GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Air Suspension showing Symptoms... Thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 07:43 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Air Suspension showing Symptoms... Thoughts??

Hi All,

So my 2008 is showing some symptoms of Air Bags leaking....
When i park it in the morning at work and the height control is N...by the evening it usually bottoms out. When i start the car it raises again and no other issues after up and running...
Same thing when i park it in the night and by the morning its flat.

I am not looking to do conversion as it won't be in my budget with this 150K mileage GX. I want to get the bags replaced and keep it running.

So what rear suspension air bags do you guys recommend i know OEM ones will cost atleast around $200 each... Any one used the after Market airbags? If yes than which ones and where did you buy those.
Old 07-28-17, 03:11 PM
gwebster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 08 as well and replaced with aftermarket "westar" from protier industries on ebay. They are about $80 each. So far, so good but I have only had them installed for about 3 months. I did not want to put a lot of money into new ones in case something else fails on the air suspension and I need to switch to coils.
Old 07-30-17, 12:20 PM
philipf22
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ripped out my air suspension and put in coilovers about 50k ago. Never looked back.
Old 07-31-17, 05:29 AM
javano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
Hi All,

So my 2008 is showing some symptoms of Air Bags leaking....
When i park it in the morning at work and the height control is N...by the evening it usually bottoms out. When i start the car it raises again and no other issues after up and running...
Same thing when i park it in the night and by the morning its flat.

I am not looking to do conversion as it won't be in my budget with this 150K mileage GX. I want to get the bags replaced and keep it running.

So what rear suspension air bags do you guys recommend i know OEM ones will cost atleast around $200 each... Any one used the after Market airbags? If yes than which ones and where did you buy those.
OEM
i just fix my 2004,it was the same problem with yours(so annoying right) until i took it to the dealer to get oil change and i got free complimentary multi point inspection,the found out that my rear passenger side shock is leaking and radiator also leaks,so i take it to local shop for oem radiator and one side rear shock it cost me out the door including oem parts tax and labor $1400 ouch.but again that time is just few days left until my yosemite trip otherwise ill do it myself on my day off 200 plus for radiator and 400 something for shock.anyway it's solve my problem,i was thinking to convert it to springs for last few months but i can't get rid of the convenience airbag(family on board set in comfort or sports mode if u want better car response).so far problem not coming back and my sequoia and yosemite trip on windy road went amazing airbag in second sport click totally amazing
Old 08-04-17, 08:25 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gwebster
I have an 08 as well and replaced with aftermarket "westar" from protier industries on ebay. They are about $80 each. So far, so good but I have only had them installed for about 3 months. I did not want to put a lot of money into new ones in case something else fails on the air suspension and I need to switch to coils.
Seems like I will go this route. I also found that ebay listing and going to put my order soon...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Air-Spr...1WXy~2&vxp=mtr

The same part on Rock Auto is going for 350 each...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wes...r+spring,15005

nuts...

Can you confirm if this the exact part on both places...
Old 08-06-17, 12:06 PM
zaccor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GX just started doing this. Come out to the car in the morning and the car is sitting low. But the indicator doesn't say it's low when I start the car. After a few moments, the car raises itself back up to normal height. I've noticed this after not driving the car for many hours (mostly overnight).

I'm supposed to take it to my guy tomorrow. I guess if he quotes me more than $150 for the pair of rear air bag suspensions I should get the ones from eBay?

And this the problem for sure? Not a sensor or anything smaller? Just wondering.
Old 08-07-17, 07:23 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zaccor
My GX just started doing this. Come out to the car in the morning and the car is sitting low. But the indicator doesn't say it's low when I start the car. After a few moments, the car raises itself back up to normal height. I've noticed this after not driving the car for many hours (mostly overnight).

I'm supposed to take it to my guy tomorrow. I guess if he quotes me more than $150 for the pair of rear air bag suspensions I should get the ones from eBay?

And this the problem for sure? Not a sensor or anything smaller? Just wondering.
I am thinking if the Sensors are bad than car won't lift back up in Normal position...
If the Compressor is bad it won't inflate the bags to Normal.
Sensors are not functioning when the car is turned OFF... So Airbags probably loosing air when parked overnight....

I tied to spray soapy water on bags and lines and i couldn't find any leaks... Plus last night i parked it on inclined surface and no air was lost... But if I am parked on the flat ground it looses air and bottoms out....
Old 08-07-17, 09:30 AM
moakes
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you jinxed me. I started seeing this over the weekend, for the first time ever on my 2003. Is there a good link/explanation on how the whole systems works . . . now that I am keenly interested and looks like I'll have to make some decisions soon?
Old 08-07-17, 04:02 PM
zaccor
Driver

Amazon Amazon

Saw these on Amazon today. Seems like a good deal. A guy in another thread on here from last November said he got these as well and had his repair shop put them in. Messaged him to ask how they're working out.

What does everyone think?
Old 08-08-17, 06:58 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

They Look OK to me. They look similar to Westars that i ordered. Try looking at Ebay and you might get a better price... Mine have been shipped so once i get them i will update.

Also i think most of them are made in China anyways so i will try to get a better price
Old 08-08-17, 07:00 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by moakes
I think you jinxed me. I started seeing this over the weekend, for the first time ever on my 2003. Is there a good link/explanation on how the whole systems works . . . now that I am keenly interested and looks like I'll have to make some decisions soon?
LoL Jinxed.... Its called PARANOIA .....just kidding....
I am seeing a lot of people are having issues with them all of a sudden...
Old 08-08-17, 08:25 AM
zaccor
Driver

How much did you spend on the Westars?
Old 08-08-17, 12:50 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zaccor
How much did you spend on the Westars?
$157.98

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Air-Spr...392?rmvSB=true

I got the last one remaining.. I think Rock auto also has it in stock.
Old 08-08-17, 02:04 PM
zaccor
Driver

Lol they do but not for that price!

My guy is installing the ones I ordered next week. Wasn't too happy to not supply his own pair but his price was way over what I paid. If they work I saved myself almost $329!
Old 08-08-17, 02:26 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

My driver's side is airing out when the truck sits it would appear, time to start researching my options. Considering converting to springs in the rear to completely avoid future repairs, but there's aspects of the factory rear air setup that I'd miss.

Quick Reply: Rear Air Suspension showing Symptoms... Thoughts??