GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

30K service (diff and transfer case)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-23 | 07:00 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Default 30K service (diff and transfer case)

So our GX crossed 30K.

Heads up to anyone who has done the secondary air filter mod, check it regularly as on my filter the rubber has started to deteriorate.
Had planned to replace it anyway, good that I had ordered it.

Engine air filter after 10k miles

Front Dif magnet, oil still looked ok, no real particles, only what was on magnet, note, this is from regular driving, no off-road.

Rear diff, similar, oil not looking too bad, better than front diff, but also oil volume is larger

Transfer case oil was very good condition, but I changed it anyway.

Also did normal engine oil + filter, wiper blades, AC filter, greased drive shaft, "greased" door hinges etc and all normal items.

Last edited by tntcandy; 12-25-23 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-25-23 | 11:15 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info on the maintenance stuff. In your judgment, was 30K an appropriate interval to change the transfer case and differential oils? Or would you have done it sooner?

Regarding that secondary air pump filter mod, I don't think the widely-accepted solution is ideal. The aftermarket filter is readily exposed to a lot of heat, excessive dust, and potentially water that the stock foam filter is not exposed to because of its location in the stock housing with inlet cap. My plan is to simply replace the stock foam filter after 30K miles or so. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be a perfectly viable solution, and it doesn't involve any of the issues associated with the aftermarket filter.
The following users liked this post:
shawngt2 (12-26-23)
Old 12-26-23 | 06:52 AM
John00
Racer

probably good idea to put that in the filter mod thread and maybe some of the rest of us can check ours and report back.
Old 12-26-23 | 11:55 AM
shawngt2
Driver

Originally Posted by nkx1
Thanks for the info on the maintenance stuff. In your judgment, was 30K an appropriate interval to change the transfer case and differential oils? Or would you have done it sooner?

Regarding that secondary air pump filter mod, I don't think the widely-accepted solution is ideal. The aftermarket filter is readily exposed to a lot of heat, excessive dust, and potentially water that the stock foam filter is not exposed to because of its location in the stock housing with inlet cap. My plan is to simply replace the stock foam filter after 30K miles or so. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be a perfectly viable solution, and it doesn't involve any of the issues associated with the aftermarket filter.
Totally agree!
Old 12-26-23 | 12:14 PM
JDesmo
Rookie

Yes, was thinking the same. However, I was looking for the foam filter P/N or availability by itself, and couldn't find it anywhere unless you buy the whole assembly.
Old 12-26-23 | 01:53 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

I did not find the oil bad.
I'll plan next replacement at 60k, it's an easy job and gives you peace of mind. Could you drive to 50k, for sure.
If I was off-roading the GX I woful have changed at 15k, again just for peace of mind.

I added the filter info to the UNI filter mod tread as well, good point.
nkx1 (12-28-23)
Old 12-26-23 | 02:09 PM
shawngt2
Driver

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Le...76210C010.html

Is this not the filter? It's says fits my 2023 GX 460 but also states 4.7 litre so not sure..Shows in compatibility list it fits from 2010-2023 GX models, so appears it has not changed through generations. I thought I recall it looks like a simple triangle piece of foam though...

Last edited by shawngt2; 12-26-23 at 02:19 PM.
JZZFZZ (12-28-23)
Old 12-27-23 | 03:54 AM
JeffS520
Rookie

Originally Posted by shawngt2
https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Le...76210C010.html

Is this not the filter? It's says fits my 2023 GX 460 but also states 4.7 litre so not sure..Shows in compatibility list it fits from 2010-2023 GX models, so appears it has not changed through generations. I thought I recall it looks like a simple triangle piece of foam though...
That particular part is not the filter even though it says “filter”. It allows air into the SAIP. The actual triangular piece filter element you mention is in the top part of the pump itself.
I have the UNI mod filter and checked mine so thanks for the heads up @tntcandy .
GXBOB has a video on doing the UNI mod filter so you can see where the actual filter is located.
Old 12-28-23 | 08:38 AM
gr8lakes
6th Gear

Non-DIYers: beware that a Toyota dealer may try to change transfer case fluid with diff fluid, unless you are specifically okay with that. Details in other threads.
Old 12-29-23 | 04:49 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gr8lakes
Non-DIYers: beware that a Toyota dealer may try to change transfer case fluid with diff fluid, unless you are specifically okay with that. Details in other threads.
Not that I agree with them doing that, but they have been doing it for decades and I don't see very many....if any transfer case issues with the GX460.
Old 12-30-23 | 01:20 PM
Whisky4
7th Gear

I run 75w80 synthetic in all of my TCs and have for years, no issues.