GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Bouncy ride after replacing air springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-23, 06:49 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts

now the question is, this 1 inch more at driver side can be a potential cause of this bumpy ride?
No

1. Adjust height sensor
2. there is KDSS adjustment by loosing couple of nuts and then tightening them back again after putting the higher side of the car on some piece of wood.
#1 and #2 will not affect left to right height differences. The proper fix is to change the left spring per the SB. This will not change the ride character. Plenty of discussion on this in the GX lean thread.

​​​​​​​
Old 11-13-23, 07:42 AM
kamranrafi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike202
No

#1 and #2 will not affect left to right height differences. The proper fix is to change the left spring per the SB. This will not change the ride character. Plenty of discussion on this in the GX lean thread.
i am trying to figure out a solution to my ride problem. These all possible fixes have been gathered by going through alot of threads here.

someone above mentioned that over inflation of air springs can cause bumpy ride, so i was wondering since i am an 1 inch more than a standard gx at neutral height so this might be the reason.

since you said this has no effect on ride character, what esle will solve the issue?

BTW I already have ordered luft meister rear shocks, they will be in 10 days i guess, i will definitely share the results after rear shocks replacement. Cheers
Old 11-13-23, 09:12 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

someone above mentioned that over inflation of air springs can cause bumpy ride, so i was wondering since i am an 1 inch more than a standard gx at neutral height so this might be the reason.
There is no reason to remove or adjust the height sensor when replace air springs. However if it is out of adjustment, this will affect height. Since you don't know if it have been tampered with, it is suggested to go through the SM procedure to at least check the adjustment.

BTW I already have ordered luft meister rear shocks
Since you seem to have a particularly vexing problem, I think it is a mistake to go with cheap Chinese shocks. You are now introducing an unknown variable. It is best to stick with the OEM Lexus shocks.
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
gfcipriani (11-13-23)
Old 11-13-23, 09:40 AM
kamranrafi
Driver

There is no reason to remove or adjust the height sensor when replace air springs. However if it is out of adjustment, this will affect height. Since you don't know if it have been tampered with, it is suggested to go through the SM procedure to at least check the adjustment.

Since you seem to have a particularly vexing problem, I think it is a mistake to go with cheap Chinese shocks. You are now introducing an unknown variable. It is best to stick with the OEM Lexus shocks.
luft meister chinese? They says german on their website 😞

OEM pair costs around 650$ where as i got these for 250$. I am willing to spend 650 if it guarantees my problem would be solved. Trying cheap one’s is kind of a risk of losing less $$ if the problem is not resolved.
Old 11-13-23, 09:50 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

luft meister chinese? They says german on their website
I don't see mention of German or Germany on their website: https://luft-meister.com/

Here is their contact info from their site. Only a Chinese company would use Hotmail for emailing. Clearly the name "luft meister" is meant to instill a Teutonic influence.

Company Name: Chengdu Okeys Trading Co., Ltd.
Address: wu hou qu yihuanlu 1206, Chengdu, Sichuan Province.
Email: Luftmeister2022@hotmail.com

Also there is this from their site:

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

I would be okay with the KYB replacement shocks as discussed here in other threads. Note KYB is the OEM supplier for the GX460.

Last edited by mike202; 11-13-23 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (11-14-23)
Old 11-13-23, 10:04 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

OEM pair costs around 650$ where as i got these for 250$. I am willing to spend 650 if it guarantees my problem would be solved. Trying cheap one’s is kind of a risk of losing less $$ if the problem is not resolved.
KYB's are not as pricey as OEM, read this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ternative.html
Old 11-13-23, 07:25 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

This is part of the reason Lexus and KYB don't let you know they "KYB shocks" are made in China. FYI KYB has been made in China for over 20 years. They also have factories in Malysia and Thailand. Jiangsu KYB - 全球减震专家 (kyb-china.com)
Old 11-13-23, 07:56 PM
kamranrafi
Driver

It seems all after market parts are made in china.
Old 11-14-23, 10:24 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by John00
This is part of the reason Lexus and KYB don't let you know they "KYB shocks" are made in China. FYI KYB has been made in China for over 20 years. They also have factories in Malysia and Thailand. Jiangsu KYB - 全球减震专家 (kyb-china.com)
From their website:

I don't doubt they have manufacturing in China and I am sure a lot is used for domestic OEM's. However the GX OEM shocks are manufactured in Japan. See "Made in Japan" stamping on the shocks and struts.

With that said, I would gladly pick KYB shocks manufactured in China over bargain basement Chinese shocks with a faux German name.

The following 2 users liked this post by mike202:
gfcipriani (11-14-23), kamranrafi (11-14-23)
Old 11-14-23, 03:49 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

... my God ... this post has gone off into the weeds ... seriously ? ... let's get political about "country of origin" with absolutely no context as to the parent company that defines product quality ... it's all about corporate culture ...

Sorry, but outsourcing is a reality in this day and age ...
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
John00 (11-14-23), kamranrafi (11-14-23)
Old 11-14-23, 07:31 PM
kamranrafi
Driver

Luckily I got a contact of a distributor who sells KYB shocks here in the middle east, I will be returning the Luft meister one's and will be going to KYB. To my surprise, the price of KYB and Luft meister has no major difference. I hope the quality does have a difference. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-15-23, 04:32 AM
kamranrafi
Driver

Originally Posted by kamranrafi
Luckily I got a contact of a distributor who sells KYB shocks here in the middle east, I will be returning the Luft meister one's and will be going to KYB. To my surprise, the price of KYB and Luft meister has no major difference. I hope the quality does have a difference. Fingers crossed!
there is an update, the KYB shocks compatible to my GX are coming without sensors. The OEM shocks have sensor as in the image attached.

Now i am not sure what will be the behavior of KYB shocks on my car.

Old 11-15-23, 09:24 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

there is an update, the KYB shocks compatible to my GX are coming without sensors. The OEM shocks have sensor as in the image attached.

Now i am not sure what will be the behavior of KYB shocks on my car.
This is not a sensor per se; the shock with the connector is for AVS equipped GX's, which you have. The shock damping is adjustable as part of the AVS system.

The shock w/o the connector is for non-AVS GX's. So you have the wrong shock.

Here is a lengthy discussion about KYB replacement shocks:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ternative.html

From that thread, here are the p/n's you need: 741072 KYB rear OEM electronic shocks

https://partsouq.com/shop/product/74...orber/16184450

Last edited by mike202; 11-15-23 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-15-23, 09:59 AM
kamranrafi
Driver

From that thread, here are the p/n's you need: 741072 KYB rear OEM electronic shocks

https://partsouq.com/shop/product/74...orber/16184450
yup you are correct. This is very unfortunate but partsouq.com are not licensed to deliver parts to the same country where they are operating from (i am residing there )

I am looking for other options to get my hands on KYB shocks
Old 11-15-23, 10:46 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

I am looking for other options to get my hands on KYB shocks
Maybe contact KYB in the UAE and see if there are other distributors in your area.

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Bouncy ride after replacing air springs