GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Bouncy ride after replacing air springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-23, 07:51 AM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kamranrafi
i have been going through some videos and came across this, do you think it’s applicable for gx460 as well? I have 2015

https://youtu.be/DoMAxVZO-1I?si=GFu1Q8rfEMVxMZ_a
LX AHC is a completely different system. AHC uses hydraulic controlled "shocks" which provide both a mechanical dampening and force (spring) function. It is a rather complex, yet robust system.

What you have on the GX is an adjustable air spring to provide variable force to lift the vehicle against the force of gravity. It was not designed to provide mechanical dampening functions - that is what the shocks are for
Old 11-09-23, 08:13 AM
kamranrafi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gfcipriani
Take it to a mechanic you trust for confirmation. He/she will do both a functional and visual inspection. If you have ~100k miles on your GX, then changing shocks now would be good preventative maintenance on your vehicle in any event. They are a wear item, and it is not uncommon for the shocks to need replacement at such mileage. A vehicle's suspension (shocks and springs) is a very important safety component, right up there with brakes and tires. Best to not let it go to the point of failure.
Well to be very honest, i got these checked by a mechanic prior to looking for a solution myself. Surprisingly he didn't see any issue. I am going to give it another shot by passing by to a different workshop to see what are their thoughts.

Thanks for your valuable feedback sir!
Old 11-09-23, 07:12 PM
kamranrafi
Driver

Originally Posted by gfcipriani
Take it to a mechanic you trust for confirmation. He/she will do both a functional and visual inspection. If you have ~100k miles on your GX, then changing shocks now would be good preventative maintenance on your vehicle in any event. They are a wear item, and it is not uncommon for the shocks to need replacement at such mileage. A vehicle's suspension (shocks and springs) is a very important safety component, right up there with brakes and tires. Best to not let it go to the point of failure.
I might have used wrong wording here. The car is not bouncy, it is BUMPY. I feel bumps and bumps everywhere.
Old 11-09-23, 07:34 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts

I feel bumps and bumps everywhere.
Set the AVS switch to "Comfort" and adjust tire pressure to 32 psi.
The following users liked this post:
kamranrafi (11-09-23)
Old 11-09-23, 07:42 PM
kamranrafi
Driver

Originally Posted by mike202
Set the AVS switch to "Comfort" and adjust tire pressure to 32 psi.
Confirming the AVS switch is at comfort and the tire pressure is 32 psi. There is indeed a visible difference when i drive in comfort mode and normal mode. Feel more bumps on Normal mode and comfort is better. But even in comfort mode, i can feel bumps. Driving on the same road on my other car which is honda crv, i don't feel those bumps, which bothers me alot
Old 11-09-23, 08:46 PM
kamranrafi
Driver

Just wondering now if this has something to do with bleeding KDSS??
Old 11-10-23, 06:53 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

... Driving on the same road on my other car which is honda crv, i don't feel those bumps, which bothers me alot
Your GX is a "Body on Frame" truck which will never ride as smoothly as a car based Honda CRV.
Maybe what you are experiencing now is normal to the GX, leaking airbags will result in a softer ride due to less air/air pressure in the airbags.

Last edited by IanG; 11-10-23 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-10-23, 09:27 AM
kamranrafi
Driver

Originally Posted by IanG
Your GX is a "Body on Frame" truck which will never ride as smoothly as a car based Honda CRV.
Maybe what you are experiencing now is normal to the GX, leaking airbags will result in a softer ride due to less air/air pressure in the airbags.
the car is with me from past 3 years and the air bags got leaked recently. I have driven it with stock air shocks when there was no leak, i can surely tell that the ride was not this stiff. Someone mentioned above that the new air springs might require some time to get soft little bit, but i am not sure if this is the case.

i have placed an order for replacement shocks, will get those changed to see if they make some difference.
Old 11-10-23, 10:13 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Also make sure your height sensors are set within spec and not over inflating bags.

Old 11-10-23, 09:26 PM
kamranrafi
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad
Also make sure your height sensors are set within spec and not over inflating bags.
Thanks for passing this on. What is the factory height, if we measure it from base of the tire on the ground to the frame of the car? Measuring it like this:

or like this:

Last edited by kamranrafi; 11-10-23 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-11-23, 02:29 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

No experience making any changes here but if sure shocks don’t need to be replaced or let bags settle in something to possibly explore.

Translated site from an owner in Ukraine who lowered to increase comfort.
https://www-drive2-ru.translate.goog..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Old 11-11-23, 07:50 PM
kamranrafi
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad
Just a thought, in case the air springs are over inflating, and we push the height control to High, there shouldn't be much difference in height between Normal and High mode, correct?
Old 11-12-23, 08:00 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

Just a thought, in case the air springs are over inflating, and we push the height control to High, there shouldn't be much difference in height between Normal and High mode, correct?
There are several posts that indicate the height difference from Lo to Hi is 2" so I assume there is a 1" difference between each Lo - Norm - Hi
Old 11-13-23, 05:56 AM
kamranrafi
Driver

Originally Posted by IanG
There are several posts that indicate the height difference from Lo to Hi is 2" so I assume there is a 1" difference between each Lo - Norm - Hi
I managed to take height measurements.

Rear Passenger side:
Low - 20.5
Neutral - 21.5
High - 22.8

Rear Driver Side:
Low - 21.5
Neutral - 22.5
High - 23.5

So I’m at 1 inch more height at Rear Driver side on each setting. I have seen alot for posts here where other gx facing the same 1 inch difference.

now the question is, this 1 inch more at driver side can be a potential cause of this bumpy ride? The air bag at driver side is possibly more inflated than passenger side, due to which it is stiff?

there are three different fixes for 1 inch height difference:

1. Adjust height sensor
2. there is KDSS adjustment by loosing couple of nuts and then tightening them back again after putting the higher side of the car on some piece of wood.
3. Replacement of front driver coil spring with a shorter spring (lexus dealership have this fix done on few vehicles in US, i found it here on these forums)

1 and 2 need some expertise to perform where as third one requires $$ plus expertise. What should i do? Any prior experience if someone faced same issue?

thoughts?

Old 11-13-23, 05:57 AM
kamranrafi
Driver

I can confirm that there is no leak in the air suspension system, bags were leaked and those have been replaced and rest all checked for any leakage.

Quick Reply: Bouncy ride after replacing air springs