GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Super bouncy rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 04:01 PM
fitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Super bouncy rear suspension

Hey all, I'm fitch and I'm new. You'll probably get to know me quite a bit better as time goes on. I'm in the DMV area if anyone wants to grab a beer and do some wrenching.

I just bought an 04 GX with plans to turn it into a little overlander. Currently I'm having an issue though that makes this thing impossible to drive if you want to stay in your seat and not bounce around inside it like a bouncy castle of death.

Whenever a go over any little bump with the rear, the car bounces like hell. I have plans to convert from the airbags in the rear, but don't really have time to devote to it right now.

Has anyone had similar issues like this? Yesterday I didn't have this issue, everything was very smooth and the ride was quite nice, today however, it doesn't seam that the comfort-sport adjuster does anything and the ride height adjuster doesn't seem to do anything either.

If anyone has any advice for me or a quick fix, please let me know..
Old 02-07-17, 04:41 PM
mysh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you raise the car with the height adjuster? It should be very obvious, you should hear the compressor kick in and the back end should rise a couple inches. If nothing happens then you have issues and if nothing happens with the height adjuster than sadly it could be the sensors.

Last edited by mysh; 02-08-17 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-07-17, 04:51 PM
fitch
Driver School Candidate

Nothing happens when I press the height adjuster. On the dash it indicates that it's in the N position. Yesterday pressing up or down on the adjuster resulted in the green light blinking until it said it was higher or lower. It also looks from the side like the vehicle is level. It isn't sagging, and it isn't raked. But the rear is absolutely way to firm.
Old 02-07-17, 05:05 PM
mysh
Driver School Candidate

You are stopped when raising it correct?

So yesterday the light blinked and said it was in H but now it does nothing? If this is the case then you have an issue with the rear suspension. This is a known issue with the GX and there is a lot written about it on this forum. It can be quite a few things and it seems like dealers take advantage and go straight to the most expensive options.

If you are stopped and raise it then it should raise. Its that simple and if it doesn't then something is wrong. The compressor can be bad which would lead to a bad ride since its not blowing up when its needed. It also can be the sensors and a few other things. Its unlikely that its a bad bag since it seems to do nothing on both sides.
Old 02-07-17, 05:59 PM
fitch
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I am stopped when I try to adjust the height. You're correct, yesterday it worked, today it is broken. Nothing happens when I try to adjust the height.

It's clear that there is something wrong. That's why I made this post.

The question is, what's the logical next step? How do I troubleshoot what the issue is? Is it ever worth paying the extra dollar to repair a few components with the factory rear suspension versus just deleting the air suspension in lieu of a spring setup and a lift?
Old 02-07-17, 06:24 PM
mysh
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-on-gx470.html

This thread has a ton of info on the issues and converting. I think it would be a good read for you since you are having issues and you are considering converting the suspension.
Old 02-08-17, 07:15 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by mysh
Can you raise the car with the height adjuster? It should be very obvious, you should hear the compressor kick in and the back end should rise 6 inches. If nothing happens then you have issues and if nothing happens with the height adjuster than sadly it could be the sensors.
I've admittedly never measured, but mine certainly does not rise 6" on the high setting, not even compared to the low setting. I'd guess 3" of travel from low to high, at best.
The following users liked this post:
DevB (01-28-21)
Old 02-08-17, 09:32 AM
mysh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
I've admittedly never measured, but mine certainly does not rise 6" on the high setting, not even compared to the low setting. I'd guess 3" of travel from low to high, at best.

Your right it is only a couple inches. Some one had told me that at lexus and I always just remembered that number. It looks like a lot to me when mine is in high mode but I just looked it up and itz only a couple inches. THat surprises me since I feel like it looks very obvious when its raised.
Old 02-08-17, 01:27 PM
fitch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info guys. After reading through the other thread I think it'll be best just to not even mess with it and do away with the air suspension for good.
Old 02-08-17, 01:42 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought an 04' GX last September (truck was from WV), and when I got it here in MD and tried to get it inspected all my shocks failed (or 3 of 4). The air suspension ones were $1600 or $1000 for aftermarket ones without the air suspension for the back. I went with the OEM air shocks but honestly the only reason I have ever seen that feature used is when my buddy's LR4 went through an ATM of a bank with his Thule case strapped on top off the roof rack and after he damaged the Thule case, he lowered the truck to make it through the lane that has those big yellow height limit logs. If I had to do over no way would I have paid the extra sheckels for the air suspension.

Also, I have since done a lot to get my GX to look and drive normal as this thing was rough, really rough when I got it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions also.
Old 02-08-17, 02:30 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 612 Posts

"Bouncy" isn't going to be the air bags. It's going to be the shocks.

If the ride height adjustment is also broken - that's got to be a total coincidence. But ... possible.

Chip H.
Old 02-08-17, 03:15 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
"Bouncy" isn't going to be the air bags. It's going to be the shocks.

If the ride height adjustment is also broken - that's got to be a total coincidence. But ... possible.

Chip H.
If the bags are not filling up at all and its resting on the bump stops (which i think may be the case) it will be extremely bouncy.

I doubt both his shocks blew out completely at the same time.
DevB (01-28-21)
Old 02-08-17, 05:30 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

It's almost always the airbags....just go through threads, they have an end life..
DevB (01-28-21)