GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Key Programming help! Dealer says I need a new ECU!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 01:29 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

I've learned that the search function on our forum is not the best. I just use google and would search "club lexus how to program new key for 2003 GX 470" or similar. Or leave out the term "club lexus" or even other models will give you the answers . You're bound to find several helpful sites. Also look at pages 1-6 of the search results. Often, the best answer is not on the first page. I did learn that a new key fob must be "virgin" and never used before. Sometimes ebay has used keys for cheap and are a tempting buy to save money. I'd avoid paying that dealer any money as he thinks he's got you in a corner and is gonna get his money. I believe that when we take our car to a dealer, pay premium rates and fees and it gets damaged while there, they should make it right at minimal cost to you. Best wishes.
Old 05-21-20, 06:22 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 742 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by alikaftw
They are only going to program the valet key I had before they worked on the car, and if I want any additional keys I have to pay for the ecu.
Such a favor they're doing for you. Brick the ECU because their tech didn't know how to program it, charge you (granted: at a discount) for the replacement ECU, and then refuse to program the two keys you bought?

Is there a Toyota/Lexus speciality shop you can get a second opinion from?

Chip H.
Old 05-22-20, 05:50 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

To me it sounds like it is in registration mode. What new keys were tried? If the ecu was reset and only a valet key is added the light will blink until a master is added so you can exit reg mode. I really don't think you need a new ecu.
Old 05-22-20, 09:18 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Let us know how you decided to resolve this issue. We can learn from your experience.
Old 05-25-20, 09:15 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

They are only going to program the valet key I had before they worked on the car, and if I want any additional keys I have to pay for the ecu.
Is there another dealer you could go to and have the new keys programmed? I'd also be escalating to Lexus Corporate, that's BS.
Old 05-28-20, 06:35 AM
YotaMD
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The simple situation is that they failed to perform any service and to the contrary, they ruined your ECU (perhaps because they erased all keys without knowing how to add new keys). They need to resolve that. If they do not want to, your next call should be with Toyota NA. Toyota NA isn't technically their boss, but they will normally force the dealer to do the right thing. You should be getting a working ECU out of this situation without extra payment.

The new ECU should come with 2 new remote keys, AFAIK. It would be very poor service for them to hold those two "free" keys hostage.

Replace your broken key for the LAST TIME. No cutting. No programming. Indestructible Grade 5 Titanium. Made in the USA.

YotaMD Titanium Reinforced Key Shell for Lexus

Bulk discounting Available.
Fits many Lexus models with 3-button remote keys.
Professionally designed, engineered and fabricated in the USA.
The following 3 users liked this post by YotaMD:
chiph9 (05-28-20), IanB2 (05-28-20), swfla (05-28-20)
Old 05-30-20, 08:44 PM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Brought the GX in this morning after they called and told me the ECU came in. It was getting close to their closing time so I gave them a call and they said that they’re having a lot of trouble getting it to work (not starting with the new ECU). They were going to put the old ECU back in but I told them to hold on to the GX until they have it figured out. What could be the issue?
Old 05-31-20, 07:05 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

WOW. It's getting even worse. You made a good choice. They broke it, they should keep it until it's working. I suggest talking with a manager, to be kept in the loop of what there're going to do next. It'd be easy for them to let it sit, put no hours into it (it costs them money to work on it) and give it back a week later, saying they tried. Even if they have to fly in a Lexus master tech, it's their responsibility. I'm sure they didn't intentionally damage the system, but it is their responsibility. Hopefully you have alternative transportation and it gets squared away soon. I wish I had a guess for you but computerized systems can be very complex. Their Techstream system should be giving them clues to the issue. Hang in there.
Old 05-31-20, 03:10 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 742 Likes on 606 Posts

Exactly.

"What did Techstream say the problem was?"

Chip H.
Old 06-10-20, 05:32 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Any new info? I can help if this hasn't been resolved.
Old 06-14-20, 08:38 PM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mauser
Any new info? I can help if this hasn't been resolved.
update:
I just got back from the dealership after they replaced both ecus. I tried to add my new keys using techstream, and it failed because I don’t have a master key- just a valet key. How should I proceed?
Old 06-15-20, 08:08 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I was reading a thread where a locksmith got the serial number to cut a master key but couldn't help with programming. So the owner took the chip from the valet and placed it in the new master. But you may have a key where you can't get the chip out. From all I've read, when ecus are replaced there's no one but dealer to make a new master for you. But contacting every locksmith on your island is your only last chance. I don't believe that corporate can force a dealer to be fair. Some have had luck with posting negative reviews about the dealer, facts only to pressure the dealer, you don't want to be sued. Does your local TV station have a "trouble shooter" reporter who might interview you and the dealership? You could also try taking the dealer to small claims court, crap shoot but relatively cheap.
Old 06-16-20, 08:48 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

update:
I just got back from the dealership after they replaced both ecus. I tried to add my new keys using techstream, and it failed because I don’t have a master key- just a valet key. How should I proceed?
Your dealer sounds like a P.O.S scumbag. For them to change the ecu there has to be a master key. They must have kept it.
You will need to reset your ecu. Since you have Techstream it is fairly easy. You will need to have a master key cut and ready. There is a reset function that will give you a 96 character "seed code", this along with the V.I.N is entered into a calculator that will then give you a passcode. This passcode is entered and in 16 minutes your ecu is ready to have 3 keys added (2 master and 1 valet). If you want to give it a try I am happy to help with the passcode for free just as a big screw you to the dealer you have been working with.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mauser:
angelslex (07-07-20), FrankT (06-16-20), IanB2 (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 12:00 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

update:
I think I'd be proceeding to file a complaint with Lexus Corporate, that's BS.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 01:53 PM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mauser
Your dealer sounds like a P.O.S scumbag. For them to change the ecu there has to be a master key. They must have kept it.
You will need to reset your ecu. Since you have Techstream it is fairly easy. You will need to have a master key cut and ready. There is a reset function that will give you a 96 character "seed code", this along with the V.I.N is entered into a calculator that will then give you a passcode. This passcode is entered and in 16 minutes your ecu is ready to have 3 keys added (2 master and 1 valet). If you want to give it a try I am happy to help with the passcode for free just as a big screw you to the dealer you have been working with.
All I have is the valet key that came with it and a key that the dealership ordered for me. Would the key from the dealership work as a new master?

Quick Reply: Key Programming help! Dealer says I need a new ECU!