GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

BRAKE pedal humming after I installed new pads.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 08:55 AM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKE pedal humming after I installed new pads.

Hey guys I installed new brake pads for all the tires and although I'm not getting any indicator lights on the dash or Warnings or ABS blinking none whatsoever I am however getting a humming feeling through the brake pedal when you press it but it's not abs do I need to reset the computer to recalibrate or is there an another known issue with the braking system with this vehicle
Old 01-11-18, 08:59 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 740 Likes on 605 Posts

Have another mechanic inspect the work. Could be the rotors need to be turned or replaced, or something else (brake pads installed backwards??).
Brakes are something you don't want problems with.

Chip H.
Old 01-11-18, 09:05 AM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

The rotors are new brake pads are new fluid levels are fine and the breaking process is extremely smooth it's just when you pressing on the brake you start to get a light humming feeling but it's not from the breaks itself it almost feels like a a motor or a pump humming but as I said I'm not saying the Brit ABS brake light kick on when is vibration or humming takes place
Old 01-11-18, 09:28 AM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

I will also note that when I replace the rear brake pads both tires were basically paper-thin on the pad rotors were in fantastic shape and they were not warped is it possible that while installing these brake pads that compressing the Pistons back in properly may have offset a sensor on the thickness of the pads and the computer may need to be reset now?
Old 01-11-18, 09:37 AM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You wouldn't need to reset anything. Does the sound get louder as the brakes get hotter? Can you tell what side of the car it's coming from? My guesses without knowing your answers to these questions would be shims not installed properly or a stuck piston in a caliper.
Old 01-11-18, 09:39 AM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

It's not coming from either side front or rear it doesn't even when it's parked so even when it's parked and I pressing the brake pedal you will hear a vibration or a humming noise just for about 2 seconds or so then it goes away but it also does this when you're driving but other than that the car breaks fine there's no error codes no nothing
Old 01-11-18, 09:49 AM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

I find it a coincidence that this happened exactly after I did the rear brake pads. After everything was buttoned up I pushed on the brake pedal to seat the pads and that's when it started. Stange.... fluid level is a little under max. Wondering??? Booster or master cylinder probs? I have done tones of brakes bit nothing like this has ever happened to me.
Old 01-11-18, 10:18 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

The rear brakes have a pump that pushes fluid to the rear calipers, did you properly bleed the brakes after replacing the components? It could be you've got air trapped in the pump and it's causing the buzzing you're feeling in the pedal.

Fronts are bled like normal, rears you need to have the key in and turned to the run position (engine off), press the pedal and have a helper crack the bleed line on the rear caliper and hold the pedal down until clean fluid is coming out, don't let the reservoir run dry!
Old 01-11-18, 10:22 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 740 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by BSarles
I find it a coincidence that this happened exactly after I did the rear brake pads. After everything was buttoned up I pushed on the brake pedal to seat the pads and that's when it started. Stange.... fluid level is a little under max. Wondering??? Booster or master cylinder probs? I have done tones of brakes bit nothing like this has ever happened to me.
If the fluid level dropped after doing this work - there is/was either air in the system, or you've got a leak.

Chip H.
Old 01-11-18, 10:33 AM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to give this a try and read bleed the back brakes but just curiosity how in the world does air get back up into the second pump if they've never been opened to bring air into the system or is it just the anomaly that happens
Old 01-11-18, 10:34 AM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
If the fluid level dropped after doing this work - there is/was either air in the system, or you've got a leak.

Chip H.
now the fluid level didn't drop it just went up as I compress the Pistons back in
Old 01-11-18, 10:44 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by BSarles
I'm going to give this a try and read bleed the back brakes but just curiosity how in the world does air get back up into the second pump if they've never been opened to bring air into the system or is it just the anomaly that happens
Could have some debris in the pump from pushing the pistons back in/pushing fluid back, who knows. Do a proper flush with fresh fluid and see if there's any change. Only costs $15 and some time.
Old 01-11-18, 01:04 PM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

I just as a follow-up the procedure did work for me although I only had 500 mL of brake fluid I was able to take the brake fluid that was black and got it to a dark yellow semi-transparent and this weekend I will finish out with a flush but during the test drive to brakes were like brand-new I actually had pressure to the rear and the car stops much more assertive Lee I have not seen this but I would advise making a sticky note in the forms for this procedure specifically for these rear brakes
Old 01-11-18, 01:56 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe a frozen Caliper.
Old 01-11-18, 02:04 PM
BSarles
Driver School Candidate

Had one of those in the front and was 79.99 at The Irish auto parts store. My rear brakes were functional but never checked the fluid. The rear brake fluid was black with things floating around in it. I did a 75% flush with my 8yr old doing the pedal work. After I did the flush to both of the rear calipers the brakes were like new. Firm and functional. The buzzing is 90% gone but I believe that 2 seconds is normal and after a complete clean out this weekend it will function as it should.

Quick Reply: BRAKE pedal humming after I installed new pads.