GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rust Proof Planning ('23 GX)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 04:12 AM
shawngt2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rust Proof Planning ('23 GX)

Hey All, About to rust proof my frame in the '23 GX. Watching the Care Care Nut, he only does the frame, axles and break lines. He avoids doing everything else as far as I am aware and mentions in his review video that everything it is not needed (rockers, belly pans, doors, etc, etc.). I know there are plenty of older Toyota's that have rusted panels, around wheel wells etc. I'm just double thinking this. I do live in Toronto (rust belt). I think he doesn't spray everything because the entire bottom of the truck after a few years looks caked with undercoating. What your thoughts and experience on this? I did search Rust in the forum, but wasn't too successful in the GX forum.
Old 09-19-23, 04:35 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm in Wisconsin and it's not very common to see rust on Lexus body panels, like actually pretty rare vs everything else on the road. Whatever formula they've found...it works and they should never stop. I think the care car nut doesn't go into doors and other areas because that's where the real work is, pulling panels and spraying in the cavities. From my research a compressor and spray gun with appropriate attachments are the key to coating the inside of those cavities with a light mist. My concern with doors specifically would be the coating weeping out the drain holes and causing a mess on the running boards/etc.

There are diy kits that don't require a compressor and dedicated gun for cavities, and those might be worth a shot. Something like this is what I plan to use for inside the frame cavities and similar areas under the GX.
Don't Even Think About It RUST!! Don't Even Think About It RUST!!
The following 2 users liked this post by jonshonda:
ronsatour5 (09-25-23), shawngt2 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 05:00 AM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by jonshonda
I'm in Wisconsin and it's not very common to see rust on Lexus body panels, like actually pretty rare vs everything else on the road. Whatever formula they've found...it works and they should never stop. I think the care car nut doesn't go into doors and other areas because that's where the real work is, pulling panels and spraying in the cavities. From my research a compressor and spray gun with appropriate attachments are the key to coating the inside of those cavities with a light mist. My concern with doors specifically would be the coating weeping out the drain holes and causing a mess on the running boards/etc.

There are diy kits that don't require a compressor and dedicated gun for cavities, and those might be worth a shot. Something like this is what I plan to use for inside the frame cavities and similar areas under the GX. Don't Even Think About It RUST!!
Cool, Thanks for response. I bought the woolwax kit with pro gun and using my buddies huge compressor and going to regulate the the recommended pressure indicated by woolwax. Comes with two extensions, one direct spray and another 360deg. For now I'm just planning to do the same and care care nut. I think key to preventing rust in panels is to wash your car and make sure no buildup of sand etc. that could collect in rockers near the wheels.
Old 09-19-23, 06:54 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by shawngt2
Cool, Thanks for response. I bought the woolwax kit with pro gun and using my buddies huge compressor and going to regulate the the recommended pressure indicated by woolwax. Comes with two extensions, one direct spray and another 360deg. For now I'm just planning to do the same and care care nut. I think key to preventing rust in panels is to wash your car and make sure no buildup of sand etc. that could collect in rockers near the wheels.
And when you are done with the gun you can ship it down to your helpful neighbor from the south so he can spray his GX as well!
The following users liked this post:
shawngt2 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 08:08 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Focus on the Frame ... and not just exterior protection ... frames typically rust from the inside out ... so take to a reputable shop that have the wands necessary to coat the inside of the frame.

Research 4-Runner forums on this subject ... the GX is essentially a glorified 4-Runner ... the underside is virtually identical from a mechanical standpoint.

You are doing the right thing ... research the class action suits on frame rust for the Tacoma, 4-Runner, FJ Cruiser. The bottom line ... Toyota did not incorporate salt into their frame consideration. Probably because this is a fraction of their WW market.
shawngt2 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 08:13 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Never Ever use spray "Rubberized Undercoating" as a DYI ... it ultimately flakes, trapping moisture underneath that accelerates corrosion.
The following 5 users liked this post by ASE:
LeX2K (09-19-23), MrTorgue (09-19-23), shawngt2 (09-19-23), skeegs (09-19-23), Wmb67 (09-22-23)
Old 09-19-23, 08:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,959 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Never Ever use spray "Rubberized Undercoating" as a DYI ... it ultimately flakes, trapping moisture underneath that accelerates corrosion.
I've seen people spend days prepping the chassis only to spray it with tar in a can.
Old 09-19-23, 08:24 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
^ This. I'll be doing some fluid film on both the GX460 and my wife RAM2500. The 360 degree spray nozzle is a must.
shawngt2 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 10:55 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I have been doing fluid film every year since we got our 19 GX and it quite honestly looks brand new, i just buy like 3-4 spray can bottles on amazon and hose in inside of the frame and outside of the frame as much as I am able. I literally do this by laying under the car with one side of the car up on a curb so I have some more room to move around (we're city folk and I don't have a garage). You can certainly do a better, more comprehensive job if you have a real compressor and sprayer and some wands to get inside the frame but I have found (from owning a lot of toyota's) living in the North East anything is better than nothing. This said, I am super happy with Fluid Film so far and will hose it down every year.

FYI, I also do this on our 4Runner, that I neglected to undercoat for the first 4 years of ownership, and the difference between it and the GX is evident. I have been able to "Rust Neutralize" the surface rust that was showing on the 4Runner, but it would have been much easier to do it from new like we are on the GX, so i applaud you for doing this now and not waiting!
The following 2 users liked this post by schwein:
ASE (09-19-23), shawngt2 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 12:25 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Always good to do regular underbody pressure washing in the Winter months. Best to not do the underbody in an automatic car wash ... more than several posts on this forum where the GX had electrical issues as a result.
shawngt2 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 03:46 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by ASE
Completely agree.
Old 09-19-23, 03:49 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by ASE
Always good to do regular underbody pressure washing in the Winter months. Best to not do the underbody in an automatic car wash ... more than several posts on this forum where the GX had electrical issues as a result.
I actually purchased an MTM underbody washer (linked below) with spec 40" reach. Not sure how high the pressure will be until I use it (I won't be able to verify). Hope is won't cause any issues! I'll know if the pressure is a little too much. Those automated car washes are at insane pressures.

The MTM undercarriage has 4 nozzles, so not expecting much pressure distributing through 4 nozzles at max @1800 psi. I'll pass this under when the weather lets out periodically during the winter and planning to do 2 days prior to the rust proofing procedure.

https://www.mtmhydroparts.com/produc...8fae27e0&_ss=r

Last edited by shawngt2; 09-19-23 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-19-23, 03:51 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by schwein
I have been doing fluid film every year since we got our 19 GX and it quite honestly looks brand new, i just buy like 3-4 spray can bottles on amazon and hose in inside of the frame and outside of the frame as much as I am able. I literally do this by laying under the car with one side of the car up on a curb so I have some more room to move around (we're city folk and I don't have a garage). You can certainly do a better, more comprehensive job if you have a real compressor and sprayer and some wands to get inside the frame but I have found (from owning a lot of toyota's) living in the North East anything is better than nothing. This said, I am super happy with Fluid Film so far and will hose it down every year.

FYI, I also do this on our 4Runner, that I neglected to undercoat for the first 4 years of ownership, and the difference between it and the GX is evident. I have been able to "Rust Neutralize" the surface rust that was showing on the 4Runner, but it would have been much easier to do it from new like we are on the GX, so i applaud you for doing this now and not waiting!
Thanks for your input and confirming that it makes a difference! I'm sure you stopped corrosion on your 4runner full stop.
Old 09-19-23, 03:52 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by jonshonda
And when you are done with the gun you can ship it down to your helpful neighbor from the south so he can spray his GX as well!
Haha. Nice.

P.S. Sorry everyone. New to the forums and realized there's a multi-quote vs responding to multiple.
Old 09-19-23, 04:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,959 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Originally Posted by shawngt2
I'll pass this under when the weather lets out periodically during the winter and planning to do 2 days prior to the rust proofing procedure.
Don't wash off your rust proofing product during winter.
shawngt2 (09-19-23)

Quick Reply: Rust Proof Planning ('23 GX)