GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 GX water from moonroof during car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 06:55 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I did go and run water over the moonroof and water did come past the seal, however, the little tray that runs along the back of the moonroof that raises and lowers with the moonroof appears to be there to direct water to the front or back drains…is that correct?

If I understand then there’s always a little water that gets past the seal, however, that little tray is meant to direct that water to the drains. The only issue is if there’s too much water to drain or the drains get plugged?

I’m thinking it was just the pressure that pushed a single drop of water far enough that it missed that little drip tray thing?

Looking from the driver’s side over the rear of the moonroof with the rear of the moonroof raised:

Looking from the driver’s side seat towards the moonroof drivers side rear:

Looking from the center console towards the back of the moonroof with it closed;

The following users liked this post:
mbdtex (12-07-23)
Old 07-27-23, 09:32 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

You are probably right about too much water pressure, but I would still have your dealer check it out with your next visit. They will check to make sure all drain holes are not clogged.
mbdtex (12-07-23)
Old 07-27-23, 02:31 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
You are probably right about too much water pressure, but I would still have your dealer check it out with your next visit. They will check to make sure all drain holes are not clogged.
Yeah I'll be sure to mention it when I go in November.
Old 07-27-23, 03:27 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
Yeah I'll be sure to mention it when I go in November.
Just takes a few minutes to check the drain

MrTorgue (07-29-23)
Old 07-27-23, 04:45 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GXWes;[url=tel:11549199
11549199[/url]]Just takes a few minutes to check the drain

How to Unclog or Clean a Sunroof Drain - YouTube
Thanks for the video!

I’ll definitely check the wife’s RAV4 as well as it’s 3 years old now.

It’s 100F right now though so maybe this weekend.

I think I was just more shocked that the seals in moonroofs aren’t water tight as I didn’t know that. I’ve never had a moonroof until the RAV4 as I just don’t care for them but that’s wasn’t an option for the GX.

mbdtex (12-07-23)
Old 07-28-23, 07:15 AM
tiadesiree
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2022 leaked the first time I washed it and hasn’t leaked since. Took it to the dealership right after it happened and they couldn’t find anything wrong.

Last edited by tiadesiree; 07-29-23 at 05:18 AM.
mbdtex (12-07-23)
Old 07-28-23, 07:33 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tiadesiree
My 2023 leaked the first time I washed it and hasn’t leaked since. Took it to the dealership right after it happened and they couldn’t find anything wrong.
Thanks for the data point!
The following 2 users liked this post by jlficken:
mbdtex (12-07-23), tiadesiree (07-28-23)
Old 08-09-23, 08:55 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

I took the GX to the dealership yesterday, however, they ran it through their carwash as well as ran a hose on it and saw nothing.

Today I drove to work and it rained for 5ish minutes at a medium intensity while it was parked out in the parking lot and sure enough there were drips forming and dropping off into that drip tray at the back of the moonroof.

I sent a few pictures to the dealership and am waiting to hear back from them.

Should I really expect there to be drips coming in past the seal with the vehicle just sitting outside in a brisk rain?

mbdtex (12-07-23)
Old 08-09-23, 09:55 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

No, you shouldn't. I've had sunroofs since the '80s, and none have leaked. Make 'em fix it.

Mark
The following 4 users liked this post by ScaldedDog:
brutus27 (12-10-23), jlficken (08-09-23), mbdtex (12-07-23), tiadesiree (08-11-23)
Old 08-09-23, 10:35 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScaldedDog;[url=tel:11556508
11556508[/url]]No, you shouldn't. I've had sunroofs since the '80s, and none have leaked. Make 'em fix it.

Mark
Thanks for the feedback!

I can’t say I’m thrilled about the possibility of it leaking like that being considered “normal” and will have to debate what I want to do with the vehicle if that’s the case and there’s nothing that can be done about it.

Hopefully I hear back from the dealership soon. It kind of sucks having to drive 85 miles to the dealership but it could be worse.
mbdtex (12-07-23)
Old 08-09-23, 12:29 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd ask to put your ride thru their car wash with you and a tech present to inspect!

I don't trust the dealerships at all ! They either didn't actually check it ( no surprise, have caught their lies many times, Lexus dealership included ) or their car wash has very low pressure!

If you still don't get anywhere, try a different dealer ( if feasible )
Old 08-09-23, 12:32 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by m5rahul
I'd ask to put your ride thru their car wash with you and a tech present to inspect!

I don't trust the dealerships at all ! They either didn't actually check it ( no surprise, have caught their lies many times, Lexus dealership included ) or their car wash has very low pressure!

If you still don't get anywhere, try a different dealer ( if feasible )
Yeah I'm not sure what to do at the moment but I like your suggestion of riding through the carwash with them. The next closest dealership (where I bought it from) is 150 miles away but they are owned by the same people. The next option is 250 miles away in Kansas City.
Old 08-09-23, 04:28 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Your pictures make me think that the rubber gasket/seal is not installed correctly or its defective. It will be covered by warranty. Your GX is too new for the drain holes to be plugged. Usually when your drain line is plugged you will get water under your front floor mats (carpet). This issue will not get better with time, only worse. Good luck and hopefully they will give you a loaner while they fix your GX.
Old 08-09-23, 05:06 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
Your pictures make me think that the rubber gasket/seal is not installed correctly or its defective. It will be covered by warranty. Your GX is too new for the drain holes to be plugged. Usually when your drain line is plugged you will get water under your front floor mats (carpet). This issue will not get better with time, only worse. Good luck and hopefully they will give you a loaner while they fix your GX.
I appreciate the confirmation and am hoping they'll take care of it. I didn't hear back from them today but hopefully will tomorrow. I guess if I have to I'll open a case with Lexus if they try to blow me off.
Old 08-10-23, 10:50 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
I appreciate the confirmation and am hoping they'll take care of it. I didn't hear back from them today but hopefully will tomorrow. I guess if I have to I'll open a case with Lexus if they try to blow me off.
Keep us posted on how you make out with the dealer and what the issue ends up being.

Quick Reply: 2022 GX water from moonroof during car wash?