GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

More elegant USB wiring solution for 2023 GX

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24 | 12:06 PM
Snorkeldorf
6th Gear

Default More elegant USB wiring solution for 2023 GX

Hi there,

Brand new here and just got my first GX.

Looking for better wiring solutions for the USB connection in front of the shifter.

Ideally, I would like the ability to close the retractable cover but not a must. Other than that I'm interested in cleaner/shorter USB cables, phone holders (to the right of radio area perhaps?), and my friend mentioned wireless options.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-24 | 12:32 PM
BullionGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Snorkeldorf
Hi there,

Looking for better wiring solutions for the USB connection in front of the shifter.

Ideally, I would like the ability to close the retractable cover but not a must. Other than that I'm interested in cleaner/shorter USB cables, phone holders (to the right of radio area perhaps?), and my friend mentioned wireless options.

Thanks!
I just got a 2023 GX as well and had trouble finding a good phone mount/case until I came across Peak Designs. I am currently using the Peak Design car vent mount with their everyday case and the combo works great together. I have the mount on the right side vent under the monitor and it doesn't interfere with the screen. So far I have had no problems with either of their items.
The following users liked this post:
gfcipriani (02-01-24)
Old 01-04-24 | 02:35 PM
pllxs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Snorkeldorf
Hi there,

Thanks!
It's a little expensive, but I'm using the Porsche/Audi USB cable. It's coiled and short. So I can plug in my phone and drop it in the space next to the USB ports. I'm using an iPhone 15 Pro Max, and you can really not see it (at least, it's not in the way of anything). I cannot close the cover, though (but that's good in my case because I'd leave it in the car by accident all the time!).

This is the cable I'm using:

https://porsche.oempartsonline.com/o...ItMGwtaDQtZ2Fz

They have versions with Lightning, too.
Old 01-04-24 | 08:28 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

There's another good thread on this topic, with lots of good ideas posted. Here's what I did:

One cable is to charge my phone, the other is a female USB A I can use to charge my watch, wife's phone, or whatever. There's a wireless AA device in the cubby, so I can stuff the cables in and shut the door completely if desired. In practice, I never do that.

Mark
nyctfl (02-19-24)
Old 01-04-24 | 08:34 PM
TXBrian
Driver School Candidate

You can get 90 degree usb adapters off Amazon. I got some and they work fine and allow you to close the door.

URWOOW 2 Pack SuperSpeed USB 3.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZSZQNWP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

AreMe 90 Degree USB 3.0 Adapter 2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6Y8FGQ5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

AreMe 90 Degree USB 3.0 Adapter 2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ7NWL2Z?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I also use the peak design air vent mount and like it.
I also have the pro clip mount but have removed it as I now prefer the peak design mount.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXBrian:
cljones (05-29-24), Piney1 (01-31-24), TN57 (01-04-24)
Old 01-05-24 | 04:26 PM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

I copied Scalded Dogs method, but I am trying the flat mat portion w/o the upright arms to hold the Iphone 13. Worked fine, at least the phone did not slide over into the passengers floorboard the other day when I was on a curvy 2 lane mountain road at night with a couple sharp curves I forgot about. I have a short 1 foot 90* charge cord plugged in, it's a bit short IMO, so I may run a longer 90* cord from the back seat location up along the console and leave the cord in the floor until I need it.

I would like/prefer the sliding door to be closed, but the 1 foot cord won't do it IMO, almost but not completely closed. I'm also considering drilling a small hole in the interior wall of the cubby compartment and running a charge cord out from under the console at the carpet/floor. Just need to find out what is behind that interior wall of the cubby and between the interior piece so I don't do something bad. LOL
Old 01-05-24 | 06:09 PM
John00
Racer

it is possible to put in a wireless charger in the area next to the usb that will also angle the phone towards the driver.
Old 01-06-24 | 11:00 AM
Gxauug
Rookie

I use a wireless apple carplay device and keep the compartment closed (I prefer the neat look - and love the wireless carplay,, which works flawlessly). If I want charging, i run a cable from the rear USB...I am planning on doing s simple mod to run a wire / wireless charging to the center console.

This is the carplay device I use:
https://carlinkitcarplay.com/product...to-to-wireless

This was a device I used in my 4runner, I'd like to figure out a mod for this in the GX.
Amazon Amazon
The following 3 users liked this post by Gxauug:
nyctfl (02-19-24), pllxs (01-06-24), tomas21 (01-31-24)
Old 01-31-24 | 07:06 PM
tomas21
Driver School Candidate

@Gxauug did you ever come up with a solution for charging your iphone in the arm rest center console like you did in your 4runner? Also curious how the wireless carplay device compares to the other 10K products out there ?
Old 01-31-24 | 07:19 PM
Gxauug
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomas21
@Gxauug did you ever come up with a solution for charging your iphone in the arm rest center console like you did in your 4runner? Also curious how the wireless carplay device compares to the other 10K products out there ?
Well, I have a “plan” but haven’t too motivated to of late to get into it…(weather etc.). For the near term, i run a usb cable from the back, so I don’t need to deal with the wires from the front. The general plan would be to tap in the back charger, route power into the center stack, then modify a wireless charger to fit in the center.

With that, I’ve been VERY happy with my carline 5 - it’s quick and reliable. Ive heard on facebook groups the Ottocast is supposed to be excellent as well, though I’ve not been motivated to try it given how well the car link has been working.

Ottocast
tomas21 (01-31-24)
Old 02-01-24 | 04:53 PM
tomas21
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.. I'll look into the Carlinkit 5 vs. ottocast.... that center console arm rest solution with wireless charger inside looks nice... bummer not included in last GX460 model but i'm sure someone will figure out a solution for those of us that don't want have iphone and wireless everywhere.
Old 02-10-24 | 04:14 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Wink

[QUOTE=Gxauug;11644468]I use a wireless apple carplay device and keep the compartment closed (I prefer the neat look - and love the wireless carplay,, which works flawlessly). If I want charging, i run a cable from the rear USB...I am planning on doing s simple mod to run a wire / wireless charging to the center console.

Thanks for the solid recommendation Gxauug. I investigated these last year when I bought my '23, but it seemed like they were all glitchy a year ago. Reviews on this particular model were very good. I just bought the 5.0 air direct from Carlinkit today. They had a valentine's day discount (sweet isn't it :-)) that got it to me right about at $58 delivered. Will offer my impressions once I receive it and use it for a while. Thanks again!

Last edited by Hrocks; 02-10-24 at 04:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hrocks:
Gxauug (02-12-24), tomas21 (02-10-24), Zhulik (03-09-24)
Old 02-12-24 | 09:03 PM
Gxauug
Rookie

[QUOTE=Hrocks;11666831]
Originally Posted by Gxauug
I use a wireless apple carplay device and keep the compartment closed (I prefer the neat look - and love the wireless carplay,, which works flawlessly). If I want charging, i run a cable from the rear USB...I am planning on doing s simple mod to run a wire / wireless charging to the center console.

Thanks for the solid recommendation Gxauug. I investigated these last year when I bought my '23, but it seemed like they were all glitchy a year ago. Reviews on this particular model were very good. I just bought the 5.0 air direct from Carlinkit today. They had a valentine's day discount (sweet isn't it :-)) that got it to me right about at $58 delivered. Will offer my impressions once I receive it and use it for a while. Thanks again!
Let me know how its goes ! I can report - still going strong, no issues. And top tip - hard press the talk button for Siri ! I also found you can use he built in voice in the GX to tune stations and set the temperature !
tomas21 (02-12-24)
Old 02-18-24 | 06:27 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=Gxauug;11668105]
Originally Posted by Hrocks

Let me know how its goes ! I can report - still going strong, no issues. And top tip - hard press the talk button for Siri ! I also found you can use he built in voice in the GX to tune stations and set the temperature !
Got it in a couple of days and installed it. As you know, the original USB to USB-C connector is too big (tall) to allow for the console door to close. I got a 5" double right angle cord for about $7, and it works fine. Question...when connected, does it flash, or fade green, on/off, or is it totally solid green.

Are you using the talk button on the steering wheel to tune the GX radio stations only, or have you found a way for it to interact with CarPlay?
Just a comment, this little device brings the '21-'23 GX's into the edge of the 21st century! 🤣 Love em!

Last edited by Hrocks; 02-18-24 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-18-24 | 06:33 PM
Gxauug
Rookie

[QUOTE=Hrocks;11671400]
Originally Posted by Gxauug

Got it in a couple of days and installed it. As you know, the original USB to USB-C connector it too big (tall) to allow for the console door to close. I got a 5" double right angle cord for about $7 and it works fine. Are you using the talk button on the steering wheel to tune the GX radio stations only, or have you found a way for it to interact with CarPlay?
I use a very small right angle USB as well. The steering wheel talk button will control Siri and CarPlay - use a LONG press. To control the GX assistant use a QUICK press.

Last edited by Gxauug; 02-18-24 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: More elegant USB wiring solution for 2023 GX