GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Idle speed rises every 45 seconds, then drops

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 11:52 PM
GXHutto
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Idle speed rises every 45 seconds, then drops

I cleaned the MAS, the throttle body and waited 100 miles. The RPMs still go from 650 to 900 every 40 seconds for 10 seconds, then drop back down. Has an associated hum from the engine. Happens at stop lights and just idling in park in the driveway. Not a big deal, just might be a symptom of something else. Any ideas?
Old 03-17-23, 07:28 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

A Vacuum Leak after the MAS ... use a water spray bottle filled with water ... and (stream) spray around any junctions while the engine is running ... if there is a vacuum leak, the engine will immediately stumble and stall.
Old 03-17-23, 08:10 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

Try to turn off AC and check behavior

Different engine loads in idle can change rpm
Old 03-17-23, 09:14 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Issue clearly happened after MAF maintenance. What changed ? That is the question that needs to be investigated ... not A/C cycling. Slow and consistent RPM cycling points to a minor vacuum leak downstream from the MAF ...

Last edited by ASE; 03-17-23 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-17-23, 12:16 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
A Vacuum Leak after the MAS ... use a water spray bottle filled with water ... and (stream) spray around any junctions while the engine is running ... if there is a vacuum leak, the engine will immediately stumble and stall.
I was going to say vacuum leak, based on experience with other vehicles, in that case it was the intake manifold gasket. But it could be a lot of things.
Old 03-17-23, 12:38 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Doesn't a vacuum leak that causes erratic idle trigger a CEL?
Old 03-17-23, 01:02 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Issue clearly happened after MAS maintenance. What changed ? That is the question that needs to be investigated ... not A/C cycling. Slow and consistent RPM cycling points to a minor vacuum leak downstream from the MAS ...
Got it, not sure if it was similar issue that lead to the MAF cleaning/maintenance
Old 03-17-23, 01:24 PM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Could also be an air leak downstream of the MAF in the intake path. Basically unmetered air is entering somewhere after the MAF.
Old 03-17-23, 02:42 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ICSFSEDoD
Could also be an air leak downstream of the MAF in the intake path. Basically unmetered air is entering somewhere after the MAF.
My point exactly ... unmetered air entering the system downstream from the MAS sensor ... so the closed-loop system is attempting to reconcile via adjustment to the air-fuel ratio ... hence the "RPM Hunting" ...
Old 03-17-23, 02:49 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigSvensk
I was going to say vacuum leak, based on experience with other vehicles, in that case it was the intake manifold gasket. But it could be a lot of things.
OP stated the MAF Sensor was cleaned. The problem started immediately after this maintenance ... so why would you go outside of that by suggesting anything that in no way related ? Sorry ... but no logic whatsoever ...
Old 03-17-23, 06:52 PM
Randyman
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty sure that OP was an attempted fix for the pre-existing Idle condition (that's how I read it - "Tried cleaning MAF, and Idle still fluctuates").
Old 03-18-23, 09:12 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randyman
Pretty sure that OP was an attempted fix for the pre-existing Idle condition (that's how I read it - "Tried cleaning MAF, and Idle still fluctuates").
"...waited 100 miles and the idle still fluctuates." Based on my understanding he had no problems before the cleaning was performed.
Old 03-18-23, 09:17 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
OP stated the MAF Sensor was cleaned. The problem started immediately after this maintenance ... so why would you go outside of that by suggesting anything that in no way related ? Sorry ... but no logic whatsoever ...
Because you have to remove several things in order to gain access to the MAF and the TB. If you don't put it back right or a gasket is missing you get a vacuum leak. Also if the MAF got contaminated, used the wrong cleaner, bent the TB plate you get all sorts of issues. We cannot guess what happened during the cleaning, the OP needs to go back and re-check everything, if still has issues can try to disconnect the battery, smoke test the system, start throwing parts at it eventually.

Wen quality gas is used and air filter is replaced regularly cleaning the TB or the MAF is completely unnecessary in my opinion. I have vehicle with 170k miles and while visually checked the TB for excessive deposits it was not once cleaned. it has no issues of any kind.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 03-18-23 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 11:34 AM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Have you ever cleaned your MAF? Are you saying there is no possibility of an air intake leak caused by doing the MAF cleaning? Please enlighten me with your "logic", Mr. Spock.
Old 03-18-23, 02:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

FSM and Hunting Idle

The following users liked this post:
NewB2Lexus (03-18-23)

Quick Reply: Idle speed rises every 45 seconds, then drops