GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus Suspension Changes Official

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 12:10 PM
modelaford
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey Tiggie! I relaize the rear airbags are air but what are the airlines running to each of my rear shocks ( for looks)???? Could it be computer controlled air shocks ? lol. Attitude? I think you have a greater one, why don' t you look under a GX sometime then you will know lol.
Old 09-27-03, 02:00 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

The airlines are running to the air bladders on the rear suspension! What's the confusion???

The shocks are NOT air shocks. They are gas-charged shocks whose VALVE is electronically controlled! Those "tubes" running to your shocks contain electronic components/wires to RELAY your settings (Sport vs. Comfort). It tells the shocks how much to dampen your GX. These shocks do NOT shift air back and forth to the air compressor.

Maybe YOU should learn more about the GX's suspension before calling me out. Geez!

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-27-03 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-27-03, 02:22 PM
modelaford
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

An air line with fittings has eletrical wires in??? Well I just looked again and that is what I have. Do you own one of these or a Toyota??
Old 09-27-03, 02:46 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Well, i would love for you to explain to me how "air shocks" work???

Thanks.
Old 09-29-03, 07:40 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to interject on both of your battle, but I hope the new suspension by the very least helps my rear springs from bottoming out. Based on Tigmd's description is doesn't sound like it.

I just cannot believe a truck like this should bottom out under typical road conditions. It is very is unstable during braking, has a great deal of wind sheer on the highway with low winds, rear hops around turns and seems to get jostled around at any sign of wavering roads.
Old 09-29-03, 07:42 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by looknow12
Sorry to interject on both of your battle, but I hope the new suspension by the very least helps my rear springs from bottoming out. Based on Tigmd's description is doesn't sound like it.

I just cannot believe a truck like this should bottom out under typical road conditions. It is very is unstable during braking, has a great deal of wind sheer on the highway with low winds, rear hops around turns and seems to get jostled around at any sign of wavering roads.
I personally don't think the rear suspension is "tuned" to the front. The front never bottoms out and is possibly reacting to road conditions and behaving such that it is shifting the weight of the vehicle to the back to cause it to hit the spring stops.
Old 09-29-03, 07:45 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by looknow12
I personally don't think the rear suspension is "tuned" to the front. The front never bottoms out and is possibly reacting to road conditions and behaving such that it is shifting the weight of the vehicle to the back to cause it to hit the spring stops.
Tigmd, is it possible that the sway bars can prevent a front to rear or vice versa sway as well as a side to side? No such like right?
Old 09-29-03, 09:39 AM
tigmd99
Racer

As far as bottoming out, it used to be the case with the 3rd gen 4runners. However, in 1999, Toyota changed out the rear springs (stronger) and redesigned rear bumpstop. This greatly decreased the bottoming out sensation.

This is surprising to hear of the GX. The GX has rear air bladders that should improve ride, especially when loaded. The rear shock valving (as are the fronts) is electronically controlled. All these things should help prevent bottoming out. Maybe try to stay on the SPORT side of AVS to help with this bottoming out issue???

The new Kinetic system varies the sway bar's "rigidity/stiffness". If i were to guess, then this new system would decrease body roll and, to a lesser extent, help with brake dive and acceleration squat. I doubt that it would help decrease bottoming out, which has to do more with your springs/air bladders and bumpstop (and to some extent, your shocks).

The front suspension is less likely to bottom out because it is IFS (independent front suspension)...that is, it has low unsprung weight as compared to the HEAVY rear axle (with steel rod linkages). This why new car-based SUVs go with independent suspension all around because of better ride (less unsprung weight) and easier to tune. A solid axle is good for two main purpose: strength/durability (towing and off-roading) and wheel articulation/travel. Solid axle will never be as good as an independent suspension in terms of ride...but, they are tough as hell!

Lexus has managed to do quite well in terms of taming the solid axle...at least in the LX470. I thought the GX had a good ride...until YOU came along and tell me otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-29-03 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-29-03, 09:45 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tigmd99
As far as bottoming out, it used to be the case with the 3rd gen 4runners. However, in 1999, Toyota changed out the rear springs (stronger) and redesigned rear bumpstop. This great decreased the bottoming out sensation.

*** Some Deleted ***

Lexus has managed to do quite well in terms of taming the solid axle...at least in the LX470. I thought the GX had a good ride...until YOU came along and tell me otherwise.

Hope this helps.
The ride can be nice and smooth on certain roads. But on others it is very squirally (spelling?). And it does bottom out in the rear. Perhaps if the Kinetic suspenion can help with squat than it can help with this issue too because I believe the bottoming out effect occurs when the dip or bump in the road is sized and the speed of the vehicle is such where the momentum from the front applies more pressure to the rear causing it to bottom. Maybe this sway bars will restrict this motion a bit.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by looknow12; 09-29-03 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-29-03, 09:46 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Last edited by looknow12; 09-29-03 at 09:47 AM.