GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Key Programming help! Dealer says I need a new ECU!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 06:36 PM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key Programming help! Dealer says I need a new ECU!

I just bought a 2003 GX470, went to the dealer and bought a couple new keys (mine only came with a valet key). They tried to program them and came back saying that it can’t be done and that I need to buy a new ecu to do it. I don’t have the money for that right now but the thing is, while trying to program my new keys they did something to the GX and now the security light won’t stop flashing even with the valet key it came with. They never told me that this was a possible outcome, had I known that I would have never gone ahead with it. What can I do?
Old 05-19-20, 05:51 AM
campfire
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like he screwed up the programming sequence- esp if the security light wasn't flashing before. I have a key programmer and good instructions if you'd like to try dong it yourself. $25 shipped boxermachine at gmail dotcom
Old 05-19-20, 06:26 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

Try contacting a locksmith. Some of them are pretty good at programming cars. Ask them if they specialize in Toyota/Lexus.

Chip H.
Old 05-19-20, 09:48 PM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by campfire
Sounds like he screwed up the programming sequence- esp if the security light wasn't flashing before. I have a key programmer and good instructions if you'd like to try dong it yourself. $25 shipped boxermachine at gmail dotcom
is it a techstream?
Old 05-20-20, 07:25 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by alikaftw
is it a techstream?
You can program keys with a techstream, but if what the dealer says is true and the ecu is fried, it's not something you'll be able to fix yourself easily.

I'd start by getting as many details as possible from the dealer about what the issue is and what the repair entails.
Old 05-20-20, 10:53 AM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
You can program keys with a techstream, but if what the dealer says is true and the ecu is fried, it's not something you'll be able to fix yourself easily.

I'd start by getting as many details as possible from the dealer about what the issue is and what the repair entails.
The way the whole thing went down was strange. I live on an island in Hawaii without a Lexus dealership, just a Toyota one. I went in asking about getting some keys and they said no problem we just have to order them from the neighbor island. They came in a week and I brought the GX in to get them programmed. I waited in the waiting room for three hours and then they told me they couldn’t do it and that I needed a new ecu to get new keys added, and that in the process of trying to add the new keys did something to the ecu that made the security light stay flashing even with my current key inserted and engine started. I asked them to reverse whatever they did and they said it can’t be done, I need a new ecu.
Old 05-20-20, 12:13 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

The way the whole thing went down was strange. I live on an island in Hawaii without a Lexus dealership, just a Toyota one. I went in asking about getting some keys and they said no problem we just have to order them from the neighbor island. They came in a week and I brought the GX in to get them programmed. I waited in the waiting room for three hours and then they told me they couldn’t do it and that I needed a new ecu to get new keys added, and that in the process of trying to add the new keys did something to the ecu that made the security light stay flashing even with my current key inserted and engine started. I asked them to reverse whatever they did and they said it can’t be done, I need a new ecu.
Almost sounds like they tried to erase the saved keys in the ecu (as there is a max number that can be saved) and cleared all keys rather than just the ones you no longer had, but weren't able to get the original key(s) added back in. I'd start by asking the dealership to provide a report on exactly what they did and what went wrong, and take it up with Toyota/Lexus corporate. If they broke something that should be a them problem, not a you problem. On the other hand, it's always possible this had nothing to do with the work they were doing, **** happens. You need more info as a starting point.
The following users liked this post:
angelslex (07-07-20)
Old 05-20-20, 12:55 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

You may find this youtube video helpful or at least educational for your situation.
. youtube is a terrific source of info. Even if this video doesn't solve your issue, you're on the right path to resolution. Please keep us informed to your progress. Best wishes.

Last edited by swfla; 05-20-20 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 02:47 PM
Bovineplan
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Amazon Amazon

I can't verify this will work for you but it worked for me. I had a valet only key but my security light was not flashing when I bought my 04 GX. As far as I know 03-04 is a bit of a pain to add new keys. The instructions were not quite correct for me but I figured it out in less than 30 minutes had two new keys and fobs programmed to my 04 GX.

For $18 plus the cost of keys/fobs it's worth a shot. I had a local key place cut the keys which was $25 per key. They referred me to a local key programmer which quoted $65/fob to finish the programming. I decided to give this a try and it worked.

Some of the reviews say it requires a master key. Others say it doesn't. I don't know the correct answer but I can tell you my aftermarket key worked just fine.

my thread which includes pics of my keys and such.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/931296-new-to-us-2004-gx470.html

Good luck on it.
Old 05-20-20, 08:25 PM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

After a lengthy heated phone call with the manager with home stonewalling me when asking for info or read outs, he said he was willing to give me a new ecu at half price. I didn’t agree with and after talking to the GM he ended up saying that they would give me the ecu at no cost but if I EVER needed keys programmed I would have to pay the full price of the ecu. I think it’s petty and he needed to feel like he “won”. After they put in a new ecu, will I be able to go through one of the DIY routes to add my keys?
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (05-21-20)
Old 05-20-20, 09:01 PM
Bovineplan
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

As far as the new ecu, if you get a new ecu I think it has to be programmed. Meaning when you pick up the vehicle if it isn't programmed it won't start. I assume the dealer would do the initial program during ecu install. Otherwise they would have a vehicle that won't start. Other smarter GX owners maybe can chime in.

For me. I read the ecu horror stories. I bought the device I linked above and it worked for me.
Old 05-21-20, 12:36 AM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

Yes they are going to swap it out, free of charge with the stipulation that if I ever want another key added on, I have to pay the full price of the ecu.
Old 05-21-20, 07:57 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

I've added a new key myself with a pirated techstream and cable setup on my laptop. There's tutorials out there to walk you through the process, but if they are installing the new ECU and programming the 2 keys at that time, you shouldn't ever need to worry about it again if you look after those keys. Even if you break the key case, there are aftermarket key cases you can swap the guts and key shank into with no reprogramming necessary.

Good outcome!
Old 05-21-20, 08:31 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

After a lengthy heated phone call with the manager with home stonewalling me when asking for info or read outs, he said he was willing to give me a new ecu at half price. I didn’t agree with and after talking to the GM he ended up saying that they would give me the ecu at no cost but if I EVER needed keys programmed I would have to pay the full price of the ecu. I think it’s petty and he needed to feel like he “won”. After they put in a new ecu, will I be able to go through one of the DIY routes to add my keys?
Sorry that the dealership was so difficult. Bottom line, get the number of keys made that you need ( I suggest 2 ). Play nice and buy the keys from them if you need keys. Try to forget about the remote need for more keys and any fees that they threaten to charge. put your cell number on your keys in case you lose it. You'll likely never need any more keys. In time you'll feel better about the whole situation. Sounds like a resolution to me. Congrats for being determined.
Old 05-21-20, 10:26 AM
alikaftw
Driver School Candidate

They are only going to program the valet key I had before they worked on the car, and if I want any additional keys I have to pay for the ecu.

Quick Reply: Key Programming help! Dealer says I need a new ECU!