GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rotational Chirping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23 | 08:12 AM
cglassy
9th Gear

Unhappy Rotational Chirping Noise

I'm new here. 2011 GX 460 180k. I've probably posted in the wrong spot too, and I apologize. I have tried to figure out this site for a couple of days and finally just jumped in.

After 1.5 years, Lexus cannot figure out my issue. I have a chirping noise at all speeds. It seems to come from the right, drivers side. It is a rotational sound/chirp It was way worse in the heat. We live in MN and my video isn't great and I deleted some good ones because I thought it was fixed. Lexus said it was my ujoint. I am not a car person. I'm a mom that is driving a lot and this noise is driving me crazy. I'll see if I can attached my video and my service records. I've had so much work done to no avail. I've read about lubricating the bumper stops and the hood. I joined this group to see if anyone recognized this sound. Must be metal on metal. Suspension? I've uploaded all the repairs in the attached pdf. Most recent services at the beginning of the pdf. We are hoping our daughter can drive this to high school next year. Thank you in advance.
(sound of chirping)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
repairs from lexus.pdf (151.1 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by cglassy; 10-19-23 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Update: Lexus Dealership is saying now that my Hub needs replacement.
Old 10-05-23 | 08:12 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Couldn't really hear it in the video. Check your serpentine belt for coolant on it. Sometimes a coolant leak or another liquid will get on the belt and make it squeak during various RPMs. Also a worn belt tensioner can cause the same squeak / chirp.
The following users liked this post:
cglassy (10-06-23)
Old 10-05-23 | 09:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Suspension won't make a sound with every wheel rotation, sounds like brake pad/rotor squeak to me.
cglassy (10-06-23)
Old 10-06-23 | 03:51 AM
cglassy
9th Gear

What's frustrating, is if you look in my records, they've done everything with the rotors and brake pads. I'll suggest the serpentine belt.
I'm sure they'll wonder how i would even know that! This awesome, group, of course. Thanks. I'll report back. They are so sick of me at Lexus.
Old 10-06-23 | 06:10 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Use a spray bottle filled with water ... and spray a jet of water on the serpentine belt (on the friction side) at the pulley interface(s) ... while the engine is running and making the noise. If it's the belt ... the noise will stop for a short period of time ... and start again once the water dissipates.

Last edited by ASE; 10-06-23 at 06:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
cglassy (10-06-23), MrTorgue (10-06-23)
Old 10-06-23 | 07:37 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

I listened to the video and I doubt it is the belt. The rhythm of the chirps appear to be in sync with the truck's speed. If it was the belt it would chirp while not in motion and you would have shot the video while idling.

It is hard for me to believe that a qualified Lexus tech cannot reproduce the chirp while the truck is on the lift and rotating the tire, then identify the source. I would take it to a good independent and let them take a look. I would have guessed a warped rotor but it was replaced. Also sometimes things can get stuck between the rotor and the backing plate which can cause weird noises but they would have found it while working on the brakes (if in fact they did it).
The fact that the dealer returned your the vehicle without resolving the actual problem and charging you for a bunch of work that may have not even been necessary warrants a bad Google review at the minimum.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewB2Lexus:
cglassy (10-06-23), LeX2K (10-06-23)
Old 10-06-23 | 08:23 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cglassy
What's frustrating, is if you look in my records, they've done everything with the rotors and brake pads. I'll suggest the serpentine belt.
I'm sure they'll wonder how i would even know that! This awesome, group, of course. Thanks. I'll report back. They are so sick of me at Lexus.
You need to take the car to a different shop. They've tossed so many parts at the problem and still can't solve it, frankly the amount it has cost you to NOT have a fix is ridiculous.
cglassy (10-06-23)
Old 10-06-23 | 09:13 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
I listened to the video and I doubt it is the belt. The rhythm of the chirps appear to be in sync with the truck's speed. If it was the belt it would chirp while not in motion and you would have shot the video while idling.

It is hard for me to believe that a qualified Lexus tech cannot reproduce the chirp while the truck is on the lift and rotating the tire, then identify the source. I would take it to a good independent and let them take a look. I would have guessed a warped rotor but it was replaced. Also sometimes things can get stuck between the rotor and the backing plate which can cause weird noises but they would have found it while working on the brakes (if in fact they did it).
The fact that the dealer returned your the vehicle without resolving the actual problem and charging you for a bunch of work that may have not even been necessary warrants a bad Google review at the minimum.
My thought as well. The chirp seemed to align with wheel rotation rather than engine/rpms. Brakes tend to have more of a grinding noise vs a chirp/squeak like I heard, but still work checking brakes/rotors/wheels/etc.
But that's something to share with the tech: does the squeak align with wheel speed, or is it more aligned with engine speed/rpms?

Last edited by Jacket; 10-06-23 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-06-23 | 10:05 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Take a close look around the front CV shafts while the vehicle is on the ground or the suspension is compressed. It could be something around the skid plates rubbing on the CV shafts that does not interfere when the vehicle is lifted and the suspension droops.
The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
cglassy (10-06-23), MrTorgue (10-06-23)
Old 10-06-23 | 12:29 PM
cglassy
9th Gear

Ok. I'll try that. Feeling like I have been taken to the cleaners from Lexus with all the repairs and costs. Almost 9k. They talked me into new tires... I've done everything they suggested.
Old 10-06-23 | 12:30 PM
cglassy
9th Gear

Thank you, I feel like i've been taken advantage of, for sure.
Old 10-06-23 | 12:31 PM
cglassy
9th Gear

That makes sense too. Everything is different when it's suspended. Thank you for your response.
Old 10-06-23 | 12:33 PM
cglassy
9th Gear

I agree with the review on Google. Did you know if you give the dealership a less than 5 star review, the rep has to go to customer service training and they don't receive their "bonus" or something. It's been awful experience. My customer rep and the service manager both quit after this with my car. I talked to one of them offline/personal time and they said the pressure was just terrible. Time for an independent, I guess.
Old 10-09-23 | 07:49 AM
John00
Racer

check the guard behind the rotor for scratches or marks.
also once i had a rock stuck in the rotor in the vanes area. would make sounds too a while to figure it out
and look at the pads, specifically the wear indicator. the tab that makes noise when pads are low. thats what it sounds like to me. things heat up and shift dimensions.
the slightest shift can cause the tab to hit and it wont always hit. rotors dont stay flat once they get placed on incorrectly. people think that its the heat that causes warpage but its almost all caused by incorrect and uneven torque application.
just bend that tab out so it doesn't hit. worth a try and takes about 5 mins.
tabs usually soft enough to not mark the rotor.
cglassy (10-09-23)
Old 10-19-23 | 10:11 AM
cglassy
9th Gear

Lexus is now saying my Hub needs repair. With having the rotors replaced, the bearings, etc. Wouldn't this have been discovered countless service attempts, prior? It seems as if unnecessary work has been performed with my car. Thought I'd ask here if this is completely separate work that can be overlooked. I understand they aren't miracle workers but this seems negligent after a short bit or research. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Rotational Chirping Noise