GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Installed LED bulbs with built-in load resistors...im still getting hyperflash

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 10:29 AM
VonSchmill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Installed LED bulbs with built-in load resistors...im still getting hyperflash

I recently upgraded my taillights, headlights, and turn signals to LED bulbs (

I knew that if you install LED turn signals bulbs you will get hyper flash. So I fitted these bulbs with a built-in resistor. Seen here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RMGVZPV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RMGVZPV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and for the rear:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8RZRZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8RZRZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well I don't get hyperflash...until I turn off my headlights. If my headlights are on - no hyperflash, headlights off - hyperflash.
Even weirder, when I first drove the truck with the headlights off, I didn't get hyperflash on the driver's side of the car. This eventually changed and not it hyperflashes on both sides.

Very odd. Anyone encounter this? I was thinking of installng a set of resistors but I thought the built in ones should cure this.
Old 07-09-19, 12:57 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

The front turn signals are used as the DRLs which turn off when the headlights are turned on. LEDs turn signals just don't play nice with the GX because of how the the bulbs are controlled. I think the correct way to do this would be to mod the flasher
Old 07-09-19, 03:46 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The only way to do this on the GX is to modify the flasher relay.... like what was already said. The front turn signal/running lights are your issue.
Not to mention the cheaper LED bulbs from amazon don’t always measure out properly. The resistors could have already taken a crap on those bulbs. And remember... resistors equal heat... heat will melt your bulb holder... that’s why I have led’s everywhere but the turn signals.

Its too too bad that we have that 12 pin relay... your better off just getting some good halogens for the turn signals.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (07-09-19)
Old 07-10-19, 07:46 AM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrJason
The only way to do this on the GX is to modify the flasher relay.... like what was already said. The front turn signal/running lights are your issue.
Not to mention the cheaper LED bulbs from amazon don’t always measure out properly. The resistors could have already taken a crap on those bulbs. And remember... resistors equal heat... heat will melt your bulb holder... that’s why I have led’s everywhere but the turn signals.

Its too too bad that we have that 12 pin relay... your better off just getting some good halogens for the turn signals.
I didn't mention heat but resistors get very hot when using LEDs like MrJason said. If those bulbs are meant to be used as turn signals and not be on for a long period of time they will burn out very quickly and could melt your housing as previously stated. In general don't use bulbs with built in resistors unless they are installed somewhere that they won't be on for very long like reverse lights or turn signals when they aren't also used as DRLs
Rygar470 (07-10-19)
Old 07-10-19, 09:33 AM
VonSchmill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by MrJason

Spot on. Thanks for the advice.

I removed the front LED turn signals (but I did retain the rear LED turn signals) last night and replaced the front LED bulbs back to the normal filament 1156 amber bulb. Problem solved, no more hyperflash. Lesson learned.

Also, as mentioned about the heat and prior to me removing the front LED bulbs I ran the hazards and blinkers for less than a minute. When I went to remove the front LED bulbs they were very hot to the point I couldn't touch them. Again lesson learned, and I'm contemplating removing the rear LED turn signals too (on top of the fact they are VERY bright, I don't want to annoy people)

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Rygar470 (07-10-19)
Old 07-10-19, 05:02 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

this is the best option we have....

Sylvania 1156A ST BP SilverStar 27-Watt High Performance Signal Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AMBOMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oUNjDbHFB2F10
Old 03-14-20, 10:35 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 235 Posts

Ok so I'm going to go down this rabbit hole. I cannot stand halogens so I am going to partake in getting everything inside and out replaced with LEDs (except headlights).

My question is someone mentioned to "modify" the relay for the turn indicators. How and what exactly is needed to accomplish this? Or, is there a fuse or a way to turn off/disable DRL entirely so this problem doesn't exist (I assume)? I don't really care for DRL's either to be honest anyway. Otherwise wouldn't installing the resistor somewhere that is open to the air and outside of the housing (engine bay/firewall?) solve the heat issue? I'm also not opposed to entirely moving the turn indicator bulb position somewhere else outside of the headlight housing--like the front bumper perhaps with some flush body panel LED pods. At this point I'm open to all sorts of ideas to accommodate changing over these to LEDs.

Are there any issues with replacing any of the other bulbs to LEDs? I'm still combing through the topics (there's a lot) so let me know if I missed something. Searching for LEDs brings up a crap ton of threads. Haha.
Old 03-16-20, 08:04 AM
captainva
Instructor

To turn off the DRLs you need to use techsteam. There is not fuse or anything that I'm aware of. You can either modify the factory relay with a resistor (filing the wire will not work) or buy a tapturn relay (made for LEDs) and an adapter harness thats adapts the 12pin DRL flasher relay to an 8pin non DRL flasher relay. The harness and the 8pin flasher relay along with turning off the DRLs in tech stream is the best option. If you care to still have a light on you can rewire your fog light so that you can turn them on any time.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/led...flash.1153226/