GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking at 2017 GX but wondering about LX...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 09:16 AM
leomessi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at 2017 GX but wondering about LX...

I will be using this vehicle for overlanding / car camping, as well as towing and regular daily driving. I am looking at a Lexus SUV because I want the ultimate in reliability and comfort for those purposes.

I am willing to spend more for an LX, but wondering if it will actually be better for my purposes. So far what seem to be the main downsides are:
  1. The suspension is an air suspension which reduces reliability significantly, as it cannot be reasonably expected to last for 100k+ miles. What happens if/when it fails? Will I be stranded or does it just deflate so I am driving as if it was in "low" mode?
  2. The V8 in the LX may be less reliable than the GX.
  3. It's far longer which gives me more space for car camping in the back.

However, there are some major upsides to the LX..
  1. It seems to have more built in features for overlanding, there was a 12 volt outlet built into the front console for example.
  2. It does ride better for daily driving, probably because of the air suspension, and I am more confident behind the wheel of it (feels like the brakes have more bite).

What would you do?
Old 01-02-24, 09:39 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

The suspension on LX is hydraulic not air. So there is not much of reliability issue.

LX v8 is one of most reliable engines in Toyota history, not sure where did you get the info about its less reliable then GX v8.
The following users liked this post:
gfcipriani (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 10:06 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Maybe the new GX550 is what you want. MSRP will be around the same price as a newish CPO LX570. The new J250 platform has the same wheelbase as the LX600 and LX570 and will have similar cargo capacity. The main benefit will be that the new platform was redesigned to be a more capable tow rig, with certain trims it will be able to tow up to 8k lbs. Gas milage, while poor, will still be better than the horrendous milage in the LX570.
Cons will be you have to wait until at least until March or April and unproven tech. But, engine is a variant from the LS so it isn't totally new.
gfcipriani (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 10:54 AM
leomessi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
The suspension on LX is hydraulic not air. So there is not much of reliability issue.

LX v8 is one of most reliable engines in Toyota history, not sure where did you get the info about its less reliable then GX v8.
Yeah, thanks for the info, I looked it up shortly after and found that it's hydraulic. The salesman told me it's air. I think maybe Lexus calls it their "air suspension"? But either way, glad to know it's hydraulic. Sounds like it's actually the GX460 that has rear air suspension.

Tbh, about the V8 engine, I had just heard on more than one occasion that the GX460 was rated the most reliable SUV in the world and hadn't heard it about the LX. SO I assumed that while Lexus V8s are reliable that it would be less reliable than the most reliable.

Originally Posted by CFAI
Maybe the new GX550 is what you want. MSRP will be around the same price as a newish CPO LX570. The new J250 platform has the same wheelbase as the LX600 and LX570 and will have similar cargo capacity. The main benefit will be that the new platform was redesigned to be a more capable tow rig, with certain trims it will be able to tow up to 8k lbs. Gas milage, while poor, will still be better than the horrendous milage in the LX570.
Cons will be you have to wait until at least until March or April and unproven tech. But, engine is a variant from the LS so it isn't totally new.
The new GX looks nice, but I'm not willing to try out a new engine when my main reason for wanting a Lexus is reliability -- my understanding is that Toyota turbocharged engines have not had quite the same legendary reliability as their NA equivalents.

--

How much more rear room is there in the LX? Given that one of my main use cases is camping in it, which includes sleeping in it, this seems pretty important.
Old 01-02-24, 12:11 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Avoid the GX550 at all costs. You want a tried and true reliable vehicle. Either the GX or LX will suit your needs. Obviously I'm biased as a GX owner, but honestly both would be fantastic. The V8's are just brilliant.
Old 01-02-24, 05:09 PM
leomessi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Avoid the GX550 at all costs.
That should be easy, because I'm not willing to pay anywhere near the asking cost for the GX550!

Only downside to the V8 is the MPG. Ouch, 13MPG in the LX...... Makes me want to consider the new 2024 Land Cruiser which is supposedly going to get 25MPG or something like that. And Toyota does seem to know how to do hybrids.
Old 01-02-24, 08:17 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by leomessi
That should be easy, because I'm not willing to pay anywhere near the asking cost for the GX550!

Only downside to the V8 is the MPG. Ouch, 13MPG in the LX...... Makes me want to consider the new 2024 Land Cruiser which is supposedly going to get 25MPG or something like that. And Toyota does seem to know how to do hybrids.
That new TT V6 will not get much better than what the GX460 gets in the real world. LOL
Old 01-02-24, 08:23 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

That new TT V6 will not get much better than what the GX460 gets in the real world. LOL
My 6500 lb F150 on 35’s with a TTV6 gets as good of mpg’s as my GX. LOL
Old 01-02-24, 08:25 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

I will be using this vehicle for overlanding / car camping, as well as towing and regular daily driving. I am looking at a Lexus SUV because I want the ultimate in reliability and comfort for those purposes.

I am willing to spend more for an LX, but wondering if it will actually be better for my purposes. So far what seem to be the main downsides are:
  1. The suspension is an air suspension which reduces reliability significantly, as it cannot be reasonably expected to last for 100k+ miles. What happens if/when it fails? Will I be stranded or does it just deflate so I am driving as if it was in "low" mode?
  2. The V8 in the LX may be less reliable than the GX.
  3. It's far longer which gives me more space for car camping in the back.

However, there are some major upsides to the LX..
  1. It seems to have more built in features for overlanding, there was a 12 volt outlet built into the front console for example.
  2. It does ride better for daily driving, probably because of the air suspension, and I am more confident behind the wheel of it (feels like the brakes have more bite).

What would you do?
How much are you towing?.
Old 01-02-24, 09:07 PM
leomessi
Driver School Candidate

True, but the new Land Cruiser will get double what the LX gets

Originally Posted by skrypj
How much are you towing?.
2,500LBS for now but maybe up to 5,000
Old 01-02-24, 09:25 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by skrypj
My 6500 lb F150 on 35’s with a TTV6 gets as good of mpg’s as my GX. LOL
Apples meet oranges.
Carnevino (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 04:35 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

You haven't stated your budget so it's tough to really suggest anything. But what I found is the used LX I wanted or that made sense to buy with the goal of owning long term was too expensive, or it just didn't make sense imho. Granted it was a year ago when I was looking, and my budget was roughly 40k all in. I found 13-15 LX w/ 80-100k miles was mid 40's and up. The GX's (luxury addition which I would suggest to anyone who tows) 17-19 w/ 40-60k miles around $40k +/- $2-5k.

I ended up getting a very nice 17 Luxury w/ 55k miles locally for $38k all in. If you are worried about the suspension, you can look for the 200 series Land Cruiser, but they aren't nearly as common as the LX and command a premium over the LX.
chadmon97 (01-05-24)
Old 01-03-24, 04:38 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

My average in the 17 GX since we've bought it 14-15mpg, but we tow a fair amount and lots of in town driving. Also have a victory 4x4 roof rack.

Old 01-03-24, 08:12 AM
leomessi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonshonda
You haven't stated your budget so it's tough to really suggest anything. But what I found is the used LX I wanted or that made sense to buy with the goal of owning long term was too expensive, or it just didn't make sense imho. Granted it was a year ago when I was looking, and my budget was roughly 40k all in. I found 13-15 LX w/ 80-100k miles was mid 40's and up. The GX's (luxury addition which I would suggest to anyone who tows) 17-19 w/ 40-60k miles around $40k +/- $2-5k.

I ended up getting a very nice 17 Luxury w/ 55k miles locally for $38k all in. If you are worried about the suspension, you can look for the 200 series Land Cruiser, but they aren't nearly as common as the LX and command a premium over the LX.
My budget is $50k and under if I go with the LX. If I go with the GX, yeah I have found some nice 17s with 40k miles for only $35k locally. So I'd be lowering my budget and saving $15k.

But, if the LX will serve me better long term, I am willing to spend more on it, since the whole idea behind buying the Lexus is to keep it for 10+ years. I want to find an LX with around 50k miles and would plan to drive it until at least 250k.
Old 01-03-24, 08:19 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jonshonda
My average in the 17 GX since we've bought it 14-15mpg, but we tow a fair amount and lots of in town driving. Also have a victory 4x4 roof rack.
Very close to my average of 15.6 mpg (actual not from onboard estimate), this includes 70% towing a 4200 lb travel trailer and 30% highway without a trailer

Quick Reply: Looking at 2017 GX but wondering about LX...