GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX470 rear suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 08:01 PM
tzh2231
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GX470 rear suspension questions

Guys I remember seen plenty discussion on how the air suspension system can go bad and give you a bouncy ride, now finally I got my turn

Here is my symptom:
1. When I ride through even a minor bump/hole on the road, rear half of the GX470 will get as happy as a puppy, jumps up and down a few times before settle down.
2. My height control seems to work only one-way to high. When going from N to high, I hear compressor kick in, and both sides actually do rise a couple of inches. However if I then switch from high to N or low, it seems to just blink green and do nothing. I did not wait very long, so not sure whether it is just delay or not working.

Since N->high works, I assume my pump and sensors and air bags are all good? Looks like the issue is the pressure cannot be released or at least not in a timely fashion.
So what is the next step? What is the part that is in charge of release pressure?

Old 11-01-18, 02:25 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

So, the truck is stuck in the H position and the light is blinking while you are driving? If it doesn’t change with the push of the button it also should go back to N at about 13-18 MPH
Old 11-01-18, 05:22 AM
tzh2231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
So, the truck is stuck in the H position and the light is blinking while you are driving? If it doesn’t change with the push of the button it also should go back to N at about 13-18 MPH
yes this did happen, it does drop to n during driving, what I found 'stuck' was after repeat a few cycle between low and high, seems h->l stuck in blinking. it actually successfully lowered at least once, I will retest to make sure.

man this thing is complicated.
Old 11-01-18, 06:04 AM
ALAN553
Racer

the weakest and most vulnerable link in this rear suspension is the air bags...if there is a slow leak and the compressor is running overtime it will confuse the system and you will get symptoms that are sporadic and hard to explain....until the truck just bottoms out and stays there becasue the compressor has blown from overuse.
Old 11-01-18, 07:22 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Bouncing up and down after a bump is an indicator the rear shocks are blown, have a look for leaked oil at the bottoms of them. While you're under there, have a look at where the bumpstops contact the axle tube, if it's riding too low or too soft due to worn out airbags there will be a clear indicator of regular contact at this point, which isn't right.
Old 11-01-18, 07:48 AM
tzh2231
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the suggestion! is there any picture online that I can reference where things are under the butt of this suv? I am a little afriad getting lost under there
Old 11-01-18, 09:10 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

The shocks should be pretty easy to identify, the bump stops I'm referencing are at the ends of the axle just inboard of the brakes, they are big rubber blocks that limit the axle's uptravel.
Old 11-01-18, 11:26 AM
tzh2231
Driver School Candidate

cool thanks! I will climb down there over the weekend to take a peak. without basic self-inspection, I am sure dealer will want me to replace 5 parts eith a $4000 estimate.
Old 11-01-18, 05:27 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

The bump-stops are around $40-45 each. More than you'd expect for blocks of rubber, but so far as rear suspension parts on the GX go .. pretty reasonable.

Agree that you should check for air leaks on the bags. One test you can do is get four adult friends and have them all get into the GX at the same time. Listen for the compressor at the driver's side rear. It should come on for about 20-30 seconds to re-level the vehicle then shut off. Wait about 2-3 minutes to see if it comes on again (it shouldn't). Ask your friends to step out. You should then hear the valve open and release air from the bags to lower the GX back to level, again in about 20 seconds. If you hear the pump cycle on/off, that tells you you have a leak and you don't want to delay getting it fixed - if you burn out the pump a $500 repair goes to $1200+.

Something that wasn't mentioned was the height sensors. They tell the computer when the GX is too high/too low, and to run the pump or open the valve. Since you live in MA, which gets lots of rust, it's common for the arms on the sensors to corrode. If you're ok with cheap Chinese knock-offs, they're in the $50 range. Lexus OEM will be around $350 each.

Chip H.
Old 11-02-18, 06:37 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
The bump-stops are around $40-45 each. More than you'd expect for blocks of rubber, but so far as rear suspension parts on the GX go .. pretty reasonable.

Agree that you should check for air leaks on the bags. One test you can do is get four adult friends and have them all get into the GX at the same time. Listen for the compressor at the driver's side rear. It should come on for about 20-30 seconds to re-level the vehicle then shut off. Wait about 2-3 minutes to see if it comes on again (it shouldn't). Ask your friends to step out. You should then hear the valve open and release air from the bags to lower the GX back to level, again in about 20 seconds. If you hear the pump cycle on/off, that tells you you have a leak and you don't want to delay getting it fixed - if you burn out the pump a $500 repair goes to $1200+.

Something that wasn't mentioned was the height sensors. They tell the computer when the GX is too high/too low, and to run the pump or open the valve. Since you live in MA, which gets lots of rust, it's common for the arms on the sensors to corrode. If you're ok with cheap Chinese knock-offs, they're in the $50 range. Lexus OEM will be around $350 each.

Chip H.
This link is for bump stops made by timbren I used them on my 2004 gx470 I jus bought the rears did not think I needed the fronts

https://www.truckspring.com/helper-s...04&model=GX470
Old 11-04-18, 10:05 AM
btreiber
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem, however when I went to re-calibrate the height control (engine running raise to high wait for the green light to stop blinking the go to low and wait for the light to stop blinking). I did this twice and the light got stuck in high. I could hear the compressor run and I also noticed the rear passenger air bag wasn't raising at first, then it released with bump like noise. This happened a couple of times when going up and on the way down. It seems to be sticking. If I turn off the car then I can move the height control again. After raising the vehicle I can drive it and it rides fine however after a while it get real bouncy again. It will continue to bounce severe until I put the height control to High and then N before I drive. After reading the posts I believe the Air Bags will need to be replaced however I want to see what other say about this. I appreciate any thoughts on this problem.
Old 12-01-18, 07:23 AM
tzh2231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by btreiber
I have the same problem, however when I went to re-calibrate the height control (engine running raise to high wait for the green light to stop blinking the go to low and wait for the light to stop blinking). I did this twice and the light got stuck in high. I could hear the compressor run and I also noticed the rear passenger air bag wasn't raising at first, then it released with bump like noise. This happened a couple of times when going up and on the way down. It seems to be sticking. If I turn off the car then I can move the height control again. After raising the vehicle I can drive it and it rides fine however after a while it get real bouncy again. It will continue to bounce severe until I put the height control to High and then N before I drive. After reading the posts I believe the Air Bags will need to be replaced however I want to see what other say about this. I appreciate any thoughts on this problem.
Hmm sounds exactly like my symptom, but I am a little unsure about the bag needs replacement. It could be the sensor? Anyway this should be resolved by installing the conversion kit.
I am planning to do so when I get some time. My other choice is to trade it in for a new one, still debating.
Old 12-01-18, 02:58 PM
Gfat87
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could easily be a ride height sensor as well, have you tried fiddling with that and changing the height of the sensor?

i got 2 bags and 2 rideheight sensors if anyone is needing to purchase. 100$ plus shipping.
ripped mine out as i put in a lift.

i also have the electronic shock i suppose. haha
Old 05-09-21, 05:07 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

If the bags are bad the pump will continually try to pump.
If the pump is bad, the bags will go flat at some point and not pump up, but you can hear the pump go if it kicks on. Pumps can die.
Height sensor is not likely to go out of adjustment, they can go bad.
If you put height control to H and dont hear the pump, I would look at the pump.

Bad shocks wont affect the ride height, the height is all bags, etc.

Make sure the Air fuse is not blown.
Old 05-10-21, 05:29 AM
ALAN553
Racer

airbags are the weakest link in the rear suspension....if there is a leak and you don't catch it soon enough...the pump will burn out from over use...so when that suspension starts to slouch....look at those vulnerable rubber airbags...shocks don't contol ride height, just ride quality....height sensors can rust out but not usually the most likely cause...