GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cracked Windshield Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 07:54 PM
vs1979
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield Replacement.

Hi all. I have a crack in my windshield, it's about 18" long, I suppose a windshield has to be replaced. My truck is 2007 and insured with Geico (Full collision, glass $0 deductible). Did anyone had to deal with replacing a windshield? Thank you in advance for all you advise and / or suggestions.
Old 07-11-16, 05:35 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by vs1979
Hi all. I have a crack in my windshield, it's about 18" long, I suppose a windshield has to be replaced. My truck is 2007 and insured with Geico (Full collision, glass $0 deductible). Did anyone had to deal with replacing a windshield? Thank you in advance for all you advise and / or suggestions.
yea....demand lexus OEM glass from GEICO not aftermarket....glass may be glass but fit is the issue.
Old 07-11-16, 09:00 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just take it to your Lexus dealer for the glass replacement..
Old 07-11-16, 09:09 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the insurance company cover it? My understanding is they have a approved list. And the dealer is generally not on the list.
Old 07-11-16, 09:26 AM
ALAN553
Racer

usually have to fight for it.....or pay the difference in cost...fighting usually works
Old 07-11-16, 02:36 PM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think by law you as the consumer can bring the truck to any repair shop of your choosing for insurance claims (this is not health insurance ). Bring it to Lexus and get them to replace OEM. In the past I've never had any issues doing this with my other, non-lexus cars. I use State Farm, but I am fairly confident they have to allow you to work with a shop of your choosing...
Old 07-12-16, 06:52 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ this is correct ^^^
Old 07-12-16, 10:16 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vs1979
I have an aftermarket windshield in mine. I believe Pilkington is the brand, it's made in America. I have 0 issues with mine, and the rain sensing wipers actually work better with this aftermarket windshield than they did with the factory one. Aftermarket is fine, as long as it's not a China windshield. Then you get into issues with glass quality and distortion and things like that. I've been in the car business a lot of years, and have never seen an aftermarket windshield not fit correctly.
Old 07-13-16, 02:23 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
I have an aftermarket windshield in mine. I believe Pilkington is the brand, it's made in America. I have 0 issues with mine, and the rain sensing wipers actually work better with this aftermarket windshield than they did with the factory one. Aftermarket is fine, as long as it's not a China windshield. Then you get into issues with glass quality and distortion and things like that. I've been in the car business a lot of years, and have never seen an aftermarket windshield not fit correctly.
Isn't pilkington considered the premier auto glass manufacturer? They might be the OEM manufacturer for Lexus ?
Old 07-13-16, 03:13 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Isn't pilkington considered the premier auto glass manufacturer? They might be the OEM manufacturer for Lexus ?
No idea. A place called auto glass masters installed it really cheap. We use them at work quite frequently. I think I paid $280 installed.
Old 07-13-16, 06:15 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
+1 for this. I had a Pilkington piece of glass installed on my GX and it is perfect. You would never tell a difference between it and the "Lexus" glass. My insurance would not pay for leuxs glass due to the age of the vehicle, so I went with the Pilkington. I did have Lexus glass installed on a 2014 IS and actually that piece of glass had a defect in it...go figure. I would just make sure you get a Pilkington windshield and call it good.
Old 07-13-16, 01:57 PM
rstl99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had read that genuine Lexus glass is much thicker than, say, 4Runner glass, which contributes to vehicle sound proofing. Maybe the Pilkington has similar properties and I will check it out if-when I need to get my windshield replaced. Thanks
Old 07-14-16, 07:59 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Correct, Pilkington glass is who makes the OEM glass. Lexus doesn't make glass.

I replaced my windshield last year. The biggest issue when replacing glass is making sure the technician takes his time installing the gel/sensor pad for the auto wipers. It is important to proper functionality that all air/water bubbles are removed. If this is not installed correctly the wipers will function erratically.
Old 07-14-16, 06:44 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cssnms

I replaced my windshield last year. The biggest issue when replacing glass is making sure the technician takes his time installing the gel/sensor pad for the auto wipers. It is important to proper functionality that all air/water bubbles are removed. If this is not installed correctly the wipers will function erratically.
Guess I scored big then, because if I recall, my cost through the dealership I work at was $280 installed.
Old 07-14-16, 07:26 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by cssnms

I agree. Sometimes they just peel,off the old gel pad and reuse it...but...the whole rain sensor thing is way to sensitive anyhow....i put aquapel on my glass...disconnect the sensor and go with basic intermittent. With aquapel...water just blows off.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield Replacement.