GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 A/C High Pressure Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-22, 12:45 PM
Jmerk25
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 A/C High Pressure Switch

1st time poster, here! Hopefully, I can get some help with this...

I need a high-pressure switch for my A/C on an 06 GX470. Switch is located in front of the condenser on the passenger side of the car, next to the high-pressure port. Dealership wants $350 for the line that has the high-pressure port and switch included (allegedly). This switch is like $30 bucks alone, the problem is I'm having a tough time finding it.

I did order one off Aliexpress (crapshoot I know) and I took it to a friend at a dealership I used to work at to replace it and the threaded part is too small. (pics attached, bottom is stock, top is new switch that doesn't fit). Question is, do any of you have a hook up on a Denso or OEM comparable after market switch that will thread in or have you ever used some sort of adapter? Besides being insanely expensive, the line also looks like a pain to replace.

Old 05-26-22, 05:01 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 740 Likes on 605 Posts

I can't find the part listed separately.
Try visiting an auto A/C shop and see if they'll sell you one.

Chip H.
Old 05-27-22, 12:13 PM
Jmerk25
5th Gear

Update: Found this on Amazon, I guess that's what I get for cheating on Amazon...

ttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B09VDDTWC8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Says it's for an LX 470.

Having the system recharged next week and will drop results to see if it works.

Since I didn't outline my issue previous:

Ac would blow cold for about 5 minutes upon starting the vehicle and would stop blowing cool air for both front and back A/C systems. A/C button would flash on console at this point, I switched to an aftermarket Pheonix head unit with same results. No codes and system pressure was fine. Condenser fan would never turn on. Jumped/switched relays, no result. Really only leaves a pressure switch as the wiring is likely not the culprit since the system did operate perfectly for a short time on startup every time.
Old 05-27-22, 07:27 PM
Hunter671
4th Gear

I’m having the same hunt for the switch as you are. my condenser and compressor were just replaced to remedy my hot and cold AC and it definitely helped but i noticed when sitting still it’s getting hotter again and the back doesn’t blow so cold. checked the fan and it never kicks on.
I found so many different opinions on the matter, some saying it’s normal others, saying it should always be on when ac is on especially if front and rear are at max, etc. I will check your amazon link out and may order the same as it looks like they are unavailable unless you buy the entire coolant rail it attaches to from the dealer for $350… the parts guy said they don’t sell those seperate!
please keep me updated if that new switch works for you as i’m in literally the exact same boat!!
Old 05-27-22, 07:35 PM
Jmerk25
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Hunter671
I’m having the same hunt for the switch as you are. my condenser and compressor were just replaced to remedy my hot and cold AC and it definitely helped but i noticed when sitting still it’s getting hotter again and the back doesn’t blow so cold. checked the fan and it never kicks on.
I found so many different opinions on the matter, some saying it’s normal others, saying it should always be on when ac is on especially if front and rear are at max, etc. I will check your amazon link out and may order the same as it looks like they are unavailable unless you buy the entire coolant rail it attaches to from the dealer for $350… the parts guy said they don’t sell those seperate!
please keep me updated if that new switch works for you as i’m in literally the exact same boat!!
Yeah bro, dealers on crack. According to the psi specs on the Amazon listing the switch should be good as I compared it to the label on the old switch. It def threads/plugs in properly and looks the exact same as the old switch. These types of parts are often interchangeable as the manufacturer (denso in this case) makes a ton for different models. I'll let ya know what happens next week when I get the system charged.
Old 05-27-22, 07:42 PM
Hunter671
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jmerk25
Yeah bro, dealers on crack. According to the psi specs on the Amazon listing the switch should be good as I compared it to the label on the old switch. It def threads/plugs in properly and looks the exact same as the old switch. These types of parts are often interchangeable as the manufacturer (denso in this case) makes a ton for different models. I'll let ya know what happens next week when I get the system charged.
Dude seriously, i have been looking for days and saw your original post the other day, came back to see if any updates and saw you post and said screw it- I’m making an account just to comment and follow! I did just look up the part numbers for the denso compressor between LX470 & GX470 and see that they are in fact different, but i’m sure that switch will still thread in and plug up. just makes me wonder if there is any differences in it, perhaps I should check low side and high side pressures for both to see if they are both rated at the same and i’d they are - this may just be exactly what we have been looking for! I may go ahead and order one for the heck of it because I just dropped over $1k for my AC to still not be optimal.
I was told mixed things, but I was informed by facebook group members in one of my posts about this matter that when the front and rear are both at MAX ac, that condenser fan should start up and stay running. I also was informed that when you first start the car the condenser fan should briefly kick on as a test run from the system which I also need to check for.
But then, some conflicting views of others members stated that theirs only turn on when it’s real hot outside or if they are sitting still? whereas some say they have never really seen it run and don’t pay too much attention.
I believe it is supposed to intermittently run when only the front AC is on, but when rear is on it should stay going constantly to ensure cool system for the rear.
This is all speculation but from my understanding it needs to be kicking on and if the fuse is good, relay is good, and the fan motor itself isn’t shot - it HAS to be that switch that so many neglect to consider.
I will be watching this like a hawk to see if that remedies your situation. Worst part is I have to pay a shop to release and recharge the system again just to screw a little sensor in 2 minutes. ugh
Old 05-31-22, 12:43 PM
Jmerk25
5th Gear

Unfortunately, it didnt work. I may just throw relays at it to make sure since that's the overwhelming solution for many.
Old 05-31-22, 12:45 PM
Hunter671
4th Gear

Unfortunately, it didnt work. I may just throw relays at it to make sure since that's the overwhelming solution for many.
Not the right part? or was the original sensor still operating as it should be? I’m gonna end up taking it and dropping it off at the mechanic, i ended up getting my fan to kick on but realized it only ran when the compressor was running - which it barley was and it’s brand new. I’m beginning to think I have a plugged expansion valve, so the dash is most likely coming out
Old 05-31-22, 12:50 PM
Jmerk25
5th Gear

So there was no change in the problem. The fan does kick on but only momentarily and if I turn it off and on it will blow cold for a while and then stop. Leads me to believe the part I got works fine, the old part was probably ok too.
Old 05-31-22, 01:07 PM
Hunter671
4th Gear

So there was no change in the problem. The fan does kick on but only momentarily and if I turn it off and on it will blow cold for a while and then stop. Leads me to believe the part I got works fine, the old part was probably ok too.
Ahh I see. well, I’ll keep you posted. I’ve narrowed down my fan not kicking on as a result of the compressor not staying on. I’m getting very mildly cool air out the vents, and I believe the compressor is kicking off due to a blockage in the line/expansion valve that overpressurizes the system and tells it to shut off
Old 11-09-22, 01:19 PM
AyAyRon
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@Jmerk25 did this ever get resolved?