GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lets Be Serious ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23 | 11:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

To be fair, the GX can get choppy and harsh over long stretches of bad roads. That said, it absorbs it much better than a sedan would since you will be doing some of the absorption with your butt and back. We cant dismiss it when an owner has a complaint and simply brush it off as "that's the way it is, what did you expect" for an offroader kind of thing. If the GX is so offroad focused, please explain the 18inch/19in tires and the terrible approach and departure angles from the factory. I love my GX, occasional harsh ride and all, especially when the gas tank gets low, yes it makes a difference. However, I'm not just going to gloss over it. I plan on getting TRD rims and lighter tires like the Primacy LTX that will provide about 15lbs of unsprung weight savings and a thicker sidewall.
Old 07-21-23 | 02:59 PM
omegafiler
8th Gear

I've found the GX 460 Premium suspension far better than some more expensive vehicles, but it couldn't always use some refinement. It's an old platform, and it feels like it.

Although I primarily chose the GX due to the build quality and materials. Which is something that Lexus doesn't seem to get enough credit for. Most folks talk about reliability and durability, which are certainly great attributes. But I've had $100k vehicles from BMW and Mercedes that sounded like everything was made out of recycled plastic water bottles. The amount of creaks, pops, and rattles was absolutely ridiculous. Audi wasn't bad, but still not acceptable for the price point.

Those "Luxury" vehicles have no business sounding like a $20k used Kia. Even domestic manufacturers like GM and Stellantis are just as much at fault with their higher-end trims, as they use lots of cheap plastics that look nice but do nothing but make noises.

I suppose everybody has their own definition of what makes a Luxury vehicle, "Luxury." Sometimes it's tech, features, or even just an expensive price tag. Regardless, as long as Lexus can make quality vehicles with good materials that don't make noises, I'll keep buying them. And if they're also reliable, even better!
The following 4 users liked this post by omegafiler:
darkoozy (07-22-23), Mchurch52 (07-21-23), ScaldedDog (07-21-23), sirtiger (07-23-23)
Old 07-22-23 | 09:07 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

When I read someone complaining about the ride, I usually assume they don't have the air suspension. I think it makes a huge difference in how the 460 rides. I LIKE the "old" BOF waffling/lumbering feel. I did the Euro sport sedan, low profile Pirelli erasers-for-tires, "feel the road" thing when I was younger, and I had a Jeep Wrangler before they became cramped 4-door SUVs. But I also had a number of old land-yacht Cadillacs. When I buy tires again - probably next year - I'm going to look for 4 big-*** marshmallows to roll around on. And if anyone has experience with a tire they think is as isolating and mushy as possible, I'd love to hear your recommendation. (...hope this doesn't mean I have to turn in my ClubLexus 2nd Gen GX badge).
Old 07-22-23 | 10:14 PM
ASE
Pole Position

^^ ... the GX460 does not have "Air Suspension"
Old 07-22-23 | 10:15 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Old 07-23-23 | 10:32 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blackangus
When I read someone complaining about the ride, I usually assume they don't have the air suspension. I think it makes a huge difference in how the 460 rides. I LIKE the "old" BOF waffling/lumbering feel. I did the Euro sport sedan, low profile Pirelli erasers-for-tires, "feel the road" thing when I was younger, and I had a Jeep Wrangler before they became cramped 4-door SUVs. But I also had a number of old land-yacht Cadillacs. When I buy tires again - probably next year - I'm going to look for 4 big-*** marshmallows to roll around on. And if anyone has experience with a tire they think is as isolating and mushy as possible, I'd love to hear your recommendation. (...hope this doesn't mean I have to turn in my ClubLexus 2nd Gen GX badge).
To compete with the Michelin Man ... Stay-Puft makes a Marshmallow Man Tire that runs at a recommended 2 psi ... with the secondary benefit that after a catastrophic emergency maneuver ... they can be eaten while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

Last edited by ASE; 07-23-23 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-23-23 | 03:41 PM
MikeP1
Rookie

I’ve (we’ve all) discovered there are few options to replace the Dunlops on the 19” wheel. I’m about to buy the Michelins but really would like to get 4-5k miles on the odo before doing that.

the ride? We’ve had >10 4Runners and a ‘19 GX460. We love the ride.
Old 07-24-23 | 07:16 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
To compete with the Michelin Man ... Stay-Puft makes a Marshmallow Man Tire that runs at a recommended 2 psi ... with the secondary benefit that after a catastrophic emergency maneuver ... they can be eaten while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.
Cracked me up.
Old 07-24-23 | 08:16 PM
MikeP1
Rookie

I like intelligent humor. Not not super pleased that I’m having Michelin Defender LTX installed on my 19” wheels tomorrow and taking the Dunlops off before we reach 1500 miles. That ain’t humorous.

My kids don’t have kids yet so no quadruplets to make tire swings for. Trash heap.

We like the ride/suspension though. We sold a ‘19 to get the ‘23.
Old 07-25-23 | 06:14 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MikeP1
I like intelligent humor. Not not super pleased that I’m having Michelin Defender LTX installed on my 19” wheels tomorrow and taking the Dunlops off before we reach 1500 miles. That ain’t humorous.

My kids don’t have kids yet so no quadruplets to make tire swings for. Trash heap.

We like the ride/suspension though. We sold a ‘19 to get the ‘23.
What about the Dunlops made you want to spend money to replace them so soon? I've got just shy of 15K on mine since November, also on the 19's, and they've been fine. Reasonably quiet, good in the rain, they seem to be wearing decent, and the ride is fine, even on multiple 2000 mile trips. I do run them at about 38psi, as I found 32 to be way low. I like Michelin tires, too, but I don't understand the widespread hate for the Dunlops I see here.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
gfcipriani (07-25-23)
Old 07-25-23 | 07:13 AM
MikeP1
Rookie

I can speak from our own experience only.
  • even at 35psi, the ride is mushy. Higher psi makes them intolerably loud and hard.
  • wet handling at highway speeds isn’t good at all
  • We’ve got a recent comparison to the ‘19 though it had 18” wheels with new(er) Bridgestone Alenza Ultras. MUCH better handling in all respects, even if appearing “heavier handling.” More grippy.
ASE (07-25-23)
Old 07-25-23 | 07:22 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

I can speak from our own experience only.
  • even at 35psi, the ride is mushy. Higher psi makes them intolerably loud and hard.
  • wet handling at highway speeds isn’t good at all
  • We’ve got a recent comparison to the ‘19 though it had 18” wheels with new(er) Bridgestone Alenza Ultras. MUCH better handling in all respects, even if appearing “heavier handling.” More grippy.
Thanks. It's interesting that our experiences are so different. It's great that we have choices.

Mark
Old 07-25-23 | 08:07 AM
MikeP1
Rookie

Agree. I’ve always found it interesting to read a review somewhere and recognize that my opinion is 180° away.

Toyota uses this Dunlop tire on many of their new vehicles. Customer first impressions - smooth ride, good gas mileage. (No one test drives at 75mph in a rainstorm)
Old 07-25-23 | 09:26 AM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Agree. I’ve always found it interesting to read a review somewhere and recognize that my opinion is 180° away.

Toyota uses this Dunlop tire on many of their new vehicles. Customer first impressions - smooth ride, good gas mileage. (No one test drives at 75mph in a rainstorm)
The Dunlops on at the time new 2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime we're abominable. Loud, poor grip and not all that efficient. Hated them.
ASE (07-25-23)
Old 07-25-23 | 01:34 PM
ASE
Pole Position

In 1999 Dunlop was acquired by Sumitomo ... that before was a premium British owned brand that was on the competing edge. Since this acquisition, Dunlop automotive tires have become bottom-end in terms of performance. The Dunlop exception ... their Motorcycle Tires that are exceptional due to their MotoGP involvement.
The following 4 users liked this post by ASE:
blackangus (08-07-23), gfcipriani (07-25-23), IanG (07-25-23), MrTorgue (07-25-23)

Quick Reply: Lets Be Serious ...