GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Comparing the GX460 to a 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 03:29 PM
Warnr
2nd gear

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default Comparing the GX460 to a 4Runner

After lurking here for a couple of years, I wanted to contribute and share one person’s opinion when comparing a 5th Gen 4Runner and a new GX460. I also posted this on a 4Runner forum, and I thought there may be value to come at this from the other direction as well. If you're curious as to some of the observed differences between the GX and 4R, read on.....

A few years back I agonized over getting a 4R or a GX. I have owned many Toyotas in the past, including 4Runners Gen 2 through 4, 1st and 2nd Gen Tundras, an FJ, and an LX450. After much consternation, and despite multiple horrific dealer experiences, I finally zeroed in on a 2022 ORP. About a year later, we wound up unexpectedly needing another vehicle, so we picked up a 2023 GX460 Premium. I have around a little over a year on the 4R and about 5 months on the GX. Here are my experiences so far.

Quality/Features: Both have been excellent vehicles, and have outstanding build quality. As a comparison, our recently sold 2008 Tundra was an awesome truck but it clearly didn’t have the tight tolerances and materials quality of either the 4R or GX. While both are great, the GX has slightly nicer paint, fabrics, and materials, and the switchgear inside just feels much more upscale than the 4R. I have the standard sound system on both and the GX setup sounds much better. That being said, I am no audiophile. Advantage: GX

Ride and Handling: The 4R rides a bit softer, yet feels a little sportier and is more fun to drive. It feels smaller and lighter, which it is (about 400 lbs lighter than the GX). When we will be driving into the city, or taking the backroads, we tend to grab the 4R keys. The rear hatch on the 4R is more convenient in tight spots or parallel parking. The GX goes around curves with less body lean thanks to KDSS, and seems quieter on the highway, but is a bit more ponderous than the 4R. The GX is road trip – longer ride machine. I’d tip this slightly towards the 4R.

Powertrain: The GX has the permanent 4WD, which is nice for the wife who doesn’t want to mess with the 4WD selector on the 4R ORP. The V8 is much smoother and refined than the V6, and may have slightly better acceleration by my seat of the pants measurement. Highway passing is much more pleasant in the GX. That being said, I do not mind the V6 at all. It is more tractor like than the V8, but it kinda fits the 4R character. It has plenty of power for the 4R, especially unloaded. That V6 is also the standard engine worldwide for the new Land Cruiser, so Toyota must have confidence in it. Folks complain about the 5sp in the 4R and 6sp transmission in the GX, but for me they both work well and operate very smoothly. The 4.6 is a nice engine, but it feels way less gutsy than the 5.7 in the much heavier 2nd Gen Tundra, while that 5.7 only requires regular gas. I wish that they could put that in a GX! Advantage GX

Mileage: This is highly subjective and varies significantly driver to driver. I do not drive vehicles very hard, and tend to take it easy, but live in a hilly area. Both vehicles are totally stock, and do not carry extra weight if not needed. The 4R and GX are close to a draw on the highway, with I am guessing the lighter and slightly less powerful 4R being offset by the better aerodynamics and extra gear in the heavier GX (both around 19-20 mpg). The 4R does maybe 1-2 MPG better than the GX in the city (16-18 MPG) however. I put the 91 Octane in the GX and 87 in the 4R. You don’t buy either of these vehicles for mileage. Slight advantage 4R, especially considering the octane requirement on the GX (I know this is contentious whether the higher octane is needed, but it is what Lexus specifies).

General Utility: There is significantly more cargo space in the back of the 4R than the GX, mostly (but not completely) due to the 3rd row of the GX taking up space. I find the rear hatch more convenient in the 4R, especially when it rains. The interior is much nicer on the GX, and more sturdy/utilitarian on the 4R. I have not towed with either one of these yet, but the GX can tow 1500 lbs. more than the 4R. Honestly, neither of these vehicles are really set up for serious towing. If it were me, if I were going to tow anything more than 3 or 4K lbs regularly, I’d use a more tow-focused vehicle. The rear seat has a little bit more legroom in the GX. The 3rd row is really small in the GX (or in a similarly equipped 4R) and are best used in a pinch over very short distances. There are vents in the headliner on the GX for the 3rd row, not so for the 4R. Going to the store/loading up with gear we usually choose the 4R. Advantage 4R

Off Road: I have not taken the GX off road yet, so I cannot really compare. The 4R has more ground clearance and the rear locker, while the GX has the full time 4WD which is nice especially in constantly changing/winter weather.

Looks: While I like them both, I wish you could get the Land Cruiser Prado looks on the GX460 (or just give us the Prado with the turbo diesel to boot!). The GX grill takes some getting used to and I’d love to get rid of some of the body cladding and probably the running boards. I think the 4R ORP looks better than the GX, but that is purely personal.

Other: This is pretty subjective, but a stock 4R is more common and attracts less attention (which in my book is good). IMO many people (at least in my area) buy a GX just to have a status symbol Lexus SUV (like a BMW or Mercedes), not to have a legendary super well-built off road vehicle that will last forever. The GX and it’s driver can be perceived as more pretentious. Put another way, the 4R is much more common and “under the radar” than a GX out in the sticks (or at Walmart LOL!). Something that surprised me was that the insurance costs were virtually the same for the year newer and much more expensive GX compared to the 4R. Maybe folks tend to drive the 4R's harder......

Overall: Even though these vehicles share many parts and are built on the same assembly line, they feel like and are completely different vehicles. While both of them are awesome, I do not believe one is “better” than the other. That being said, the GX is simply a Lot More Car than the 4R. It is truly luxurious, and to me it feels like I’m in a cocoon driving it, isolated from the outside world. The 4R looks and feels more sporty, more connected to the road. There was around a $13K cost spread in the GX over the 4R ORP, but here you really do get what you pay for IMO. Historically, the 4R holds its value better than the GX.

Conclusion: They are both kind of the last of their generation (body on frame SUV’s with bigger naturally aspirated engines). If you want luxury and refinement, the GX is hard to beat. If you have young kids, and/or are very active outdoors (hunting/fishing/hiking/camping/etc.), and like to off road, the 4R may be the way to go. The 4R is also a great vehicle that is significantly cheaper than the GX with no huge drawbacks. You can get the 3rd row and the full time 4WD in the 4R Limited, but for the ~$8K difference if you can swing it I’d vote for the GX if you need those options. The GX is NOT a 4Runner with a V8 and more options. They feel completely different driving day to day.

Hope this helps!
The following 9 users liked this post by Warnr:
2low (06-09-23), aredub (03-17-23), gfcipriani (03-20-23), Mchurch52 (03-17-23), RealMenDIY (03-16-23), robert1408 (03-17-23), RoyaleB (05-05-24), Skyking208 (03-24-23), tntcandy (03-17-23) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-16-23, 08:03 PM
preeble
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I just came out of a 2022 4Runner Limited into a 2023 GX with captains chairs. For me, the GX is better all around.

For example, the lack of a power lift gate in the 4R meant that I could not open my hatch all the way in my garage because it would hit the garage door. (To remedy this, I tied a string to the tie down with a large carribeaner on the end, which hooked into the pull strap on the door so the hatch wouldn't open all the way.).

The 4Runner would sometimes hunt its gears on the highway, which was mildly annoying. No such thing on the GX for me.
The quality of the media screen is better on the GX, although both are outdated. The ML stereo is better than the JBL. The OEM cross bars on the GX sit higher than the cross bars on the 4Runner (the 4R crossbars sit so low, they are almost useless).
I like the GX engine better, but the need for premium gas balances the benefit of more power and refinement.
While i love the rear window in the 4runner, the lifting glass in the GX has been surprisingly nice as it quickly opens and closes from the outside.
Lastly, the captains chairs work great for us.

PS - I love the prado and the GX is the closer to the Prado than the 4R.
The following users liked this post:
gfcipriani (03-20-23)
Old 03-17-23, 06:13 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

back in 2014 I cross shopped these two. The 4R had lots more road noise and feel much less refined. that was a major turn off.
MrTorgue (03-17-23)
Old 03-17-23, 10:18 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

We have both a Limited 4Runner and a GX, the GX is newer, but over all other than the Neulux seat material not being as durable as the full leather seats on the 4Runner, we like the GX better too. but I agree with all your assessments, if you had to flip a coin you're not really going wrong with either, they are very similar in many ways.
Old 03-17-23, 05:49 PM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Which one is quieter?
Old 03-17-23, 10:50 PM
Warnr
2nd gear

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JZZFZZ
Which one is quieter?
I haven’t measured, but I think the GX is quieter.
Old 03-17-23, 11:51 PM
Randyman
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Which one is quieter?
With which tires?

GX is quieter than my T4R was - even with a bunch of added deadening to the T4R (KO2's on both). I think this is a given for Lexus vs Toyota in general? Acoustic glass and all...
Old 03-19-23, 08:15 PM
DrRock
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Would the 4R have less maintenance costs because of typically not having to do the valley plate and water pump replacement around 100k?
Old 03-20-23, 05:41 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I don’t think it’s fair to try to compare these vehicles. I own a Gx460 and a 2019 4Runner. My 4 Runner is the limited with full time 4WD and premium interior, a lot of factory stock accessories including power running boards. I really like the power window in the rear gate. These vehicles are not built for comparison.
Carnevino (06-06-23)
Old 03-20-23, 06:02 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Which one is quieter?
GX has thicker glass, and more insulation, it will be quieter.
The following 2 users liked this post by IanB2:
ASE (06-05-23), mbdtex (10-25-23)
Old 03-21-23, 07:43 PM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I own both. The 4-Runner has far more internal storage. The GX clearly has less road noise, better headlights, and three zone air and heating. You can run both easily 100,000 miles with almost no repairs except tires and oil changes. Even 200,000 has few repairs in my experience. I agree that the 4R resale value is better most likely since more people are buying 4-Runners and they are lower cost.
Old 03-21-23, 10:10 PM
jdam
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
GX has thicker glass, and more insulation, it will be quieter.
Not sure if this is standard, but my '22 460 has laminated glass for all three front windows; windshield, driver and front passenger windows. It makes a pretty significant difference.
Old 03-22-23, 08:27 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by meitzler
I own both. The 4-Runner has far more internal storage. The GX clearly has less road noise, better headlights, and three zone air and heating. You can run both easily 100,000 miles with almost no repairs except tires and oil changes. Even 200,000 has few repairs in my experience. I agree that the 4R resale value is better most likely since more people are buying 4-Runners and they are lower cost.
The cargo storage thing has everything to do with whether you have the 3rd row seating or not. Our '15 4R Ltd had the 3rd row seating as well, so the cargo area was pretty well identical between the 2 vehicles. You lose 6-8" of cargo floor height with the 3rd row seating, it's substantial.
Old 03-22-23, 11:20 AM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
The cargo storage thing has everything to do with whether you have the 3rd row seating or not. Our '15 4R Ltd had the 3rd row seating as well, so the cargo area was pretty well identical between the 2 vehicles. You lose 6-8" of cargo floor height with the 3rd row seating, it's substantial.
First thing I did was remove the 3rd row seats for that reason.
IanB2 (03-23-23)
Old 06-05-23, 02:29 PM
Elipscombs
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gx 460 or Toyota 4Runner

Hello all,

We are considering a new GX 460 or Toyota 4Runner for my wife. For anyone who has owned or driven both, how do they compare and what do you recommend for a daily driver for comfort, reliability, and a great ride ? We like the looks of both and want to get an honest opinion.

thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Comparing the GX460 to a 4Runner