, is the software, are there any quirks about the software that drive you crazy? Also do you have any external subwoofers? Or are you just running the stock ML system?
Old 01-28-18, 10:54 AM
BeEvil
Driver

“1 question I have for you, is the software, are there any quirks about the software that drive you crazy? Also do you have any external subwoofers? Or are you just running the stock ML system?”

I haven't had any quirks so far that annoy me. I even figured out how to make Waze my default nav on the home screen. I prefer Waze over all other navigation systems. Really works well. I just use the phone as a “hot spot” and it functions perfectly.

I use the ML sub which I need to replace. It’s blown as were my front door speakers which I’ve already replaced.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope I goes as well as mine did. Let us know how it goes!!
Old 01-29-18, 07:57 AM
rzuff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstarmark
I saw this one on Ebay. It s seems the specs are about the same. Any thoughts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112732390153
Looks like this version is Android 6.0 and the other unit without buttons is Android 4.4.2
Old 01-30-18, 04:42 AM
BeEvil
Driver

In my opinion, and this is based on experience, having larger "buttons" on the screen is helpful. Trying to touch a small area on the screen is difficult and a few times I've touched the wrong area of the screen and it takes you away from where you wanted to be. Mind you this is while driving. But I find if I steady my hand on the edge of the console first it helps. Best thing would be to wait till you are stopped but that isn't always possible.

It looks good though. A little more modern looking but layout looks very similar to the unit I have. Anyone have this unit yet? Any problems with installation or operation?

Last edited by BeEvil; 01-30-18 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-01-18, 11:00 AM
shakazulu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to AliExpress of the unit I purchased. Hope this is the solution a lot of you are looking for. Good luck.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DLC-...ceBeautifyAB=0
You are the man!!!! This is the only aspect of my GX that I can't stand.
BeEvil (02-01-18)
Old 02-06-18, 02:14 PM
Opeechee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely would love to hear more about these installs. I'm a Canadian with a US spec 2006 GX, would love to put one of these systems in it.... Cold is a bit worrysome as I live in Calgary and it's been -20 for a month now.

BEevil, thanks so much for all your posts, learned a lot today and making me really excited.
BeEvil (02-06-18)
Old 02-06-18, 02:30 PM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by Opeechee
Definitely would love to hear more about these installs. I'm a Canadian with a US spec 2006 GX, would love to put one of these systems in it.... Cold is a bit worrysome as I live in Calgary and it's been -20 for a month now.

BEevil, thanks so much for all your posts, learned a lot today and making me really excited.
It’s been cold here too and snowing more than usual. But the Android keeps coming on no matter how cold it’s been. Just takes a little while to warm up. But it never fails. If you get one you won’t regret it. Best upgrade you can get for the 1st Gen GX’s.
Old 02-06-18, 05:02 PM
Opeechee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BeEvil, I know you don't know for sure, but do you think the only real difference between the model you got, and the other model that was linked in this thread with the side buttons is the screen size? Yours obviously would have an extra inch in the screen width atleast. Also does the screen on yours curve with the angle of the dash? Would you mind taking a picture on an angle so I can see how it sits in the console?

Also did your mechanic end up making notes? I'm worried about buying this, and then the tech i hire turns my sweet gx into a lemon by installing it incorrectly. Thanks for answering my questions.

Has anyone else ordered the model with the side buttons? I would think maybe it would be nice to have a few controls

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?