GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Potential Purchase: 2004 Lexus GX470

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 12:29 PM
BB2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential Purchase: 2004 Lexus GX470

Hey guys,

I was hoping to get everyone’s thoughts on what seems to me to be a fantastic deal. $19,000 for a 2004 Lexus GX470 with only 68,000 miles on it. My favorite color option as well.

I have been on a very long hunt for a lower mileage GX 470 and think I finally found the one. Pics below of the frame. Would love to hear everyone’s valuable opinions!

Thanks Guys!
Old 03-29-21, 02:17 PM
sbaradaran
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While that is really low miles for an 04 GX i wouldn't be too focused on the mileage. If these vehicles are well maintained the mechanicals are in good shape 200k+. I just picked up an '08 for $13750 in CA - it had 209K miles but it was meticulously maintained at a lexus dealership.

Where did this vehicle live its life? It appears there is some surface rust on the undercarriage, but nothing too bad it seems. How is the maintenance history?

If I were you I would save like 7K and find something with double the miles that has been maintained super well. Not very hard to find. But you gotta do what's right for you.
The following users liked this post:
BB2JZ (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 02:32 PM
BB2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbaradaran;[url=tel:11022820
11022820[/url]]While that is really low miles for an 04 GX i wouldn't be too focused on the mileage. If these vehicles are well maintained the mechanicals are in good shape 200k+. I just picked up an '08 for $13750 in CA - it had 209K miles but it was meticulously maintained at a lexus dealership.

Where did this vehicle live its life? It appears there is some surface rust on the undercarriage, but nothing too bad it seems. How is the maintenance history?

If I were you I would save like 7K and find something with double the miles that has been maintained super well. Not very hard to find. But you gotta do what's right for you.
Has regular maintenance and no big problems in the CarFax report. It spent some time in VA, but is mainly a TX vehicle. I was reluctant because of the rust and this has always been my issue when looking for a GX 470. Seems so many are plagued with rust.

I may take your advice or try and see how low they will go without cheating them. Appreciate the response!
Old 03-29-21, 02:52 PM
sbaradaran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BB2JZ
Has regular maintenance and no big problems in the CarFax report. It spent some time in VA, but is mainly a TX vehicle. I was reluctant because of the rust and this has always been my issue when looking for a GX 470. Seems so many are plagued with rust.

I may take your advice or try and see how low they will go without cheating them. Appreciate the response!
Also make sure to have a local mechanic do a ppi inspection of the vehicle if you are serious about buying it. Usually costs around 100 bucks but its well worth it.
Old 03-29-21, 03:21 PM
BB2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbaradaran
Also make sure to have a local mechanic do a ppi inspection of the vehicle if you are serious about buying it. Usually costs around 100 bucks but its well worth it.
Yes I always do PPI’s. Only issue is this GX is out of my State so my usual guys can’t do it sadly. I should probably just be patient and wait for a well taken care of GX to come along in my State.
Old 03-29-21, 03:23 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

From the photos the rust doesn't look bad at all. If it's a TX vehicle, that would be about right for Houston or Corpus Christi (coastal towns). It would not be right for Austin, DFW, Lubbock, etc.

I'm curious about the driver's seat wear. Getting in/out wears down the bolsters. So it's possible that this spent a lot of time making short trips. Or idling in traffic jams (which would also confirm Houston...)

There are age-related repairs that will be showing up by this time. Do you have maintenance records for it? Especially timing belt, which is due for it's second replacement based on age.

Chip H.
BB2JZ (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 03:25 PM
sbaradaran
Driver School Candidate

Timing belt alone will run you ~$1k so I would honestly be looking for a vehicle that has had this work done already. I believe every 90-100K miles.
Old 03-29-21, 03:31 PM
BB2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbaradaran;[url=tel:11022869
11022869[/url]]Timing belt alone will run you ~$1k so I would honestly be looking for a vehicle that has had this work done already. I believe every 90-100K miles.
I work a Performance Parts and Tuning shop so I can do that work myself, but yes I will keep that in mind.
Old 03-29-21, 03:33 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Your in GX460 money , which wont need timing kits done, have larger brakes and newer electronics. Much newer air bags.

So there are all kinds of dependable GX460's that wont need work due to age. So if the 470 has never had a timing belt kit done , its due from age alone. Even an FJ Cruiser is getting close to your budget.

So think this sale through , look at your cost to own every month. If its a cash sale and your good with it , that's cool. If not get your own financing so you don't get railroaded into a high percentage rate.
Old 03-29-21, 05:29 PM
BB2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
From the photos the rust doesn't look bad at all. If it's a TX vehicle, that would be about right for Houston or Corpus Christi (coastal towns). It would not be right for Austin, DFW, Lubbock, etc.

I'm curious about the driver's seat wear. Getting in/out wears down the bolsters. So it's possible that this spent a lot of time making short trips. Or idling in traffic jams (which would also confirm Houston...)

There are age-related repairs that will be showing up by this time. Do you have maintenance records for it? Especially timing belt, which is due for it's second replacement based on age.

Chip H.
The dealer has a CarFax. No Timing belt done that was noted at least. Serpentine belt was done at 60,000 miles.
Old 03-29-21, 05:31 PM
BB2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MDSteamer;[url=[url
tel:11022878]11022878]Your in GX460 money , which wont need timing kits done, have larger brakes and newer electronics. Much newer air bags.

So there are all kinds of dependable GX460's that wont need work due to age. So if the 470 has never had a timing belt kit done , its due from age alone. Even an FJ Cruiser is getting close to your budget.

So think this sale through , look at your cost to own every month. If its a cash sale and your good with it , that's cool. If not get your own financing so you don't get railroaded into a high percentage rate.
Great points. I was more looking at the GX 470 due to what seems to be better reliability vs the GX 460? I plan on making this my long term family vehicle built for very light off roading. Basically soft Overlander. GX 470 was my choice for the third row as well. FJ is too small.

I haven’t looked for a 460 very hard, but they seem be well over $20,000 with around 140,000 miles. Cars for sale in OK seem to so much more then other states.

Last edited by BB2JZ; 03-29-21 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 06:32 PM
maimou
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a 04 gx470 about 6 years ago with 66,900 miles on it for $17,000 Canadian, I think I got a great price but even still I think $19,000 might be on the high side. Also if I had to do it again I would hold out for a 2005 or newer GX with the higher HP and other options that the 05 came with.
Old 03-29-21, 06:46 PM
BB2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maimou;[url=tel:11022994
11022994[/url]]I got a 04 gx470 about 6 years ago with 66,900 miles on it for $17,000 Canadian, I think I got a great price but even still I think $19,000 might be on the high side. Also if I had to do it again I would hold out for a 2005 or newer GX with the higher HP and other options that the 05 came with.
I did not know about the power difference. That’s a pretty big deal. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Seems like I should hold off for a local well taken care of GX high or low mileage. I’ve waited this long so I can deal with waiting longer for just the right GX.
Old 03-30-21, 12:50 PM
Jpilot
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn’t focus as much on price. It looks like you found what you were looking for! Miles are low, which means it sat a lot (in the Texas sun?). But if you do your own maintenance, like the deal, then don’t let others talk you out of it. My 2¥
Old 03-30-21, 01:19 PM
sbaradaran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BB2JZ
I did not know about the power difference. That’s a pretty big deal. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Seems like I should hold off for a local well taken care of GX high or low mileage. I’ve waited this long so I can deal with waiting longer for just the right GX.
Power went from like 235 to 268 thanks to valve timing.
BB2JZ (03-30-21)

Quick Reply: Potential Purchase: 2004 Lexus GX470