GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-23, 08:37 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by M4rk
Agreed. My OE Bridgestones are no longer as harsh as during the first year of ownership. Tires in general can make a significant difference. My GX still rides more comfortably on winter tires.

Hang on, isn't this why the lube tech was hooking up a vacuum pump to my tires? This has to be one of the biggest shams of the industry. Sad that folks will fork over $100+ for this "addon" - not calling out the OP.
Buy hey ... those green valve caps are "stylin" ...

Race cars use 100% Nitrogen given it maintains stable pressure (limited expansion) over a wide range of operating temperatures. So marketers represented as a consumer benefit ... a complete joke ... and Costco has Nitrogen available ... but not 100% Nitrogen from "scuba tanks" ... it's from a CO2 converter that's not even close to providing 100% Nitrogen.

Last edited by ASE; 07-17-23 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nyctfl (07-23-23)
Old 07-17-23, 10:19 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

It rides firmer than the last generation GX that I owned. Every Lexus has gone firmer.
It being "body of frame" though is not the problem, ride in something like a Tahoe/Denali that has a similar design. WAY smoother ride.

It's still a serene ride (way better than a 4Runner for example) but I would argue Lexus made a mistake trying to chase companies like BMW to be "sporty". People want smooth luxury with a Lexus.

Last edited by BradTank; 07-17-23 at 10:51 AM.
chris1973s (07-19-23)
Old 07-17-23, 05:14 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Too much unsprung weight. The 18in wheels are like 32lbs each. The tires are like 39lbs each. I plan on switching to the TRD Pros and lighter Primacy LTX tires. Saves around 15lbs per corner and a thicker sidewall to boot.
brutus27 (07-17-23)
Old 07-17-23, 08:23 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 253 Likes on 94 Posts

For those drawing comparisons to the Tahoe and Yukon, remember that the GM SUVs all use independent rear suspension vs the GX which is solid rear axle, and many of them also have air suspension. The only GX with air suspension, for better or worse, is the Luxury model.

One will ride smoother, the other will go for 200k miles with no maintenance aside from new shocks if you so desire.
brutus27 (07-18-23)
Old 07-18-23, 07:37 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by geckornr
For those drawing comparisons to the Tahoe and Yukon, remember that the GM SUVs all use independent rear suspension vs the GX which is solid rear axle, and many of them also have air suspension. The only GX with air suspension, for better or worse, is the Luxury model.

One will ride smoother, the other will go for 200k miles with no maintenance aside from new shocks if you so desire.

I have to stop you there though, my last GX had major suspension replacement beyond the air springs at around 130k miles. Struts/shocks (front and rear) ball joints, tie rods, sway links etc. And the air springs failed, but it was honestly not that big of a deal.

It's only the most recent Tahoe/Yukon (2021+) that have an independent rear suspension. No question Lexus makes a better product than GM, but they could have had their cake and eat it too by simply dialing back the suspension firmness, even with a conventional suspension system. Even the steel spring Tahoe's simply have a smoother ride than this generation GX.

Lexus got it in their head that their cars are "boring" so they decided to try and make everything more "European" in terms of handling. And then had overkill on some of the styling.

I don't think many people are going to think the GX has a "harsh" ride, but it was a step down from the last generation.
Old 07-18-23, 09:11 AM
ASE
Pole Position

To be clear ... the Lexus GX460 (Luxury) does not have "Air Suspension" ... it simply has air bags (as springs) in the rear for load leveling ... providing spring rate adjustability to compensate for rear end sag. The front suspension is ... and has always used springs on all trim levels.
pacnwatx (07-30-23)
Old 07-18-23, 10:04 AM
detrouge
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks need greater dampening ability like all lexus models
Old 07-18-23, 10:42 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I have to stop you there though, my last GX had major suspension replacement beyond the air springs at around 130k miles. Struts/shocks (front and rear) ball joints, tie rods, sway links etc. And the air springs failed, but it was honestly not that big of a deal.
How the hell does that happen? I'm at almost 176k and all my steering and suspension components are flawless. Are you the original owner? If not, the previous owner drove the **** out of it.
Old 07-18-23, 03:34 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
How the hell does that happen? I'm at almost 176k and all my steering and suspension components are flawless. Are you the original owner? If not, the previous owner drove the **** out of it.
A lot of that is pretty normal wear and tear in my opinion. It's not like all of these parts were destroyed and made the car dangerous, but you'd be amazed how sloppy things can get and you don't even realize it.

Unless it's just smooth highway miles, the concept of not needing anything suspension related addressed before 200k miles just doesn't seem realistic imo. You often times dont realize how bad it's gotten, like when you replace things like the sway links or tie rods, the car feels so much sharper.
Old 07-18-23, 04:50 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
A lot of that is pretty normal wear and tear in my opinion. It's not like all of these parts were destroyed and made the car dangerous, but you'd be amazed how sloppy things can get and you don't even realize it.

Unless it's just smooth highway miles, the concept of not needing anything suspension related addressed before 200k miles just doesn't seem realistic imo. You often times dont realize how bad it's gotten, like when you replace things like the sway links or tie rods, the car feels so much sharper.
^^ Agree ... specifically the OEM Shocks that get progressively sloppy from 85,000 miles. Change them out and immediately question why you lived with the original ones for so long. Have done Upper and Lower Control Arms in the 100,000 mile range ... the rubber bushings do deteriorate and get sloppy based on environmental conditions as much as from wear-and-tear.

Last edited by ASE; 07-18-23 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-19-23, 01:10 AM
chris1973s
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, that makes sense. Yet, my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee seems to be absorbing them much better. I'll see how I t feels after 5k miles with the tires broken in a bit more.
Old 07-19-23, 04:36 PM
vhercules
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
^^ Agree ... specifically the OEM Shocks that get progressively sloppy from 85,000 miles. Change them out and immediately question why you lived with the original ones for so long. Have done Upper and Lower Control Arms in the 100,000 mile range ... the rubber bushings do deteriorate and get sloppy based on environmental conditions as much as from wear-and-tear.
Curious what shocks did you change to ? have had my 2013 for 3 months now and the ride is pretty decent for a big bof SUV.
Any suggestions for aftermarket shocks for good ride ?
Old 07-19-23, 05:26 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vhercules
Curious what shocks did you change to ? have had my 2013 for 3 months now and the ride is pretty decent for a big bof SUV.
Any suggestions for aftermarket shocks for good ride ?
Bilstein 4600's ... or 5100's if you want to slightly lift the front to level the stance. Better comfort than OEM shocks with significantly improved handling. Have installed on every GX and 4-Runner owned ... and an FJ Cruiser.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
brutus27 (07-19-23), vhercules (07-20-23)
Old 07-20-23, 06:26 PM
LexusLSs
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Too much unsprung weight. The 18in wheels are like 32lbs each. The tires are like 39lbs each. I plan on switching to the TRD Pros and lighter Primacy LTX tires. Saves around 15lbs per corner and a thicker sidewall to boot.
we have a 2022 gx 460 premium plus. We recently replaced the stock 19" wheels and tires with 17" TRD pro wheels + Michelin Defender LTX tires. Ride is noticeably smoother, less jittery when going over road imperfections. Overall, we are happy with the results.
Old 07-20-23, 06:42 PM
brutus27
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSs
we have a 2022 gx 460 premium plus. We recently replaced the stock 19" wheels and tires with 17" TRD pro wheels + Michelin Defender LTX tires. Ride is noticeably smoother, less jittery when going over road imperfections. Overall, we are happy with the results.
Pictures please?

Quick Reply: GX ride