GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Please help identify this grease-fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-18, 10:52 AM
TheDeep
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help identify this grease-fluid leak

Hi Folks. I have a 2007 GX470, 105k miles, no accidents, unmolested engine. I squeezed under the truck today for yearly eyeball-inspection and saw this greyish grease splattered towards the right of the wheel well, on the driver's side. I am not able to raise the truck and can't really figure out what's leaking. The grease/liquid is splattered on the truck's undercarriage components; none of it is dribbling down to the floor, so there's not too much of it. If anyone knows what's leaking or what to check, please do let me know. TIA

Old 07-08-18, 01:02 PM
spacekase
Driver School Candidate

Looks like the grease from your CV boot.
Old 07-08-18, 02:36 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 741 Likes on 606 Posts

Agree. Leaking CV boot.
If the joint is in good shape, the repair would be to put a "fix-a-boot" on there. If not, then you'd have to replace that axle (and you should consider doing the other side at the same time)

Chip H.
Old 07-08-18, 05:01 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 145 Posts

Yup, grease only comes from one place in the front end...
Old 07-08-18, 05:22 PM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I 4th that. Def CV boots leaking. Might want to to check them both and look to replace them
Old 07-09-18, 08:20 AM
TheDeep
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Agree. Leaking CV boot.
If the joint is in good shape, the repair would be to put a "fix-a-boot" on there. If not, then you'd have to replace that axle (and you should consider doing the other side at the same time)

Chip H.
Thanks. The joint appears to be in good shape as there is no noise/clicking/anything when making u-turns. Is this the right kit to buy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-14-Toyot...oAAOSwopRYbrJu

I can't make out if the boots in this kit are "split".
Old 07-09-18, 09:16 AM
deeken
Driver

Originally Posted by TheDeep
Thanks. The joint appears to be in good shape as there is no noise/clicking/anything when making u-turns. Is this the right kit to buy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-14-Toyot...oAAOSwopRYbrJu

I can't make out if the boots in this kit are "split".
Those are the right kits and you DEFINITELY want to buy OEM. The aftermarket CV Boots are made of poor quality rubber and disintegrate rapidly. However, the kits you chose are for a complete inner and outer set for one axle. You might not need both. You can get them individually too. The ones that usually tear/leak are the outer ones.
The following users liked this post:
TheDeep (07-09-18)
Old 07-09-18, 09:54 AM
TheDeep
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deeken
Those are the right kits and you DEFINITELY want to buy OEM. The aftermarket CV Boots are made of poor quality rubber and disintegrate rapidly. However, the kits you chose are for a complete inner and outer set for one axle. You might not need both. You can get them individually too. The ones that usually tear/leak are the outer ones.
Good point. I will browse Ebay to see if I can find just the outer boots. Will want to replace both outer boots.

Help me understand the kit I posted - this kit will require me to take the axle off, right? I can't just cut off the old boots and wrap these ones on, right? If i'm going to do that, might as well replace the axle since the axle isn't too much more money.

I plan to keep the truck a few more years since it runs really well and has no other trouble with it. Wondering what's the prudent approach here...

THANK YOU everyone who posted in this thread; appreciate the help!!
Old 07-10-18, 06:52 AM
deeken
Driver

Originally Posted by TheDeep
Good point. I will browse Ebay to see if I can find just the outer boots. Will want to replace both outer boots.

Help me understand the kit I posted - this kit will require me to take the axle off, right? I can't just cut off the old boots and wrap these ones on, right? If i'm going to do that, might as well replace the axle since the axle isn't too much more money.

I plan to keep the truck a few more years since it runs really well and has no other trouble with it. Wondering what's the prudent approach here...

THANK YOU everyone who posted in this thread; appreciate the help!!
You have to remove the axle off your car and it is a bit of work. I've done them both and can do them in about 1.5 hours each. The hardest part is getting the axle off the truck, but I found it easiest to tie a chain around the inner axle and a large sledge hammer and swing away a few times. It comes right out. There are other ways of doing this.
I do not recommend that you replace the axle unless you are getting another OEM. The aftermarket axles are poorly made and no where near the quality of the OEM.
There are several youtube videos on how to remove and re-boot your axle and tutorials here. Make sure you get a little extra grease just in case.

BTW, I made a mistake when saying which boot is usually the one that rips. It's the INNER ones that are problematic and it looks like yours is leaking by the pictures.

Last edited by deeken; 07-10-18 at 06:57 AM.