GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mysterious ML Tweeter Crackle

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 11:00 PM
gixie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mysterious ML Tweeter Crackle

Hi gang,

I've got an issue with the Mark Levinson system that's beyond just deteriorated surrounds as I've commonly read here and am wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot, it's driving me nuts! Long story short, both my tweeters (topmost speaker on front doors) crackle at high volumes. I have a 2005 GX470 with navigation and Mark Levinson sound system.

My surrounds are cracked on the subwoofer (which I'm going to fix), but I have isolated the annoying high pitch crackle to the tweeters. It only happens in certain parts of songs when the volume gets loud and there's more high frequency sounds? Not a sound guy but it tends to do it consistently for piano songs. I got desperate and even ordered a brand new replacement tweeter (part number 86160-0W600) from the dealership but to my surprise the crackle persists!

At this point, I'm convinced that it's either the headunit, amp, or hopefully just loose wiring/bad ground somewhere. Has anyone had this issue before and can shed some light on what might be wrong?

Thanks
Old 08-22-21, 11:05 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

The amps on ML systems seem to fail internally with time. My R side seems to get "muted" time to time for no reason.
I'd like to replace the whole thing (radio head unit / screen, speakers, amp) at some point.
Old 09-07-21, 05:11 PM
AALexy300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you find a complete system replacement? I have some crackle through the front dash speaker and think it’s the amp.

Originally Posted by gixie
Hi gang,

I've got an issue with the Mark Levinson system that's beyond just deteriorated surrounds as I've commonly read here and am wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot, it's driving me nuts! Long story short, both my tweeters (topmost speaker on front doors) crackle at high volumes. I have a 2005 GX470 with navigation and Mark Levinson sound system.

My surrounds are cracked on the subwoofer (which I'm going to fix), but I have isolated the annoying high pitch crackle to the tweeters. It only happens in certain parts of songs when the volume gets loud and there's more high frequency sounds? Not a sound guy but it tends to do it consistently for piano songs. I got desperate and even ordered a brand new replacement tweeter (part number 86160-0W600) from the dealership but to my surprise the crackle persists!

At this point, I'm convinced that it's either the headunit, amp, or hopefully just loose wiring/bad ground somewhere. Has anyone had this issue before and can shed some light on what might be wrong?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Lexus4321
The amps on ML systems seem to fail internally with time. My R side seems to get "muted" time to time for no reason.
I'd like to replace the whole thing (radio head unit / screen, speakers, amp) at some point.