GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 05:18 PM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

@Operchee - You are correct. I don’t know the differences between the two. I’m sure though that the one I have will work for your 2006 GX. The website says it’s for 2004-2009 GX models with Nav. The screen is not curved but flat. It doesn’t look out of place at all and looks completely natural. I’ll take some photos tomorrow and post them. You do get controls at the bottom of the screen for climate control. The only thing is I’m not sure about the back up camera. Mine was an aftermarket one and my mechanic was able to make it work. I recommend hiring a good car audio installer to do the job. Shop around and go visit some in your area. You should be able to find one that can competently install the device. Show them the ad and see what they think. I wish you luck. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

One more thing. My mechanic had to rearrange some wiring to make it fit properly. Not a big deal but good to know.

Last edited by BeEvil; 02-06-18 at 05:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Opeechee (02-06-18)
Old 02-07-18, 05:29 PM
BeEvil
Driver

Here are a few photos of how the Android screen is reassessed in to the GX470 dash.

The following 2 users liked this post by BeEvil:
Galanty (08-03-18), Opeechee (02-07-18)
Old 02-07-18, 05:35 PM
Opeechee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man, looks great. Do you find it hard to see the driver temperature gage from the driving position?

Currently on a mission to find the best stereo installer in Calgary to put this bad boy in, and maybe get an aftermarket surround video system put in as well at the same time. Thanks again man.
Old 02-07-18, 05:49 PM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by Opeechee
Thanks man, looks great. Do you find it hard to see the driver temperature gage from the driving position?

Currently on a mission to find the best stereo installer in Calgary to put this bad boy in, and maybe get an aftermarket surround video system put in as well at the same time. Thanks again man.
No problem. Glad I can help. You can see the entire screen without any obstruction. Very easy to see and use. Good luck on your search.

Are you in Alberta? I’ll be in Calgary on the 22nd. Going to Fernie for a ski trip with some buds.
Old 02-08-18, 08:15 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had my stock radio out. So for th guys that are worried about install, I wouldn't be. No plug is the same, so to mess it up would be very difficult! I will be doing my install when I order my unit. The only thing that could take a little time is a rear camera on a model that did not come equipped with 1. If they sell a wireless 1, problem solved! Yes there are a ton of wires and plugs behind our Nav units, for assembly purposes at the factory, only 1 plug can go in 1 location. Looking at the back of this, it looks very very simple to install. For those of you doing the upgrade, don't worry about it, it's not as difficult as it seems, especially since Evil went ahead and made the purchase and we know the unit itself works, that was the biggest concern! Not saying this to be a AH, that's why its called plug and play.
The following 2 users liked this post by DiabloX22:
BeEvil (02-08-18), Opeechee (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 08:48 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Any touchscreen in the frigid cold is going to have a delay time until it warms up. Even the 1 with the buttons on the side will not display properly until it's warm. Yes you an turn on the heat, crank the temp and fan (depending how it operates) like Evil said, if it's cold out, just leave it on the time before you shut off the truck to let it warm up.

hey Evil, is there any way or need to update the software, drivers or anything like that for the unit? Thanks for finding this! My interior is almost showroom perfect. I get compliments all the time on the condition of the interior and exterior of the truck. When I tell people what year it is, they lose their mind! Once I install this, it will be the finishing touches to perfect! The Nav system and tape player are a eye sore, are worthless when you actually try to use it! Thanks again! The price isn't bad either, I thought it would be double!

just curious though, idk why, are you keeping your old unit or selling it, did you trash it already?
Old 02-08-18, 09:09 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
Any touchscreen in the frigid cold is going to have a delay time until it warms up. Even the 1 with the buttons on the side will not display properly until it's warm. Yes you an turn on the heat, crank the temp and fan (depending how it operates) like Evil said, if it's cold out, just leave it on the time before you shut off the truck to let it warm up.

hey Evil, is there any way or need to update the software, drivers or anything like that for the unit? Thanks for finding this! My interior is almost showroom perfect. I get compliments all the time on the condition of the interior and exterior of the truck. When I tell people what year it is, they lose their mind! Once I install this, it will be the finishing touches to perfect! The Nav system and tape player are a eye sore, are worthless when you actually try to use it! Thanks again! The price isn't bad either, I thought it would be double!

just curious though, idk why, are you keeping your old unit or selling it, did you trash it already?
+1 on the screen warming up.

I didn't have to do any software updates. It worked fine right out of the box. Glad to hear that it looks like an easy install. FYI, I think you may need to rearrange the wiring behind the unit in order to make it fit just right.

I get the same reaction when I tell people it's a 2003. Inside and out it's in superb condition. Then they see the Android system and say no way it's a 2003. I have to explain that I replaced the old cassette deck and nav unit. Then it makes more sense.

BTW I always leave the climate controls in AUTO. So it waits till the engine is warm any way before cranking up the fan speed. Heats up fast!!

I still have the old unit. Not getting rid of it just in case something goes wrong. I don't foresee any problems, the installed unit seems to be high quality.

I'm excited to see the outcome of your install. I hope it goes as good as my experience. Maybe then others will feel more comfortable trying it out. Seems they are waiting on the sidelines for others to prove the systems work. I applaud you sir for having the fortitude!!
Old 02-08-18, 10:22 AM
Opeechee
Driver School Candidate

I found an installer really confident that he can put it in no problem. Only issue now is that the unit you got Beevil is out of stock! : (
Old 02-08-18, 11:11 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by Opeechee
I found an installer really confident that he can put it in no problem. Only issue now is that the unit you got Beevil is out of stock! : (

I just checked. You are correct!! WOW. Did you contact the seller? Maybe find out when they will have more in stock.

FYI, If you go to AliExpress and do a search for GX470 Android you'll find a few other sellers that seem to have the same system still in stock.

Last edited by BeEvil; 02-08-18 at 11:22 AM.
Opeechee (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 11:56 AM
Opeechee
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, I did the search and the only similar product is actually a different one, they look similar, but comparing the specs they are not the same unit. I don't know enough about this stuff to know if it's better, worse, or actually the same. A closeup on the screen, BeEvil yours has different buttons on the side, there is only one kind of home button on the other screen. On the screenshot BEevil your unit is on the right. The one that is instock is in the left.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?-screen-shot-2018-02-08-at-12.58.25-pm.jpg  
Old 02-08-18, 12:16 PM
Opeechee
Driver School Candidate

Upon further research...

This is the same model as yours BEEvil... with the - CPU R16/T3 Cortex-A7 Quad Core 1.6GHZ processors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-4...ceBeautifyAB=0

This is also for sale, which appears to have newer processors... CPU:1.R16,Cortex-A9 4 core,1.6G

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-4...ceBeautifyAB=0

Gonna shoot both these links to my stereo guy and see if he has an opinion.
Galanty (08-03-18)
Old 02-08-18, 04:35 PM
BeEvil
Driver

@Opeechee - Keep is posted.
Old 02-09-18, 09:12 AM
shakazulu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That basically looks like the install is about as difficult as putting in the VIAS unit I already have. One question, do I have to run wires and mount a new microphone for the bluetooth, or will it just use the existing hardware that is already in my truck and utilize the new software/hardware in the head unit to stream music/calls etc?
Old 02-09-18, 09:26 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by shakazulu
That basically looks like the install is about as difficult as putting in the VIAS unit I already have. One question, do I have to run wires and mount a new microphone for the bluetooth, or will it just use the existing hardware that is already in my truck and utilize the new software/hardware in the head unit to stream music/calls etc?

You will have to run a new microphone and GPS sensor and 2 USB input wires. My microphone is mounted on the steering wheel column and gps on the dash and the USB input cables are mounted in the glove box. Relatively easy to do since you have the dash apart already.
shakazulu (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 10:16 AM
shakazulu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. This product really excites me. I just had a knee operation, so I'll likely be ordering in a couple weeks when I can move around again and install it. I'll try and post another review and pics for everyone else to see.

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?