GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 10:00 PM
Skip
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6500 lb hitches are way different than that. Looks kind of like the hitch on a Chevy Tahoe with the round tube crossbar. When I got my 04, there were other ones at the dealer that did not have hitches. Skip
Old 10-07-03, 07:44 AM
Squiggy
Rookie

Default that ain't the 6500lb hitch

I'm on my second GX 470, and I had the hitch shown in your picture (the 5000lb version) on the first vehicle. And the newer, round-tube 6500lb hitch on the second. They look drastically different. I'll try and post a picture. Like someelse has pointed out, the 6500lb hitch looks just like the Hidden Hitch 03 4Runner product. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if Lexus was buying them from Hidden Hitch, since they both became available at about the same time.
Old 10-30-04, 07:38 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default '04 hitch bracket

Thanks for the photos, Civic. That's exactly how my brand new GX looks underneath. I just received a standard frame-mount hitch from eTrailer, but it does not clear the bracket that holds the wiring plug, so back it goes.

From the day I started shopping for the GX this whole thing has been elusive. The literature says a hitch mount is standard and the salesman and parts people say all new GXs have the tow package....and I STILL can't tow anything. Is somebody at Lexus monitoring these posts?
Old 11-02-04, 04:46 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default GX 470 hitch

After two weeks of trying to buy a Lexus hitch, I discovered the problem. My Lexus dealer says that not all 470 V8s pass the EPA test while under tow. If you order a Lexus hitch, they have to send your VIN to Lexus who determines if your engine meets the EPA standard. If it doesn't, they will not sell you the hitch--period.

I looked around my Toyota dealers' lots. None of the 4Runner V8s have hitches, while all the V6's do. I believe this confirms the above because the 4Runner also uses the 470.

What I am doing is buying the Toyota 4Runner "pintle hitch", which is made for the V6. It's not a true pintle hitch because it has a standard 2-inch receiver rather than a hook. It is not as hefty as the V8 hitch, which is mounted to the frame like the HiddenHitch, but that's OK for my use because of the light loads I'll be towing. The cost is about $200. The part is only the receiver and six bolts. It appears as though it simply replaces the hitch mount which is already bolted to the frame. I'll have to remove the bumper to do this.

I also ordered the Lexus bumper knock-out that has a notch on the bottom to fit the receiver. You'll have to give Lexus your VIN so they can match the color. That's about $65 which brings the total to about $275.

I have decided to go this route instead of a HiddenHitch-type because it mounts about two inches higher--up into the bumper, hence the need for the knock-out.

I hope I've helped.
Old 11-02-04, 06:05 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: GX 470 hitch

Originally posted by bobgore

What I am doing is buying the Toyota 4Runner "pintle hitch", which is made for the V6.
That's very interesting. So anybody with a GX running around with the knockout notch (which I hate) can get a "pintle hitch" from Toyota for a couple of hundred bucks and fill up that notch ??

~ Cap
Old 11-02-04, 06:23 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default GX 470 hitch

As I understand it, yes. As I eyeball it, yes. I should be installing the hitch on Saturday, so I'll let you know and include some photos.

You can purchase a new facia without the notch to replace the one you have.

The hitch in Civic's photos is identical to the one I bought from Toyota except for the safety chain hookup. Civic's has holes for the safety chain drilled into the metal. The one I purchased has a metal loop welded to the bottom and one each side of the hitch. Also, the hitch is minus all those other parts items in Civic's photo. If your GX is like mine, you won't need all that other stuff except for the hitch and ball, but you can buy those at a generic parts store for much less than Lexus charges.

By the way, you can go to www.Cabelas.com and order one of two objects that keep your hitch bar from rattling in the receiver....plus many other hitch items. Just type "hitch" in the search window.
Old 11-02-04, 10:29 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: GX 470 hitch

You can purchase a new facia without the notch to replace the one you have.
I did just that and bought a Curt hitch from U-Haul.

http://www.hitchsource.com/product_i...ducts_id=25951

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-plate4.jpg  

Last edited by Capirato; 11-02-04 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 12:03 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Nice find!

Capriato - For a buck and a quarter, that SURE looks like a better (more economical) way to get a 5000lbs hitch. How did you handle the wiring harness details? Did it come with electrical components or just the hitch itself (The website didn't show that info). If you ordered a different product, can you provide a link to the electricals as well?
Old 11-03-04, 02:30 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Hitch Electrical

Originally posted by bunka
Capriato - How did you handle the wiring harness details? Did it come with electrical components or just the hitch itself?
If your GX has that cut-out, it most likely already has a wiring harness. Following are two ways to approch it.

Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-hitchharness.jpg  
Old 11-03-04, 02:32 PM
Capirato
Racer

# 2
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-gx470-trailplug.jpg  
Old 11-03-04, 03:07 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch

With the Hidden Hitch you remove the electrical connector from the car and remount it on a place provided on the hitch itself.

An excellent place to buy hitches is Etrailer.com. I think I paid $125. Shipping is excellent as is customer service. They have an installation technician who will answer your questions. However, since I'm in the rough once in a while, I am looking to install the Toyota hitch because it mounts about two inches higher thereby giving me more departure ground clearance. If that plan doesn't work, I'll install the Hidden Hitch.

I installed a Hidden Hitch on my RX300. It took about 40 minutes. The GX will take a little longer because of relocating the electrics. If you don't have one, you should buy a torque wrench. You don't want to over or under tighten for this application.
Old 11-03-04, 07:25 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Hitch

I am looking to install the Toyota hitch because it mounts about two inches higher thereby giving me more departure ground clearance. If that plan doesn't work, I'll install the Hidden Hitch.
The aftermarket hitch will be no lower than your exhaust pipe or spare tire.

~ Cap
Old 11-03-04, 09:07 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch clearance

I know, but it will decrease my departure clearance angle. ...at least I think it will.
Old 11-17-04, 07:53 AM
MarcP
Driver

Default Hitch appearance

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but can anyone tell me if there is only one type of port installed Lexus hitch on new GX builds and is it the clean looking, nicely integrated one that CivicFerio posted pics of earlier or if it is the visible, round tube style?

The reason I ask is the ones I've seen with the round tube actually sit below the notch in the bumper and leave a pretty ugly gap between the receiver and the notch in the bumper - like it really wasn't designed for the vehicle - I can't believe this is a factory Lexus part???

Any help would be appreciated as I can't seem to get a straight answer from the local Lexus folks - thanks!

Last edited by MarcP; 11-17-04 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-17-04, 08:47 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch

I hope this helps because I've been wrestling with this hitch thing for a couple of weeks. If you install the aftermarket hitch (Hidden Hitch etc) and have that knockout with the notch for the Lexus hitch, you can order a new knockout without the notch. You have to give the VIN to your Lexus parts man so they can match your paint.

OR....you can get the hitch Toyota makes for the V6 4Runner (their parts book calls it a "pintle hitch") which mounts behind the notch on the "hitch receiver" you already have. Be careful with the Toyota hitch because it does not have the tow capacity of the V8 hitch. Problem with the V8 hitch is that Toyota/Lexus is not installing them because (depending on who you talk to) 1) the V8 does not pass EPA test under tow; or 2) there is a design flaw in the hitch. My Lexus dealer will not install non-Lexus parts, and to have the Toyota hitch installed requires removing the back bumper which, reportedly, takes about an hour. The hitch simply bolts on to that plate (tow hitch receiver) you see under your bumber. The electrical connection is to the left of the plate as you look at it.

In my case, here I sit with a 4X4 that comes standard with (according to Lexus literature and web site) a "Tow-hitch receiver" and no way to tow my trailer. So I'm now looking for an independent shop that will install the Toyota hitch (the GX is basically a 4Runner) on my GX. Before I do this I need to order one of those bumber knockouts with the notch since mine doesn't have one. it's about $65 according to my dealer.

This superb company has done an absolutely lousy job of informing its customers about this issue. It is a shame that most of what I have learned has been on these posts. It appears the same goes for you.

Quick Reply: Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but