GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

P1441 VSC Check Engine and Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 01:20 PM
Danieltm6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1441 VSC Check Engine and Loss of Power

Hello all

I have a 2006 GX470 in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. For a month or so, three yellow VSC lights and the check engine light have been coming on while the car is warming up in the morning. When the dash lights come on, there is a huge loss of power with the car, especially at high RPMs. If I remove a battery terminal and reset the cars computer, the dash lights will go off and it will go back to driving normally. Every other day, like clockwork, the dash lights will come back on during warm up. I pull P1441 error code. Another strange occurrence to note in conjunction with this is a noise the car makes, while warming up, that sounds like a Mack truck using its gears to slow down. Always twice, with the error lights coming on after the second.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Old 06-09-17, 06:15 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

The P1441 points towards the secondary air injection system. If you search here, there's a bunch of threads on replacing the pump.

The short version: The part from Lexus is $2000-ish, but if you have a good mechanic or are good at working on cars, you can replace it with an OEM-equivalent from Dorman for only a few hundred dollars.

Chip H.
Old 06-14-17, 07:54 AM
Danieltm6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply Chip. Even with the p1441 my mechanic thinks it could be the catalytic converter or the o2 sensor but given the symptoms and timing it definitely seems to be the secondary injection pump. From all of the research I have done, it seems more common to have a constant high pitch fan scream upon warm up. My car makes a low, almost like a mack track downshifting to brake, noise several times, lasting a second each time, 2-3 times during warm up. Any idea what kind of fail on the secondary air pump this could be?

Dan
Old 06-14-17, 11:10 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

Sorry - my GX is old enough to not have one. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Chip H.
Old 06-24-17, 01:14 PM
Danieltm6
Driver School Candidate

A link to the noise I'm referring to. Happens at 10 and 18 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9bG...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-15-21, 11:33 AM
rmw32605
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issue

I know this is an old thread but I’m having the exact same issue with my 07 gx470. We’re you able to determine the cause?
Old 02-15-21, 11:50 AM
Danieltm6
Driver School Candidate

It was my secondary injection pump failing. The car only utilizes the pump when it is started for the first time in the day or in a while. I could hear the pump making its failed attempts in the morning. The failure would send the car into limp mode but if I reset the car’s computer it would run fine again without the check engine lights until the next morning’s start up. It eventually failed to the point of not setting the limp mode off and has been like that since, but so have the check engine lights. You can get a new pump or a bypass kit. Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 02-15-21, 03:43 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

P2445 - Pump Stuck OFF Bank 1
This code is normally caused by the secondary air injection pump not being able to create proper air pressure because the pump impeller is damaged or the air pump motor has been damaged and/or blown the air pump fuse. If the air pump motor has been damaged, it is common to also see a P0418 code that indicates this. If the air pump fuse has blown, this code will display but you may not see a P0418 code until the fuse is replaced. If you only see the P2445 code during a cold start, the Hewitt-Tech bypass kit can clear it.

*On some 2005-06 vehicles with 4.7L engines, there is a known freezing temperature glitch in the ECM that can occur when driving in near-freezing or below-freezing temperatures. If you start your vehicle in freezing temperatures, and the P2445 code displays as you near 50 mph, a glitch in the ECM is the cause. However, that is not normally how a P2445 code is thrown, and it also does not typically cause limp mode. If you have a Hewitt-Tech bypass kit installed on your vehicle, there is nothing wrong with the kit, it is a program glitch in the ECM. This glitch has been confirmed to happen on vehicles with or without the Hewitt-Tech module installed, as well as on vehicles with no other SAIS problems and even on vehicles that have had the entire secondary air injection system replaced with new.

The only known solution for this cold weather glitch is a re-flash of the computer as outlined in a very specific but no longer available limited service campaign from Toyota. This limited service campaign was specific to code P2445 coming on while driving in the same drive cycle as being started with the engine at a freezing temp. This limited service campaign expired or was intentionally removed from the system when the service bulletin for codes P0418/P2445 came out and directs the service managers and techs to replace the entire system. This would leave one to believe replacing the Air Injection Control driver with the new part number would remedy the problem but it has been proven to not be the case. Replacing the entire system does not resolved the cold weather issue as there is no computer update (re-flash) done under this service bulletin.

We have currently exhausted all ideas and efforts to resolve this freezing temp. issue and are now currently only aware 2 ways to deal with it. The first solution is an active way of preventing the glitch from occurring by using a startup/warmup/shutdown/restart sequence to prevent the freezing temperature glitch from happening. To do this it is first necessary to recognize that the engine temperature is at or below freezing at startup if the engine has been off for 7 hours or more (cold start). If so start the engine and let the engine warm up until at least the engine temperature gauge starts to move (only needs to be above freezing), turn the engine off and restart before driving or needing to drive above 50-55MPH. This will cause the engine start temperature to be freezing and in a second drive cycle which will preventing the glitch from happening when driving at 50MPH or more under the freezing start condition. The vehicle can also be started and then driven for a short while to warm it up as long as vehicle speed does not exceed 50MPH or the engine is shutoff and restarted before exceeding 50MPH. Again, this warmup/shutdown/restart cycle would only need to be performed if the temperature is at or below freezing when the vehicle has been sitting off for 7 hrs. or longer.

The other way of dealing with the issue is just to be prepared for it to happen and clear the code when it does. In many areas temperatures rarely get to freezing or below or at least do not stay there for long. In these cases it is easiest just to clear the P2445 trouble code when this happens by pulling over and using an OBDII tool or disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 5 min. Once cleared the glitch will not occur again until the first drive cycle when the vehicle has been off for 7 hrs. or more and in the first cold start drive cycle you exceed 50MPH. However, this would have to be done every time the glitch occurs to get out of limp mode.

There is still a possibility we may be able to find a solution to this freezing temp problem but currently these are the only 2 ways we know of. If you are experiencing this problem it will stop happening when your startup temperatures are again above freezing. if you have questions about these procedures call us TOLL-FREE at 1-844-307-7671

link