GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Two things that drive me bonkers with my '23 GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 06:21 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Two things that drive me bonkers with my '23 GX

Love my GX! So much so I PPFd the entire thing. Wanted to express the only two frustrations I have with the car, maybe I'm missing something.

For those with the new updated centre console design. I find I am fighting the A/C on/off all the time. You press Auto and it goes back to ON. To turn it off, I have to enter Climate/Options/A/C Off.

While in that menu, when I press the recirc air button on the right and go to Auto, the A/C turns ON. When I go to setting to take air from outside the vehicle, A/C turns off. That doesn't work all the time so I find it quite frustrating to have easy access to turn on/off the A/C. I like to turn it off near getting home to just dry the system out a little before turning off.

The last issue that drives me crazy is why did Lexus not include a physical skip or back button for the media system for songs? I miss such a simple feature on my steering wheel to skip a song. Only way is to do through the MMI or CarPlay if needed.
Old 08-14-23, 07:04 PM
preeble
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I skip songs (forward and reverse) with the steering wheel controls that are next to the volume rocker.

I do agree that the HVAC controls are annoying. I don't use Auto, always keep AC on in summer, keep the recirc/fresh air on Auto and then just change temp and fan speed manually when needed. That gives me the least amount of frustration.
The following 2 users liked this post by preeble:
AlexDev (08-15-23), shawngt2 (08-14-23)
Old 08-14-23, 07:29 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't know that you'll find this helpful, but the best way to not have to fool with the HVAC controls is to just not touch them. Set it to auto, adjust the temp a little with the levers if you need to, and drive the thing. I've had mine since November, and so have seen most seasons in both CO and FL, and don't remember the last time I touched the controls. What does turning AC off every drive accomplish?

Mark
The following 3 users liked this post by ScaldedDog:
gfcipriani (08-15-23), shawngt2 (08-14-23), skeegs (08-15-23)
Old 08-14-23, 07:48 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
I don't know that you'll find this helpful, but the best way to not have to fool with the HVAC controls is to just not touch them. Set it to auto, adjust the temp a little with the levers if you need to, and drive the thing. I've had mine since November, and so have seen most seasons in both CO and FL, and don't remember the last time I touched the controls. What does turning AC off every drive accomplish?

Mark
If you watch the Car Care Nut there is a vid where he has to sterilize the evaporator coil or something to that effect due to mildew growth that causes smell. He said you can turn AC off 5 minutes prior to arriving at home or leave the circulation option to auto as to not recirculate the air in the car full time, which causes a lot of condensation and mildew possibilities so then your car can smell like a sewer when starting up. Just a preventative maintenance thing. He was also mentioning about A/C in MAX mode which is usually full time recirculation vs drawing fresh air from outside. Just OCD prevention kind of thing. Perhaps you're right and just leave it in Auto.

The other option I wish I had in the car is to permanently turn of 3-way controls. It seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes I just want the whole system to run at the same temp, but there is no button to physically turn off. My '19 RAV4 had a dedicated button, which I miss dearly. If you seen the light on, you could just reset and have everything the same again vs working hard to have different zones.
Old 08-14-23, 07:49 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by preeble
I skip songs (forward and reverse) with the steering wheel controls that are next to the volume rocker.

I do agree that the HVAC controls are annoying. I don't use Auto, always keep AC on in summer, keep the recirc/fresh air on Auto and then just change temp and fan speed manually when needed. That gives me the least amount of frustration.
OK, I didn't know the up and down arrows skipped or went back in songs. I thought I tried that once and it was changing media type or something. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow! Thanks
The following users liked this post:
AlexDev (08-15-23)
Old 08-15-23, 03:56 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 45 Posts

‘23 Lux owner here. Yes like noted, changing songs through the steering wheel is my go to, HeySiri is also great when I want a specific song & as far as AC, I live in South FL so the damn thing is always blasted to the max regardless
if there was things I’d say I’d want differently, I wish the GX was just a tad wider for outer arm space & the transmission shift points when light on the pedal can sometimes be jerky, particularly in 1st & 2nd gear. I’m pretty sure Toyota programmed these trucks this way for MPG reasons. Regardless, I LOVE MY GX.
Old 08-15-23, 04:30 AM
shawngt2
Driver

I'm 6'2" and 240lbs and don't find any problems with that width, thank god. About jerkiness, absolutely. I find when changing gears into reverse and into forward (and vice versa) you can't press the gas to soon as I get this THUNK or jerk feeling. I find just waiting a little for the pressure to build up in the transmission before pressing on gas makes things a whole lot smoother.
Old 08-15-23, 06:05 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

What I have come to appreciate about the GX is that I really don't have to think about anything other then actually driving for the most part. I just leave the HVAC on auto and let it do its thing. Even though the A/C light is illuminated, I don't think its always one and only is used when cooling or removing humidity from the cabin air.

I think HVAC defaults might be tied to the keb fob as well, so you might want to check that out?
Old 08-15-23, 06:55 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by shawngt2
OK, I didn't know the up and down arrows skipped or went back in songs. I thought I tried that once and it was changing media type or something. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow! Thanks
Here's your issue.....READ THE MANUAL. FFS
Old 08-15-23, 11:27 AM
JDesmo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shawngt2
If you watch the Car Care Nut there is a vid where he has to sterilize the evaporator coil or something to that effect due to mildew growth that causes smell. He said you can turn AC off 5 minutes prior to arriving at home or leave the circulation option to auto as to not recirculate the air in the car full time, which causes a lot of condensation and mildew possibilities so then your car can smell like a sewer when starting up. Just a preventative maintenance thing. He was also mentioning about A/C in MAX mode which is usually full time recirculation vs drawing fresh air from outside. Just OCD prevention kind of thing. Perhaps you're right and just leave it in Auto.

The other option I wish I had in the car is to permanently turn of 3-way controls. It seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes I just want the whole system to run at the same temp, but there is no button to physically turn off. My '19 RAV4 had a dedicated button, which I miss dearly. If you seen the light on, you could just reset and have everything the same again vs working hard to have different zones.
The 3-way issue annoyed me also until I found a solution: On my split screen, I now keep the AC screen on the right side (Media/music on the left). The 3-way button always available right in front of you to quickly turn off when needed.
Old 08-15-23, 03:43 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by preeble

Works Bro! Pressed the up and down arrows beside volume and the songs skipped. Who would have thunk! Thanks Man
Old 08-15-23, 03:45 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by JDesmo
The 3-way issue annoyed me also until I found a solution: On my split screen, I now keep the AC screen on the right side (Media/music on the left). The 3-way button always available right in front of you to quickly turn off when needed.
Oh Man. Thanks for that tip. That should work well and hopefully I can keep that as a default screen. I guess it doesn't work when using Apple CarPlay though.
Old 08-15-23, 06:29 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Here's your issue.....READ THE MANUAL. FFS

Last edited by shawngt2; 08-15-23 at 06:42 PM.