GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Installed WeatherTech visors & AFE intake...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 04:59 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Installed WeatherTech visors & AFE intake...

I installed the “WeatherTech” window shades and the “AFE” intake system.

The visors rock!! They look good and are very sleek.. I can leave my windows cracked and it’s so much cooler. I can also leave them cracked in the rain.... even better. Install took 10 min for all 4... and they are only $99 from the manufacturer vs $117 elsewhere.

The AFE intake sounds quite and normal until about 40% throttle... it then begins to sound like it wants to swallow a small child... lol
feels quicker. I’ll let you know after a few tanks and the novelty wears off if there are any mileage gains.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-82502-magnum-force-stage-2-si-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system

Last edited by MrJason; 06-26-19 at 05:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrJason:
IanB2 (06-26-19), Lextazy (06-26-19)
Old 06-26-19, 06:59 AM
StrmTrpLex
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it wants to swallow a small child hahahahaha thats awesome! AFE is a great system, we sell those all day and I run it on my own lexo but never thought about saying it wants to swallow child lol
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (06-26-19)
Old 06-26-19, 07:14 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StrmTrpLex
Sounds like it wants to swallow a small child hahahahaha thats awesome! AFE is a great system, we sell those all day and I run it on my own lexo but never thought about saying it wants to swallow child lol
It was my first thought. It’s because it’s so quite at idle and easy driving... then just started that loud induction noise at 3k rpm and up.

Im gonna pic up the AFE catback next. And some new exhaust manifolds.
I figure that will sound nice. Lol
Old 06-26-19, 07:48 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I've ordered WellVisors. I hope they are as good as Weathertechs. Some guys had experience with their windows not fully closing after installing Weathertechs. Didn't you have that experience?
Old 06-26-19, 11:32 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextazy
I've ordered WellVisors. I hope they are as good as Weathertechs. Some guys had experience with their windows not fully closing after installing Weathertechs. Didn't you have that experience?
That's a common complaint with any in-channel visor on a vehicle with auto windows. Getting them closed and leaving them overnight seems to stretch things out so that isn't an issue going forward.

I've ordered the Wellvisors as well, they are sitting at the border still though, so it will be a bit before I can get them mounted and report back. I LOVE the monsoon visors that my Land Cruiser came with, they are huge.
Lextazy (06-26-19)
Old 07-09-19, 10:49 AM
hnirvana
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lextazy
I have installed them on my 04 and experienced difficulty closing windows at first. But after a week or two they are fully broken in and now I have no problem closing windows.
Old 07-09-19, 03:50 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Yep... mine acted up for about a week and then they worked fine. If it’s really hot and dry it will still kick in the pinch protection every now and then. But the difference in the cars temperature this summer is unbelievable!! Just leaving them down a hair and it drops the temp tremendously... no worries about rain either. 👍🏻👍🏻
Rygar470 (07-09-19)
Old 07-12-19, 10:28 AM
PDXGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you guys got me sold on the window visors. Anyone wanna upload pics?
Old 07-12-19, 11:18 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

"The AFE intake sounds quite and normal until about 40% throttle... it then begins to sound like it wants to swallow a small child... lol
feels quicker. I’ll let you know after a few tanks and the novelty wears off if there are any mileage gains. "

Your mileage will likely go down, not up. Usually you wind up pushing harder on accelerations. But more importantly, you now have more & quicker airflow, so the ECM will adjust fuel trims to match the amount of air at 14.7:1 ratio. The engine will require the same amount of power to keep you rolling at a fixed speed down the highway, so you will likely see little difference there. During accelerations, more air = more fuel. It should be a bit quicker, but not economical.
Old 07-12-19, 04:50 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by engin_ear
"The AFE intake sounds quite and normal until about 40% throttle... it then begins to sound like it wants to swallow a small child... lol
feels quicker. I’ll let you know after a few tanks and the novelty wears off if there are any mileage gains. "

Your mileage will likely go down, not up. Usually you wind up pushing harder on accelerations. But more importantly, you now have more & quicker airflow, so the ECM will adjust fuel trims to match the amount of air at 14.7:1 ratio. The engine will require the same amount of power to keep you rolling at a fixed speed down the highway, so you will likely see little difference there. During accelerations, more air = more fuel. It should be a bit quicker, but not economical.

Actually the stock tune on vehicles don’t shoot for stoichiometric air/fuel ratios. They run about 12.5 to 1... this is a much safer mixture that creates less heat and prevents you from having pre-ignition and blowing your intake manifold off the car if something were to go wrong. It’s just a much safer mixture and cost effective for manufacturers.

Although you you are correct that most people will negate any gain by smashing the pedal more frequently. I’ve passed that age in my life and the amount of driving I do(60-70k a year).... I’m pretty good at keeping my foot out of the throttle.

So in my situation... more airflow equals less acceleration for the same output. I’ve been through 4 tanks(atleast) since posting this and I’m averaging 19.2 mpg instead of the 18.5 mpg I was stuck at prior to the intake.

I cant wait to see if I can get her over 20 mpg with a full exhaust setup to go along with the intake... that way this thing can breathe.. and hopefully I’ll get closer to that 14.7 to 1 fuel/air ratio.

But thanks for the input.
Old 07-12-19, 06:06 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PDXGX
I think you guys got me sold on the window visors. Anyone wanna upload pics?

Here are are some pics of my “WeatherTech” visors....

The best place to get them is from WeatherTech since the 4 piece set is $97 instead of $117-$135 from other online suppliers... I’d also like to see this other brand of “in track” window visors... I couldn’t find any other “in track” visors besides WeatherTech when I purchased them.

Lextazy (07-15-19)
Old 07-12-19, 08:19 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you noticed any additional wind noise after putting the visors on?
Old 07-12-19, 08:48 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Matsui
Have you noticed any additional wind noise after putting the visors on?

I thought that that was going to be an issue... but no, it’s actually the same and doesn’t have that whistle if I just crack the drivers side window. I also don’t have to compensate with the rear windows to prevent the “flutter” noise that is prone to occur in 4 door vehicles.

After my exhaust and winch im going to install... I’m going to be making some actuators that will open/close the rear “tilt out” windows from a pair of push button switches. I’ve always liked having them open... but hate having to manually close them if it starts raining or I just want to ride with a closed cockpit.

It it doesn’t seem to difficult to do. And since I ran an oversized wire for my amp and sub in the back... I already have a power supply for the servos/actuators.
Lextazy (07-15-19), Rygar470 (07-12-19)
Old 07-13-19, 06:48 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJason
After my exhaust and winch im going to install... I’m going to be making some actuators that will open/close the rear “tilt out” windows from a pair of push button switches. I’ve always liked having them open... but hate having to manually close them if it starts raining or I just want to ride with a closed cockpit.

It it doesn’t seem to difficult to do. And since I ran an oversized wire for my amp and sub in the back... I already have a power supply for the servos/actuators.
Adding power cargo area windows is on my list of things to do as well, if you tackle this one please document the process!
Old 07-13-19, 11:41 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IanB2
Adding power cargo area windows is on my list of things to do as well, if you tackle this one please document the process!

Honestly I’m planning on designing a kit and making a walkthrough video. There are so many vehicles that really need this feature and if I can wrap it up in a cost effective manner... I believe it could be another source of income.

But least case... I’ll just make a walkthrough for the Gx.
IanB2 (07-15-19), Lextazy (07-15-19)

Quick Reply: Installed WeatherTech visors & AFE intake...