GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sticky dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 12:24 AM
Gold4x4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky dash

I recently bought a 2007 GX 470 and have been enjoying driving it. I noticed that when the weather is warmer that the dash is sticky and gummy. I asked my neighbor who used to own a professional detailing company what I can do to remove whatever someone used to clean the dash. My neighbor said that unfortunately the precious owner used some type of cleaner that results in the dash becoming gummy and sticky when the dash warms up and that he has never found a way to remove what was used to clean the dash. He suggested that I buy a dash pad to covert the dash. Does anyone know of a reputable company that makes a dash cover for the GX 470? Thank you.
Old 04-20-17, 05:52 AM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is also a part of the "Cracked Dash" warranty replacement. The dash can get gummy/sticky or crack. Lexus will replace the dash , but you need to have a dealer look at it and get on the waiting list. It can take up to a year to get a new one. I brought mine in last October for the same issue (it had not cracked) but was very sticky the service writer said this was also a symptom and told me Lexus would do the replacement and put me on the list
The following users liked this post:
chiph9 (04-20-17)
Old 04-20-17, 07:43 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Next month is the last month you can request a replacement. Don't know here in CA you are. But I got on the list at Lexus of Sacramento and received my dash within 2 months.
Old 04-20-17, 12:14 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all great information. I have had my 04 for a year and a half that hasn't had the dash replaced yet. My dash is also a little sticky and fades to a dull gray after only a few days between cleanings. Since it hasn't cracked I haven't thought to take it in to get a new one.
Old 04-20-17, 01:32 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look closely at your dash I bet its cracked along sides when you open your doors where the dash meets the doors. I did not think mine was cracked either until I closely inspected the entire dash and found hairline cracks along sides and a few other areas.
Old 04-20-17, 10:28 PM
Gold4x4
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Thank you all very much for the dash warranty information. I will plan to take the car to the dealer this week to get on the list for it to be replaced. Thank you again.
Old 04-22-17, 06:54 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine goes in Monday for its new dash. It's not cracked, but gets chalky and/or sticky depending on if it's in the sun or not.
Old 04-23-17, 08:24 AM
CINDERELLA
Driver School Candidate

I just got mine replaced. It took a year to get it but they provided a rental at no expense while they were doing it. It took about 4 hours and was so worth it! It was cracked and shiny and seemed to continue to get worse. I'm the second owner so I'm pretty impressed that they honored the warranty for me.
Old 04-14-20, 05:06 PM
wadeduncan
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked Dash

I have an ‘04 GX. Bought it about 2014. It had a couple of long cracks in the dashboard which the Lexus dealer obviously ’filled in’ with some sort of putty. Within a year, the cracks became longer, from door to door, and more numerous. Then a letter came from corporate Lexus which advised of a factory replacement. Soon thereafter I mention this to a Service Rep who said the parts from the factory were backed up more than a year, and he would ‘make a note’ of my issue. Another year or so past with no notification from my dealer. Some time after that, I stopped in to talk with a service rep again and was told there was no record of my prior visit or issue. He said the factory was still months behind but assured me he would ‘put me on the list’ for a dash replacement. Not long afterward, another letter came from Lexus corporate assuring me of a factory replacement, which resulted in a third conversation with a service rep who said he would make sure I was ‘on the list’ and the dealership would notify me when inventory was available. No call nor notification ever came. I finally called Lexus corporate Customer Service, who ‘checked into it’ and found the dealer had never put my name on any ‘list’ nor registered my complaint in any way. Therefore refused to replace my dashboard due to ‘Expiration of the offer’. I’m pissed. Eskridge Lexus is the dealer. I still have both letters and I’m contemplating suing.
Old 04-14-20, 07:02 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by wadeduncan
I have an ‘04 GX. Bought it about 2014. It had a couple of long cracks in the dashboard which the Lexus dealer obviously ’filled in’ with some sort of putty. Within a year, the cracks became longer, from door to door, and more numerous. Then a letter came from corporate Lexus which advised of a factory replacement. Soon thereafter I mention this to a Service Rep who said the parts from the factory were backed up more than a year, and he would ‘make a note’ of my issue. Another year or so past with no notification from my dealer. Some time after that, I stopped in to talk with a service rep again and was told there was no record of my prior visit or issue. He said the factory was still months behind but assured me he would ‘put me on the list’ for a dash replacement. Not long afterward, another letter came from Lexus corporate assuring me of a factory replacement, which resulted in a third conversation with a service rep who said he would make sure I was ‘on the list’ and the dealership would notify me when inventory was available. No call nor notification ever came. I finally called Lexus corporate Customer Service, who ‘checked into it’ and found the dealer had never put my name on any ‘list’ nor registered my complaint in any way. Therefore refused to replace my dashboard due to ‘Expiration of the offer’. I’m pissed. Eskridge Lexus is the dealer. I still have both letters and I’m contemplating suing.
That's super frustrating! The problem with suing though, unless you're representing yourself, which means in most people's cases taking time off work, legal fees paid to a lawyer would be more than just paying to have the stupid dash replaced, parts and labor. It's too minor to be worthwhile, unless you were simply out to prove a point and had money/time to throw at the cause.
Old 04-15-20, 11:51 AM
wadeduncan
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked dash...Lexus declined repair

So, so true.
Old 04-15-20, 05:49 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

About the only thing you can do is talk to the service manager and ask for some goodwill towards the replacement. Explain that you've been a customer for a long time and that you get your regular service done there (show receipts), and you understand that mistakes sometimes happen. And that you'd be glad to book it at a time that is convenient for them (which, given the virus situation, is probably any time...)

Chip H.
Old 03-29-22, 09:26 AM
Luv07RX350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People say this is a common problem, but mine shows no signs of this, having lived in a cool climate until the last few years. Since it now stays in the sun, I may get one of those dash mats as prevention.
The following users liked this post:
umpalumpa (05-17-22)