GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Member 07 GX470 Blizzard Pearl

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 04:10 PM
glenn2623
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Member 07 GX470 Blizzard Pearl

07 GX 470 with 91k miles, kdsss , $14k. Picked it up 9 days ago after a failed long search for a Sequoia. Odd that I was finding apples to apples comparisons with 4Runeers and GX's were cheaper. I'd give the interior a 7 and exterior an 8. I've owned both a Sequoia and 4Runner. I've been working through a number of issues on the GX:

Seller had the vehicle detailed a week prior to selling it to me. After the 2 hr drive home I discovered the carpet was still damp. I spent three days trying to dry it out. Apparently the young detailer, who was fired, used a water hose inside the GX! Looks to be $2k to have the carper replaced. I got a great tip to use a dehumidifier inside the truck and that pulled 2 quarts of fluid. Another 4-5 days of sun exposure and vacuuming and we've got the moisture out. Going to use an ionization machine to clear mold and anything else that might be lurking. Then will tackle the staining from the over zealous detailer.

Engine light, Trac lights, Skid lights came on after a week, Gas cap issue, The warning lights never cleared after 50 miles and multiple on-off cycles so disconnected the battery and that cleared the lights.

Key fob was crackled so ordered a new one. After switching over the parts the lock-unlock worked worked, functioned well to mechanically unlock the driver door and lowering windows and opening sunroof. It started the truck, however, the key got stuck in the accessory position and could not be removed. Used this forum to figure out how to get the key out. Took the truck to a locksmith and they discovered the aftermarket key fob was a tad too large for the key and would not permit the key to fully insert into the ignition. $220 later have a new key and key fob, a secondary chipped key minus the fob. Back in business.

Steering wheel had a vibration at highway speeds. A wheel balancing fixed that.

Getting an intermittent soft clunk when slowing to a stop. Read the sticky. Will try the lube fix.
Back speaker is blown, I guess. It vibrates and distorts with a minimum of base. Not impressed with the Levinson sound system.
Timing belt, tensioners, water pump etc,, differential/transfer case service needed, Front rotors and pads needed. I can get all this done for about $1k.

So it looks to be about $15.2K total investment to get this 07 GX 470 with 91k miles up to speed. I was off my game on this buy. I do like the look, driving position, the full time 4wd, road manners...sort of look forward to hitting the road. Still unclear if I will keep it or fix her up and move on.
The following 2 users liked this post by glenn2623:
DiNAMiK (06-16-20), RockfordRX (06-21-20)
Old 06-16-20, 12:47 PM
coachstu
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn2623
07 GX 470 with 91k miles, kdsss , $14k. Picked it up 9 days ago after a failed long search for a Sequoia. Odd that I was finding apples to apples comparisons with 4Runeers and GX's were cheaper. I'd give the interior a 7 and exterior an 8. I've owned both a Sequoia and 4Runner. I've been working through a number of issues on the GX:

Seller had the vehicle detailed a week prior to selling it to me. After the 2 hr drive home I discovered the carpet was still damp. I spent three days trying to dry it out. Apparently the young detailer, who was fired, used a water hose inside the GX! Looks to be $2k to have the carper replaced. I got a great tip to use a dehumidifier inside the truck and that pulled 2 quarts of fluid. Another 4-5 days of sun exposure and vacuuming and we've got the moisture out. Going to use an ionization machine to clear mold and anything else that might be lurking. Then will tackle the staining from the over zealous detailer.

Engine light, Trac lights, Skid lights came on after a week, Gas cap issue, The warning lights never cleared after 50 miles and multiple on-off cycles so disconnected the battery and that cleared the lights.

Key fob was crackled so ordered a new one. After switching over the parts the lock-unlock worked worked, functioned well to mechanically unlock the driver door and lowering windows and opening sunroof. It started the truck, however, the key got stuck in the accessory position and could not be removed. Used this forum to figure out how to get the key out. Took the truck to a locksmith and they discovered the aftermarket key fob was a tad too large for the key and would not permit the key to fully insert into the ignition. $220 later have a new key and key fob, a secondary chipped key minus the fob. Back in business.

Steering wheel had a vibration at highway speeds. A wheel balancing fixed that.

Getting an intermittent soft clunk when slowing to a stop. Read the sticky. Will try the lube fix.
Back speaker is blown, I guess. It vibrates and distorts with a minimum of base. Not impressed with the Levinson sound system.
Timing belt, tensioners, water pump etc,, differential/transfer case service needed, Front rotors and pads needed. I can get all this done for about $1k.

So it looks to be about $15.2K total investment to get this 07 GX 470 with 91k miles up to speed. I was off my game on this buy. I do like the look, driving position, the full time 4wd, road manners...sort of look forward to hitting the road. Still unclear if I will keep it or fix her up and move on.
Please don't take offense, but you paid too much. The only reason I point this out if for others that might be looking at buying a GX.
Old 06-16-20, 12:59 PM
glenn2623
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coachstu
Please don't take offense, but you paid too much. The only reason I point this out if for others that might be looking at buying a GX.
No problem. Glad for others to learn from my mistakes. It is puzzling in this market that this was the best deal, from a basic miles/price analysis, in comparing GX's, 4Runners, and Sequoia's. I suppose the GX is not as well known.

Pulled the passenger seat, damp pad underneath, created a number of air pockets and ran the shop vac blowing air up under the carpet for 2 days. Also had it outside in the sun doors open for 2 days.. Believe I got it beat. I've started the carpet clean-up, its starting to come around.
Old 06-16-20, 01:40 PM
DiNAMiK
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Me too!!!

Hey Glenn2623 I just bought an 07 Blizzard Pearl on Friday too. It has over twice as many miles (197k) as the one you picked up but; I got a "Pre Purchase Inspection" done at my local Lexus dealership and it **seems** like it was well maintained from it's appearance and what I was able to gather from it's limited service history. I'm in Oklahoma. I paid $8,000 for it and I'm in LOVE. I've got the first oil change scheduled and the timing belt and water pump kit should be arriving on Saturday.

Reading your post made me realize it could have been much worse so I wanted to reply with my positive experience, and wish you all the best in getting this amazing machine up and running the way that it should! I look forward to reading more about your journey.
The following users liked this post:
glenn2623 (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 01:44 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Sometimes it's NOT about paying too much as it is, about Flavors/Tastes, Location, Amenities, etc..
Old 06-16-20, 03:42 PM
glenn2623
Driver School Candidate

Dinamik, Congrats, Sounds like your taking c/o business showing some love right back. Given my wrestling match with the GX I've been naming it Moby ****. Like that hasn't been said 100x with a white pearl! Got it all buttoned up this evening just in time rescue my wife from locking herself out of her car, first time in 35 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by glenn2623:
RockfordRX (06-21-20), Rygar470 (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 03:44 PM
coachstu
Driver

No problem. Glad for others to learn from my mistakes. It is puzzling in this market that this was the best deal, from a basic miles/price analysis, in comparing GX's, 4Runners, and Sequoia's. I suppose the GX is not as well known.

Pulled the passenger seat, damp pad underneath, created a number of air pockets and ran the shop vac blowing air up under the carpet for 2 days. Also had it outside in the sun doors open for 2 days.. Believe I got it beat. I've started the carpet clean-up, its starting to come around.
Hey, I could be wrong. I bought an 03 recently with 168K miles for $6,800. There were cheaper ones out there, but this just had all service done including timing belt, was spotless inside and out and had a dash replaced 4 years ago. So I felt pretty good about the purchase. Obviously, you got a lot more life left on yours and it is therefore, going to cost you more. I guess I would have haggled more if I were you based on it needing a timing belt. Again though, I don't know what these go for in that year with those low miles so, like I said, I really shouldn't comment on your price. Bottom line, you got a truck that's going to last you at least another 20 years. So it's worth every penny.

I will say to anyone looking at one of these trucks. Do not let high miles (150,000-220,000) scare you off. If you get a good price, get it. These things are a beast.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 04:02 PM
glenn2623
Driver School Candidate

I've always used 10,000 miles = $1,000 when trying to create an apples to apples comparison between two of the same make and model vehicles. So if Vehicle A is 100,000 miles at $10,000 and Vehicle B is 130,000 miles and at $6,000 the latter is a better deal by $1k from that particular starting point. Factor in maintenance updates, appearance, trust for the seller, etc and generally you up the odds in your favor.

It use to be to try and hit a number below 200,00 when adding mileage and price (multiply x10). A vehicle with 120,00 miles at $7,000 hits below the 200k mark, The last few years I've had to bump that mark up to 240,000. I've heard others use similar kinds of calculations but I may be out at the 4th or 5th standard deviation on this methodology. Late model vehicles may require something closer to 300K as the mark.

Last edited by glenn2623; 06-16-20 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 09:08 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

I will say to anyone looking at one of these trucks. Do not let high miles (150,000-220,000) scare you off. If you get a good price, get it. These things are a beast.
^ This. Mine with 169k when bought drove and felt brand new. Only the crappy Toyota interior was and is a letdown. Mechanically these are very solid. I drove several of these almost All had 50-80k less miles and they were far inferior. Regular maintenance is key however the drive train is nearly bulletproof. I drove a 2005 with 255k miles and it was surprisingly good and priced at $7k. Needed new tires and brakes but nothing else.

So the moral of the story is don’t pay attention to mileage, only service records and how it drives, stops and looks underneath.
Old 06-17-20, 09:25 PM
JRT3
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats. The price is a little high but really not too bad, especially with KDSS and very low miles. We bought a 1 owner 2007 with 95k miles earlier this year. So far I've replaced one headlight, (both were Depo's already, funny enough) both fogs, and we just had the 90k done. We also had the drive belt and raditor replaced.
Old 06-18-20, 07:39 AM
coachstu
Driver

I've always used 10,000 miles = $1,000 when trying to create an apples to apples comparison between two of the same make and model vehicles. So if Vehicle A is 100,000 miles at $10,000 and Vehicle B is 130,000 miles and at $6,000 the latter is a better deal by $1k from that particular starting point. Factor in maintenance updates, appearance, trust for the seller, etc and generally you up the odds in your favor.

It use to be to try and hit a number below 200,00 when adding mileage and price (multiply x10). A vehicle with 120,00 miles at $7,000 hits below the 200k mark, The last few years I've had to bump that mark up to 240,000. I've heard others use similar kinds of calculations but I may be out at the 4th or 5th standard deviation on this methodology. Late model vehicles may require something closer to 300K as the mark.
That's a good rule. I do similar, but I use 15,000 as it's the average miles per year so they say. I will say this, a nice clean GX with a good Carfax goes quick. I missed out on several before I was able to get mine. I mean the ones I wanted were listed and sold in one day.
Old 06-19-20, 08:57 AM
glenn2623
Driver School Candidate

Lubricated the drive shaft yesterday. I did not use jack stands or ramps. A couple of take aways. If your on a flat surface and leave the transmission in neutral you can move the truck forward with your foot by pushing on the tire. WIth a flashlight you can watch for the U joint zerk to get in the best position, put in park and get at it. The toughest one was the front drive shaft - transfer case u joint. Need to upgrade to a spring loaded end fitting on the grease gun. The original fitting clamped so hard it was a pain to remove.

Question: I've used kerosene to clean motorcycle and bicycle chains, some were o-ring chains. I wonder if kerosene in a spray bottle would work to clean up the expelled grease from the U joints? Thoughts? I also keep some old electric tooth brushes in the garage for these kind of projects. They do a nice job of getting at the expelled grease.